Advertising Help..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how your area works, so I will tell you what worked for us in our area.

Forget the internet for now. Get in the phone book, newspaper ads classified type advertisments, and hit every bulletin board for as far as you are willing to travel, magnetic signs for your vehicles, tell everyone you know and anyone else you can think of, tree companies even they get back logged, fliers on poles, if you have the $ radio add also work good. All of this type advertising will reach far more people than the net could ever possibly get to. If you get a good word of mouth going, by good hard honest work and go above and beyond even with small things, you won't be able to keep up with that let alone and online advertising. If you get all this flying high and tight and feel you can grow and handle more than I would get to the online world.

Like I said this worked for us in our area. I can't imagine why it would not work just as good in your area.

Owl

Last edited:
Find a reputable local advertiser/coupon clipper magazine.

Do not use TSD! You will be chasing ghosts and competing against bubba who grinds stumps while drinking a cold beer.

Local newspaper ad.

Contact all the local tree services who may not even have a grinder. I do not have one and will not as I have two very good and dependable people just like you who do it at a reasonable price.

Best of luck to you on the endeavor!

Thanks for all the help.
I have paid for some advertising but I have to say 100% of my jobs have come from CraigsList.
We are starting our winter season in the Chicago area so business will be winding down for the next few months. I might try a month in the local paper to see if I get any hits ($265 a month).

For a single person operation, I would stay away from yellow pages and like mass advertising, you will spend all your time chasing estimates. I prefer direct flyers to specific neighborhoods, lets you target one area and keeps all the work together. Also contact local real estate offices. Someone else said landscapers and tree services that do not already have equipment. Good Luck.

For a single person operation, I would stay away from yellow pages and like mass advertising, you will spend all your time chasing estimates. I prefer direct flyers to specific neighborhoods, lets you target one area and keeps all the work together. Also contact local real estate offices. Someone else said landscapers and tree services that do not already have equipment. Good Luck.

Ya if your one guy, and you wanted to keep your over head low i def. have to agree. Printing something off your computer and going to a place like Staples...is really, really cheap...and gas well sure is not cheap..but hey like we agreed upon a few minutes ago on another thread.

"Pass it on to the customer"

Being a stumper though i would think landscape companies, tree services...i would call them up or go down to there shop...and meet in person let your service known.

Power of the word is powerful, and free.

Just my thought.

I second the comment about TSD. I tried them a while and never even got a single opportunity to bid... I would get the notice and the customer would say the work had already been done.

For me, Craig's List has been my best advertising resource. It's free and around here anyway, people use it a lot. I get 1 to 3 jobs a week from it.

I also give business cards to everybody I talk to... other parents at school, people I run into in the coffee shop or hardware store... I tell everybody what I do and ask them to give my card to anybody that might need tree work... last week I did a $600 job for a guy who picked me up when my car broke down about 6 months ago. I give out cards at every opportunity.

It's taken about a year but now I get several calls a week to look at jobs and my close rate is somewhere around 80%

I second the comment about TSD. I tried them a while and never even got a single opportunity to bid... I would get the notice and the customer would say the work had already been done.

For me, Craig's List has been my best advertising resource. It's free and around here anyway, people use it a lot. I get 1 to 3 jobs a week from it.

I also give business cards to everybody I talk to... other parents at school, people I run into in the coffee shop or hardware store... I tell everybody what I do and ask them to give my card to anybody that might need tree work... last week I did a $600 job for a guy who picked me up when my car broke down about 6 months ago. I give out cards at every opportunity.

It's taken about a year but now I get several calls a week to look at jobs and my close rate is somewhere around 80%

I have never used TSD...or anything like it...so i don't want to speak about that

But seconds Craigslist...and handing business cards out to everybody...is key..and a great thing

Not sure on Craig's List....

Craig's List is a bit tricky - it is free advertising, but it is free for every clown in the city with a chainsaw and pickup truck...
To me, there are two types of people on CL - people who like to use small, local business and then the 'garage salers' - those who think everything in the world should be offered with a discount. My advice would be to use CL sparingly and selectively...
Today, I talk to a potential CL customer about the removal of a70' pine in the backyard (wires / utilities and fence, a lowering job, no floppin'.) She was trying to 'beat the other estimate she got.' I'm thinking another offer is $1400 - $1700, so my $850 bid for the removal should have me back on her property in a couple of weeks. She sarcastically states that she should call the other guy back and his $320 bid. I told her if he has the insurance, I would do it (call him back) in a heartbeat, and good luck, etc....
I agree with contacting tree companies. Other than that, be on time, act professional, and don't leave a mess and word of mouth will keep you busy in no time at all...

Def. there are two types of people on Craigslist...but its Free...to post upon.

I here worst things about the Penny Saver.

grinding pays the bills, chainsaws are for fun and create the stumps...

1. talk to all the tree guys in your area. if they dont own a grinder, offer a spotter fee for any jobs they refer. dont muck them around either. shout them a few beers at xmas!

2. signwriting on your vehicle works wonders. when doing a job, park your vehicle on the road not in the drive. this way ppl driving passed see what you're all about.

3. business cards. you will be driving everywhere, when you spot a stump in someones front yard, drop a card in the letterbox.

4. small trade adds in the back of the local paper. only a couple of bucks, and brings in 10x what you invest.

5. toll free number to your mobile so you never miss a quote. be first on the spot, and when you give a quote offer a discount for doing the job there and then so you dont have to come back. works every time and keeps your competition off the site.

6. if the neighbours come outside and look at what your doing when on site, talk to them for a few minutes. they probably have stumps too...

part II next week, cant give all the secrets away!:greenchainsaw:

I know others have said to aviod the yellow pages if you are just a solo guy BUT... If you advertise some tree services such as trimming or removals and get set up with a good outfit, you could trade them the removal and trim work for more stumps. Of course make sure you are with a good outfit that wont take advantage of you or give you bad name. Wont cost a thing more to add this to your yellow page add though.

6. if the neighbours come outside and look at what your doing when on site, talk to them for a few minutes. they probably have stumps too...

This is huge, i dont no stumps (dont own a grinder)...but any jobs, i love getting into a neighborhood...and getting 2-3 other jobs from neighbors.

I have gotten 100% of my work for the last 6 months from ads on craigslist alone, I have no other ads any where, I may have gotten 4 jobs by word of mouth.

and what is TSD??

Hey buddy . Put a large sign on the back of your machine ! Stop Me - I Grind Um Cheap ! Around here they call & ask you to drive by & leave a bid. If your the cheapest, you get the job as long as you haul the shavings.

TSD - Tree Service Direct.

I will let other guys tell you stories, as i have never used it.

If you use TSD you will find new lows in tree work prices. You will be amazed people can work that cheap and still eat hot food. You will believe all your competition must be able to hack down a huge hazardous tree in a matter of seconds without threatening any property. You will also inevitably meet your competition at a bid and realize you are quoting against Alfonzo and son the illegal immigrant/uninsured/unskilled/home depot chainsaw/unlicensed/ non tax paying//drunk/drugged up morons who should not even be trusted with a pocket knife much less a chainsaw.

Other than that TSD is a great tool for burning gas running around quoting work you will not get.

I stopped using them a few months back and my advertising money now goes into the local coupon booklet mailed out monthly with much better results.

If you use TSD you will find new lows in tree work prices. You will be amazed people can work that cheap and still eat hot food. You will believe all your competition must be able to hack down a huge hazardous tree in a matter of seconds without threatening any property. You will also inevitably meet your competition at a bid and realize you are quoting against Alfonzo and son the illegal immigrant/uninsured/unskilled/home depot chainsaw/unlicensed/ non tax paying//drunk/drugged up morons who should not even be trusted with a pocket knife much less a chainsaw.

Other than that TSD is a great tool for burning gas running around quoting work you will not get.

I stopped using them a few months back and my advertising money now goes into the local coupon booklet mailed out monthly with much better results.

Sounds like a great investment... got a big tree, need a skylight in the roof? Lawsuit - yes please! got cash? call now.

Latest posts

Back