Advertising

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How do some of you advertise other than the phone book, I use Graig's List often and have got a few jobs from it and putting out cards and flyer's which I don't seem to get many jobs off those, i get most of my work by word of mouth but I need more work. How can I get it? what's your tricks for finding jobs?

personally...

word of mouth ~40% of my work
phone book~10%
city permits~25% of the work i get is off the city permit lists.
the other 25% is by dropping off cards, craigs list actually works pretty good, or by neighboors seeing me working.

word of mouth and Graigslist is getting me my work right now but I'm not getting enough, I just started in January full time on my own and need more work but don't want to go door to door cause to me that is not very professional you know the line "i was just in the neighborhood" I hate that but maybe I need to start doing it, got to eat and pay the bills.

word of mouth and Graigslist is getting me my work right now but I'm not getting enough, I just started in January full time on my own and need more work but don't want to go door to door cause to me that is not very professional you know the line "i was just in the neighborhood" I hate that but maybe I need to start doing it, got to eat and pay the bills.

i know alot of people who make alot of money doing that....

heck, we did it today, working across the street, maple tree starting to die, $125 in 20 minutes...

we were already there, easier than driving back... or not going back at all and not making $125

pride VS. income....

I know this thread is old, but if anyone is out there this is the question I have at the moment.
Currently I advertise on GumTree (Australian version of Graigslist) and have Google and Bing business listings - it's just I'm not getting enough work. Any ideas of the best media? Letterbox drops? Telemarketing? Radio ads? Print media? Other websites? Help!

I know this thread is old, but if anyone is out there this is the question I have at the moment.
Currently I advertise on GumTree (Australian version of Graigslist) and have Google and Bing business listings - it's just I'm not getting enough work. Any ideas of the best media? Letterbox drops? Telemarketing? Radio ads? Print media? Other websites? Help!
A lot of people in our area still look up businesses in the yellow pages of the phone book. I have signs on my work truck and a sign beside my driveway. I paid to have brochures dropped at letterboxes once but didn't get much work from that type of advertising. Radio ads at the right time of day for a certain number of days are supposed to be effective. I haven't tried them though.
My first rule when people leave a message on the answering machine or text me is to return the call/ text as soon as I can. Customers really appreciate that. Good luck.

I haven't used a phone book in probably 15 years. They are like VCRs, libraries, pagers, and Members Only jackets...

Google is a big one.

Type in "firewood" here and I'm tge first listing.

How big of a job can you take on?
Can you service a project with many trees and a completion date?
If so, you call and market to property management company's.
Jeff

I haven't used a phone book in probably 15 years. They are like VCRs, libraries, pagers, and Members Only jackets...

Google is a big one.

Type in "firewood" here and I'm tge first listing.

So what's the trick ValleyFirewood on dominating Google?
I'd like a steady increase in customers so I can ramp up the size of my business. After that I'd look into going for rail corridor contracts. I've had a few years in the rail industry and hold a protection officer card so I think I'd be able to be cost effective.

Thanks Jeffsaw for your comments. I think I have undervalued signage and will look into a few strategically located signs. Cheers!

I used Google business, plus I have a good website guy that made the site "Google friendly"

Letting people know who you are and what you do can be hard. What I did several years ago when I started y hydroseeding company was contact anybody and everybody that I thought might become future and long term customers. I knew home owners would be a one time project installing a lawn. Once done, you might get some word of mouth advertising, but there just wasnt the potential for a lot for repeat business from a single home owner. What I did was I made up a trifold brochure with a mailing label on one fold. Lots of pics and info as to the type of work I could do. I mailed those brochures to every real estate agency in my area. I included a business card. What I found was that the realitors would look at the brochure and then throw it in the trash, but the business card they would put in their rolidex. I also went the to builder inspectors office and got a list of all the licensed builders and sent all of those a brochure and a business card. I then looked in the yellow pages and got a list of all the grading contractors and sent them brochures and business cards. Realitors sent me home buyers that wanted to redo existing lawns and sometime new lawn installs. Building contractors would contact me to install lawns, and grading contractors would call for erosion control. It went from myself and my wife doing a couple of laws a month part time to having three trucks and three crews seeding full time in less than 6 months. Ended up with more work than I could handle and working 7 days a week. I never sent out another brochure or did any other form of advertising after that first mailing. I did apply for and receive a Dunns Number, which placed me on a national list of contractors. Being on the Dunn list makes you company visible to other companies, including government contracts, that might be bidding on a large project in your area. Those large contractors will look for anybody in the area that can provide them a bid as a sub contractor for a portion of the much larger project that they are bidding on. I think my approach of targeting possible repeat customers was way more effective than trying to target single one time homeowner customers. I liked it when a homeowner called me up for a job, but I liked it much better when Joe or John contractor called me up up to do 2 or 3 jobs. I really liked it when Tom Contractor called me up because the EPA told him to fix something or get shut down and start getting fined daily. At that point they will do anything and pay anything to to get into compliance and since they needed and wanted it done NOW!, you didnt have to compete against other bidders.

Latest posts

Back