Adjustable False Crotch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an Adjustable Friction Saver on tall palms and spars down here in the subtropics. It is very similar to a regular friction saver except it has a prusik with an extra aluminum ring on it. It can be adjusted from about 4" to a couple of feet. I wrap it around the trunk or spar and it acts like a chinese finger trap when i put my weight on it. I tie in with a Ddrt and my Schwabish. I can work from it, bring it down with me when i am chunking pieces, and it is also retrievable from the ground with any type of friction saver retrieving methods. It is light enough for me to keep it on my saddle. I swear by it. When i first saw it used i swore it was unsafe, but have now been using one for about two years with no failures. Not sure if this is the info you were looking for. Hope it helps somewhat anyways.

...What this thread is talking about is setting up a floating false crotch with a doubled rope system. ...

Yes! "Floating False Crotch with DdRT". Much clearer. Thanks, D Mc, can I use your description? Jepson calling it an "Adjustable False Crotch" on page 50 of second edition TCC causes too much confusion, same term applied to to very different tools of the trade.

Senones, I think this thread was originally addressing something pretty difefrent from what you are referring to. Have you got a copy of Jepson's "Tree Climber's Companion" ? Look at page 50.

I use an Adjustable Friction Saver on tall palms and spars down here in the subtropics. It is very similar to a regular friction saver except it has a prusik with an extra aluminum ring on it. It can be adjusted from about 4" to a couple of feet. I wrap it around the trunk or spar and it acts like a chinese finger trap when i put my weight on it. I tie in with a Ddrt and my Schwabish. I can work from it, bring it down with me when i am chunking pieces, and it is also retrievable from the ground with any type of friction saver retrieving methods. It is light enough for me to keep it on my saddle. I swear by it. When i first saw it used i swore it was unsafe, but have now been using one for about two years with no failures. Not sure if this is the info you were looking for. Hope it helps somewhat anyways.

I do that on palms too, I know just what you mean, works well!:)

Back