"Solid steel bar" for Alaskan mills? (oops)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I milled with a Shindaiwa 67.9cc saw this weekend with a laminate bar and it cut well even in ash but I wanna get a used 80cc or 90cc saw. I wonder if the ancient 120cc saws would be any good for milling.
They’d actually be your best option, bigger is always better with milling

Found a used G777 for $50 plus change for shipping, so almost ready to give it a go. Ripping chain should be here next week. Toyed with getting Granberg bar and chain but both are out of stock.

This will be good enough to get a taste as see how I feel about it.

I am a bit nervous about mix and carb setting. Figure to go around 40, maybe 32 to 1 and tune a bit fat, Or maybe just go thick on mix and slow on the milling.

Here I thought I was special for thinking of using that stuff [I always wrongly call it duct strapping] to secure my ladder.
Agreed. It works well - keeps the ladder secure and you don't have to punch holes in the ladder.

The only way a G777 mill makes sense, particularly with an 029, is with lo pro chain and a GB solid steel lo pro bar. It's the setup I've used on a 64cc Makita, and the saw doesn't blink using it. A 54cc 029 would be more than enough power to run small lo pro comfortably. You're doing 15" wood or less with a G777 (17-18" max cut with a 20" bar on the open ended mill but above 15" width risks deflection a bit too much). But here's the catch - America hasn't caught on to lo pro milling and nothing is available. Have to buy bar and lo pro sprocket from Chainsawbars website in the UK, though offbrand 20" lo pro ripping chain can be bought dirt cheap on Ebay. The entire starter setup with two high quality Stihl PMX chains (best lo pro chain there is, largely not sold in the US), bar and sprocket is $201 w free shipping from the UK. https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/prod...e-links-read-and-check-description-carefully/

Fordsoll said:

If you are set on a Solid Steel bar then Granberg (GB) And Tsumura make them, even some Husqvarna bars are made by GB.

Just to set the record straight, GB bars are NOT made by Granberg.

GB is an Australian company, they do produce Very Good bars. I don’t know if they are still the supplier for longer Husqvarna bars, but in the past they produced Husqvarna branded bars in 44”, 50”, 60” and 72”.

Unfortunately, the 50” bars went NLA( No Longer Available) before I bought one, the 50” is still available (last time I checked) from GB, with their own branding, but the price had gone up substantially, plus shipping from Australia, I couldn’t justify the cost at the time, and I haven’t researched the current prices

I own three GB bars, the 44”, 60”, and 72”and I have been Very Happy with the 44”, I haven’t needed the 60” and 72” bars yet, that tree escaped me 😢, although I do wish that I had gotten the 50”, while they were still available in the USA 🇺🇸.

I have felt that GB bars and Granberg Milling equipment have both been worth the extra price, compared to other cheaper options

IMG_2473.jpeg
The 60” GB bar mounted in my 3120XP

IMG_3308.jpeg
The 44” bar on the 3120XP, mounted in my 48” Granberg Mill, the 50” bar that eluded me, would have come very close to maxing out the 48” mill, the 44” bar leaves a lot of capacity unusable with the 48” mill, but is a great bar for my 36” mill

IMG_0560.jpegIMG_0566.jpeg
IMG_0564.jpeg
The Big Maple 🍁, that partly got away,
This was across the street from me, the neighbor was going to give me the whole thing (Simon’s Tree Service, put it on the ground), but he ended up getting an offer for the trunk from the butt to just below the crotch. I did get all the rest of the usable logs 🪵

IMG_8989.jpeg
Milling one log from a Spruce that a Friend of my Wife had cut down. I’m Glad we did a drive by before going to cut it up, she told my Wife, that it was “Oh, about 40’ tall “. 😳uhm, Mary, that’s closer to 40” Diameter, than it is 40’ tall. Yeah, I was thinking a 50cc saw, and 45 minutes or less to cut and load, NOPE.

IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
A spur of the moment project that I left for Mary, really too low to be a table, and kinda wide to be a bench, but it just “looked right “ in that spot, and Mary was really tickled when she saw it

Doug 😎

Found a used G777 for $50 plus change for shipping, so almost ready to give it a go. Ripping chain should be here next week. Toyed with getting Granberg bar and chain but both are out of stock.

This will be good enough to get a taste as see how I feel about it.

I am a bit nervous about mix and carb setting. Figure to go around 40, maybe 32 to 1 and tune a bit fat, Or maybe just go thick on mix and slow on the milling.
If you up the oil in mix, do not fail to RETUNE richer, as it will be lean and run hotter if not because more oil= less gas per gram of fuel mix.

Latest posts

Back