Adjust carb on 031 - Impulse line problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an 031av and I rebuilt the carb and can get the low idle set fine but dies immediately when barely pull the trigger to rev up to try to adjust the high on the carb. I first turn the low on carb with screwdriver and get it right until the chain is stopped and the saw is idling fine. Could this possibily be an impulse line problem? However, if I keep opening up the L the saw will run very fast and saw runs like it is almost wide open. I did not think it could be the impulse line if it could run that fast. Open to your suggestions.:confused:

Hmmm... I'd check the carb rebuild again... make sure your diaphragms and gaskets are in the correct order. You said " I first turn the low on carb with screwdriver and get it right until the chain is stopped and the saw is idling fine". That doesn't make sense, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. Opening the L screw and have the saw rev up doesn't make sense either.... as changing the L mixture does nothing for moving the throttle plate. Any chance you have the L and LA screws confused?

Set The L screw (on the carb) 1 1/4 turn out. Set the LA screw until it just touches and moves the throttle. The saw should start, and if it chugs (too rich), turn it back in a fraction (leaner). Find a good mid-point between too lean and too rich. Adjust the LA for decent idle. The H screw should be 1 turn out, for initial setting.

If you want to eliminate the impulse line, just connect a small weed eater gas tank (or coffee can)... directly to the carb with a length of fuel line and hang it about 3 feet above the saw - It will gravity feed the carb.

Thanks Lakeside53

I am going to try and give it one more shot to adjust. If unsuccessful, I will either take her to someone who knows what the heck they are doing, put her up for sale or just trade her off. I do appreciate all your input though!

Check out your carb boot real quick. Try to get a look at it or run your finger around it. I've had a couple cracked/ripped ones in the last few months on 031s. If the size of the crack is small enough the symptoms would match up with yours.

Back