Advancing ignition timing on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advance the timing very much and you get the handle snatched through your fingers

My understanding is this. With a ported saw, you generally gain RPM. With a gain in RPM, you need to start the burn "sooner" to get maximum power. Think of it as if you were pushing someone on a swing. If you wait too long to push, you only get your finger tips on them and you don't transmit as much power.

My understanding is this. With a ported saw, you generally gain RPM. With a gain in RPM, you need to start the burn "sooner" to get maximum power. Think of it as if you were pushing someone on a swing. If you wait too long to push, you only get your finger tips on them and you don't transmit as much power.

I like how you explain that. Thank you.

Most engines that I have worked on start to ping or rattle when timing has gone too far. Yes big damage can occur pretty fast with timing gone awry. I have gone as much as 9 degrees advance with great results. Because of altitude. I would suspect that one to three degrees if you are under 3,000 feet would be OK. At 8,000 feet I like to kick them up at least 5 degrees. Fuel burns slower at greater altitudes, but if you are at 1,000 feet or less then do not get too aggressive. Thanks

Most engines that I have worked on start to ping or rattle when timing has gone too far. Yes big damage can occur pretty fast with timing gone awry. I have gone as much as 9 degrees advance with great results. Because of altitude. I would suspect that one to three degrees if you are under 3,000 feet would be OK. At 8,000 feet I like to kick them up at least 5 degrees. Fuel burns slower at greater altitudes, but if you are at 1,000 feet or less then do not get too aggressive. Thanks
great point !

good analogy

Even most otherwise stock saws benefit from some additional timing advance.
The only issue I have with that line of thinking is fuel quality ... maybe a non-issue in your area however in my locale you can literally see 1-4 mpg differences in fuel economy depending on which station you fill up at ! Several of us have tested this on 100 mi highway treks with cruise control set at 65 and observed said results ... if you happen to get low-budget fuel with a higher-compression engine and advanced timing it may be enough to cause damage !

Computers do all the timing adjustments on today’s cars , and yes, better quality fuel means better fuel mileage. The real damage to modern vehicles related to fuel is the fuel system itself, fuel pumps, injectors, filters etc.:cool:
True ... I was using the vehicle mileage stat to “prove” that the fuel Quality isn’t uniform in my locale ... put some of this sub-par fuel in your 2-stroke piston ported engine that’s had the compression raised and timing advanced enough ... well ... I’ll leave it to the forum members to extrapolate....

The only issue I have with that line of thinking is fuel quality ... maybe a non-issue in your area however in my locale you can literally see 1-4 mpg differences in fuel economy depending on which station you fill up at ! Several of us have tested this on 100 mi highway treks with cruise control set at 65 and observed said results ... if you happen to get low-budget fuel with a higher-compression engine and advanced timing it may be enough to cause damage !
Are you talking about stations selling clear gas? If not then your mythbuster test has no relevance to this discussion.

Are you talking about stations selling clear gas? If not then your mythbuster test has no relevance to this discussion.
Myth buster test ? Did you read my comment above regarding vehicles getting varying mileage according to which station and brand of fuel they used ? May not be true in YOUR location and the fuel may be fine there ... the relevance is that caca fuel can scrap a completely STOCK Saw let alone a modded one who’s timing has been advanced ... the op asked a question ... why not answer it ?

Latest posts

Back