Adjusting H screw only for milling/ General tuning questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got them out John!

No the manual settings will now be inappropriate since the factory set the adjusters at an initial value (I think is it's 1 turn?) and the limiters provide ~3/4 of variation (I think?) around this range.

I probably the best the thing to do is set the H to about 1+1/2, and the L to about 1+1/4 at first (don't overtighten - the threads are quite fine). Tweak the idle screw to get a highish idle to get things up and and running. I now use the manual's (this is from my ms341) proscribed way to fine tune set up the L and idle screws:

View attachment 546041
A variation of the above will work for a lot of saws. If you don't have a tach then 3,300 is usually just less the than having the chain slowly turned by a slipping clutch. (i.e. increase idle screw till chain catches then back off) and 2800 is a smooth, but lively idle.

I guess the others can help you with the H screw setting.

Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the reply.
I ordered a tach and it should be here tomorrow so I'll tune by ear and rpm shooting for rich on the H side. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.
I ordered a tach and it should be here tomorrow so I'll tune by ear and rpm shooting for rich on the H side. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cool. A tach is always helpful to get a ballpark.

So I was going to mention the drywall screw, which worked fine on a MS460 I had some years back, but Brad got to it first. Thanks again, Brad, for the great idea!

Aparently I have yet to master the art of multi-quoting a post.....

Back