Husky 450 Rancher & Granberg G777

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! I see no problem milling that size, shouldn't tax the saw at all til the chain dulls. Dirty bark in Doug Fir is one thing that will dull chains quickly and bandsawers run into problems with hardened pitch pockets making the blades wander, but that's not a chainsaw mill issue. The only concern would be unhardened sap gumming up chains, but I've never heard much about that being a DF issue, more in pine. It it happens, soak the chain in solvent or much better yet, get a $60 ultrasonic cleaner off Amazon and clean your chains in it with Simple Green or Purple Power solution. For sharpening which is everyone's Achilles heel, the Pferd 2 in 1 sharpeners on Amazon for about $40 seem to be the best filing system anyone has come up with yet that people get consistent results with. Tree service guy I get logs from said he couldn't master filing chains til he got the Stihl version of the 2 in 1 (same as the Pferd for $20 more) and now his chains cut so much better. The reference angles on them are for 30 degree chain, but you can put 10 degree markings on them to help keep you aligned at the right angle when filing ripping chain - or just eyeball it and follow the existing angle of the teeth, that's what I do most of the time. Whole key to your system working well with the 450R is keeping those chains sharp as possible and it will mow right through 14-16" Doug Fir.
I picked up a 2 & 1 Stihl for my Makita 36v ... works great. I've had no issue keeping it sharp and have stopped swapping chains for new ones (haha). For my Husky I picked up a knock off ... I've mostly read that thee files are tough to get out but aside from that are nearly as good as the Stihl.

Thanks for the feedback George ... great advice.

I picked up a 2 & 1 Stihl for my Makita 36v ... works great. I've had no issue keeping it sharp and have stopped swapping chains for new ones (haha). For my Husky I picked up a knock off ... I've mostly read that thee files are tough to get out but aside from that are nearly as good as the Stihl.

Thanks for the feedback George ... great advice.
I woulda bought the knock off for $20 figuring how much could they screw up copying that but for some reason the cheap ones are badly reviewed and everyone rates the Pferd's incredibly well. (Someone said Pferd makes the Stihl one? Not sure.) Was going to warn you on the small log mill - do not clamp too close to the powerhead or the blade will get pushed a little cockeyed and your slabs will be uneven. Getting rails dead level for a first cut is really hard too, so you often end up with twist that needs correcting. You're just using long rails on brackets? There's going to be some sag on those rails unless they're shimmed in the middle. Brand new chain is super grabby and will bog down a small saw easily so you have to let it feed itself as you learned and not push much at all. Even with that saw, not sure the first cut should have been more than ten minutes. I'm just used to uniformly hard wood, though, not softwood with rock hard knots which can slow you down quite a bit when you hit them. Make sure to put wedges in as you go to keep the cut open (just the thickness of the cut, don't drive the wedges in).

I woulda bought the knock off for $20 figuring how much could they screw up copying that but for some reason the cheap ones are badly reviewed and everyone rates the Pferd's incredibly well. (Someone said Pferd makes the Stihl one? Not sure.) Was going to warn you on the small log mill - do not clamp too close to the powerhead or the blade will get pushed a little cockeyed and your slabs will be uneven. Getting rails dead level for a first cut is really hard too, so you often end up with twist that needs correcting. What rail system are you using? Brand new chain is super grabby and will bog down a small saw easily so you have to let it feed itself as you learned and not push much at all. Even with that saw, not sure the cut should have been more than five to seven minutes. Make sure to put wedges in as you go to keep the cut open (just the thickness of the cut, don't drive the wedges in).
Yup, did use wedges ... much of it was me just taking my time figuring it out. Also, still working through the optimal tune of my saw. I'm ok with 4 stroke carbs but learning 2 stroke carbs on the fly. I've read that running slightly rich will give you more torque. Just trying to be careful not to run too lean. I'll pull the plug after another cut and see if I'm in an good place or not. Also, at this elevation im sure I'm running the equivalent of a 45cc.

Anyhow, a storm is rolling in so I'll likely get back to it tomorrow. Feel relatively accomplished with that top cut. Honestly figured it would turn out a lot choppier than it did. I've seen a few videos that really looked awful comparatively speaking.

Yup, did use wedges ... much of it was me just taking my time figuring it out. Also, still working through the optimal tune of my saw. I'm ok with 4 stroke carbs but learning 2 stroke carbs on the fly. I've read that running slightly rich will give you more torque. Just trying to be careful not to run too lean. I'll pull the plug after another cut and see if I'm in an good place or not. Also, at this elevation im sure I'm running the equivalent of a 45cc.

Anyhow, a storm is rolling in so I'll likely get back to it tomorrow. Feel relatively accomplished with that top cut. Honestly figured it would turn out a lot choppier than it did. I've seen a few videos that really looked awful comparatively speaking.
I was going to congratulate you on how butter smooth it was. As you say, most of what I see is worse. People push too much most of the time, that's what makes cuts so bad, grabbing and diving. The advantage to being patient and underpowered is you can't push too hard and cuts tend to be smoother. A light touch is everything. You're off to a good start - I adjusted my post to say probably no more than 10 minutes for that cut - five to seven is a bit ambitious for that saw at that altitude. Stick with slow and steady. I thought one to one and a quarter turns out was kinda standard for most high speed jets. By yours being 3.5 turns, do you mean 180 degree turns not 360 degree turns? Cause I can't see it running at 3.5 entire turns, would be incredibly rich. Even if that's 1.75 entire turns, that's still kinda rich.

I was going to congratulate you on how butter smooth it was. As you say, most of what I see is worse. People push too much most of the time, that's what makes cuts so bad, grabbing and diving. The advantage to being patient and underpowered is you can't push too hard and cuts tend to be smoother. A light touch is everything. You're off to a good start - I adjusted my post to say probably no more than 10 minutes for that cut - five to seven is a bit ambitious for that saw at that altitude. Stick with slow and steady. I thought one to one and a quarter turns out was kinda standard for most high speed jets. By yours being 3.5 turns, do you mean 180 degree turns not 360 degree turns? Cause I can't see it running at 3.5 entire turns, would be incredibly rich. Even if that's 1.75 entire turns, that's still kinda rich.
3.5 full turns ... it barely ran when I got it. I did pick up an inductive tach so I was able to set the low idle nicely and it now starts and idles beautifully. And sorry ... it was the low side that was 3.5 turns not the high side. I'm sure it was just bad QC at the factory. Built on a Friday probably.

10 mins per cut on an average sized log will be awesome. I believe it's possible.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Not sure I'd have resolved my bar / chain issues without this forum.

Kirk

I woulda bought the knock off for $20 figuring how much could they screw up copying that but for some reason the cheap ones are badly reviewed and everyone rates the Pferd's incredibly well. (Someone said Pferd makes the Stihl one? Not sure.) Was going to warn you on the small log mill - do not clamp too close to the powerhead or the blade will get pushed a little cockeyed and your slabs will be uneven. Getting rails dead level for a first cut is really hard too, so you often end up with twist that needs correcting. You're just using long rails on brackets? There's going to be some sag on those rails unless they're shimmed in the middle. Brand new chain is super grabby and will bog down a small saw easily so you have to let it feed itself as you learned and not push much at all. Even with that saw, not sure the first cut should have been more than ten minutes. I'm just used to uniformly hard wood, though, not softwood with rock hard knots which can slow you down quite a bit when you hit them. Make sure to put wedges in as you go to keep the cut open (just the thickness of the cut, don't drive the wedges in).
Right, using brackets with pretty heavy duty rails. Only 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 but pretty heavy gauge. At 11ft I have to lean into them to get much flex.

3.5 full turns ... it barely ran when I got it. I did pick up an inductive tach so I was able to set the low idle nicely and it now starts and idles beautifully. And sorry ... it was the low side that was 3.5 turns not the high side. I'm sure it was just bad QC at the factory. Built on a Friday probably.
I've never tried to tune my Ranchers well, if they ran I was fine because they've been the occasional use saw. But one I put a cheap new carb on is way off and you talking about this made me get around to ordering a kit w one of those splined jet adjusters so I can adjust them easily and get them tuned right. Funny how much I've worked on some of my saws (the bottomless pit of the 87cc Stihls) and others I haven't done even the most basic adjustments on lol.

I've never tried to tune my Ranchers well, if they ran I was fine because they've been the occasional use saw. But one I put a cheap new carb on is way off and you talking about this made me get around to ordering a kit w one of those splined jet adjusters so I can adjust them easily and get them tuned right. Funny how much I've worked on some of my saws (the bottomless pit of the 87cc Stihls) and others I haven't done even the most basic adjustments on lol.
Most if not all of my lawn equipment has been pretty much pay and go with no issues. Then I go and buy a top name husky and it struggled to start. Had to wait for a spline tool before I could use it much. And where I’m at the big A***** takes about a week or longer to deliver. I’ve been working towards that first cut for the better part of 6 weeks :)

Right, using brackets with pretty heavy duty rails. Only 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 but pretty heavy gauge. At 11ft I have to lean into them to get much flex.
Four sided rails, not open on one side? If 12 gauge, then yeah, those should be rock solid. I found 12 gauge 10' Unistrut (1 5/8 x 1 5/8) to have more flex than I expected (maybe an 1/8" over a 6' span if I lean on it) given how heavy duty it seemed, but it's semi open on one side and full of holes on another side. Ladders don't have much flex but all the light ones I've used are easy to twist. I have 10' Unistrut joined with threaded rod every foot and a half like a ladder that I just rigged up. I prefer to run on the rails every cut, not just the first cut, and with a rigid ladder-like long level setup I can keep checking for twist in the cut and shim to adjust. Before I assembled the new Unistrut setup, I tried just using the Unistrut as rails in bracket notches for the first cut like you're doing, and you can get everything leveled, but then screwing in the end brackets I would all too often end up pushing it a bit out of level again. All the endless leveling of that approach seems bothersome. I made up my 10" wide Unistrut setup because ladders are too wide to run on the surface of small log slabs. Using it every cut just makes starting and ending each cut so much more level, aside from correcting any twist. All that being said, I've started doing more cuts running on the slab face with the small log mill, because the lightness of the saw and mill setup with that makes it way easier to start and end a cut level than with a big heavy rig. And no time wasted resetting brackets.

I spent a good chunk of time researching different methods. Didn’t like ladders for the reasons you mentioned. Plus I couldn’t find a 12ft plain Jane ladder that would work for me. If I had one laying around I likely would have used it. The rails that folks like Granberg and the Chinese sell looked way too flimsy and most required bracketing of sorts along the length of the log. 2x4’s were out of the question as they had too much flex at 8+ feet. 2x6’s seemed to tall in the notched brackets. The one piece of unistrut I tested at 8ft was like you said pretty flexible. I ended up getting square steel tubing from a metal supplier …. All 4 sides solid, I believe it was 12 gauge costing me $140. The brackets are a bit of a pain but in reality the wood will twist a bit as it dries (even with some weight) not to mention what you get from the big box stores. So, over 10ft length I can handle a slight … and I say slight twist. I will try dropping the rails back down at some point on a flat cut just to see what works better. Also, considering welding some cross members but my welder is in phoenix. However, a ladder made from the steel I’m using would be awesomeness if I can weld it flat (not a lot of flatness up in the Rockies). Long term it would be nice to have legs / jacks that hold the rails above the log and can be adjusted for each cut. However, that’s basically building an entire mill and defeats portability. That said, the cross members would likely be the next move as they would help eliminate twisting. Maybe I’ll seek out a welding shop. The should be able to weld it pretty darn flat.

Also, I’m currently looking to mill 10ft to shore up the 2x4s my shed builder used on my shed loft. After that I’m dropping down to 8ft length for most everything else. Seems like I have it all figured out … NOT!!!

Just laid one of the rails back on the log since there was a break in the rain and I was “board”. Looks like the weight of the saw resulted in 1/4” bow over the 10ft run. Not too bad. A shim in the center should eliminate that.

You're well on the way - spent more time thinking it out than most. Building router sled setups for planing slabs I learned a lot about how anything but 12 gauge rectangular tubing had flex over a span. Even dug out the engineer in me and found a deflection calculator for different things - angle vs tubing, etc. Wood has always struck me as a nonstarter because wood warps - good luck getting 12' straight anything (2x4, 2x6) and keeping it straight. You're entirely right that nothing will be more bombproof than square/rectangular tubing with welded crossmembers. But same here, I don't have a large flat surface anywhere to weld on. (A woodworking friend when I complained about lack of level surfaces to true things on said "flat is just a myth" lol. Beginning to feel like that.) BobL on here overlaps 10' sticks Unistrut by about 3' when he wants to mill logs longer than 8'. That keeps you from having to have one giant rail system to do everything with. He uses cross members of 1/2" threaded rod like I'm using bolting it together. Using threaded rod also lets you change it from narrow rails to wide ones depending on the size log you're milling. I might switch to square tubing instead of Unistrut at some point and drill it every couple of feet to bolt it together in the same way. Unistrut is often sold mildly warped at Lowes or Home Depot which makes it harder to create something straight. Heavy tubing is almost never warped. Need to go to the local industrial metal recycling yard, they've had so much random product there, used to get flat bar, angle, and tubing for 30 cents a pound, but a really random selection and a lot of it insanely overkill heavy (got a bunch of sticks of 4" x 5/8" flat bar there for example). I've got a big 20" drill press I can drill 1/2" holes in tubing all day long with.
I've seen a lot of people on the FB milling group proclaim their ladder/unistrut/whatever is rock solid, but hardly any are milling for their own woodworking use so don't care about precision or just say who cares if it's off, that's what their router planer sled is for. At some point I got tired of giving myself an extra 1/2" or even an inch of wood in every slab to waste correcting it later (with a lot more work) and thought, I want my wood milled as true and smooth as I can get to start, strap the hell out of it so it doesn't move, and I'll save myself a lot of wasted wood and wasted time.

Just laid one of the rails back on the log since there was a break in the rain and I was “board”. Looks like the weight of the saw resulted in 1/4” bow over the 10ft run. Not too bad. A shim in the center should eliminate that.
Yup, one shim and you'll be good. Probably have to go to 2x3 12 gauge tubing to have zero flex over a 10' span. Or just cross members which would take all the flex out of your rails. Most people live with that amount of bow in their slabs, but for precision woodworking that's a 1/4" that has to be taken out of each side to level the board, and suddenly there's a 1/2" of wood wasted. For timber framing however that kind of bow really doesn't matter. I've always wanted to invent some kind of cheap steam bending press to flatten out warped wood again lol so I don't waste so much planing it. Sometimes if I catch it before it's dried too much I'll put 100-150 lbs of cast stone in the middle of a slab with the ends on blocks to try to reverse the bow.

I picked up some 8' lengths of reasonably heavy extruded aluminum angle (about 2.5" x 3.5") from the local scrap metal yard. Screwed them to a 10" wide piece of ¾" ply board & find that more than adequate for the shorter stuff I mill.
Longer cuts I have a 20' steel C-beam as used for steel shed framing. I'd be guessing that's about 3" x 10"

I picked up some 8' lengths of reasonably heavy extruded aluminum angle (about 2.5" x 3.5") from the local scrap metal yard. Screwed them to a 10" wide piece of ¾" ply board & find that more than adequate for the shorter stuff I mill.
Longer cuts I have a 20' steel C-beam as used for steel shed framing. I'd be guessing that's about 3" x 10"
Hah … when the guide rails require a fork lift :) I did consider aluminum angle wrapped 2x4s but figured the 2x4s would warp and bend the angle. Plywood on edge is likely much better.

BobL on here overlaps 10' sticks Unistrut by about 3' when he wants to mill logs longer than 8'. That keeps you from having to have one giant rail system to do everything with. He uses cross members of 1/2" threaded rod like I'm using bolting it together. Using threaded rod also lets you change it from narrow rails to wide ones depending on the size log you're milling.
Didn’t consider all thread for cross members. Might be a good way to go. I like the adjustability aspect of it.

Not sure if anyone is interested in the performance of this setup. This thread, like all threads, has digressed a bit :)

The 450 Rancher from the factory uses a narrow kerf bar and chain. To get a solid bar (required by the G777 mill) on this thing I had to jump to a standard kurf Oregon bar with a standard kurf ripping chain.

I’m down to around 15 min after milling a few slabs. The slabs are right at 11ft long and around 16” at their widest. The saw does struggle a bit through these cuts. The standard kerf is no doubt adding to the challenge. While I’m not stalling the saw I am having to feather the throttle. Still could be a tuning issue up here at close to 10k elevation. I’m slowly dialing in the carb; learning what works best along the way. I’m also going through 2/3-3/4 of a tank of fuel per cut and about 1/3 bar oil. Seems normal for bucking but would like to see more bar oil consumed.

The bar shows no sign of over hearing and the chain is surprisingly remaining sharp after 5 cuts. In my original post I talked about mostly running dug fur. However, the first log I grabbed was a pine; ponderosa I believe.

The sawdust is coming out slightly above powdery. I can see it is some what course. I’m only getting shreds when hitting a know that runs parallel to the chains. Then I get inch or so long shreds.

Slabs are coming out pretty smooth even though I stop And start throughout the cut. The slow cut seems to attribute to this.

All the milling I have witnessed others do, I see them full throttle through the entire cut. I‘m not able to do that for some reason. If I go full throttle the chain wants to stall (not the engine). But the engine does bog down a bit. Still could be tuning but more a limitation of a 50cc narrow kerf saw imho. If anything I’d saw I’m still running lean.

Overall happy with this setup as a newbie miller. I will be keeping an eye out for a used ~70-90cc name brand or a too good to pass up prime day deal.

Next for me is getting a drying “stand” setup before I cut too much. Being in the forest, I’ll likely go with cinder block spaced 2ft apart. Or I’ll mill up some 4x4s to lay down. The cinder block will allow me to deal with uneven ground And to cut through the 2-3” of forest mulch. I guess I also need some borax and a dedicated sprayer. Right now my slabs are sitting on a 8x8 snowmobile trailer which I don’t want to dedicate to this project long term :)

Wow … this has been fun. Everyone should own a small mill … haha. I’ll give a few more photos in a day or so. As well I may get ahead of myself and cut some 2x6s out of some of the slabs. Until then ….

Enjoy!

While I’m not stalling the saw I am having to feather the throttle. Still could be a tuning issue up here at close to 10k elevation. I’m slowly dialing in the carb; learning what works best along the way. I’m also going through 2/3-3/4 of a tank of fuel per cut and about 1/3 bar oil. Seems normal for bucking but would like to see more bar oil consumed.
Something is off with your tuning & I'd recommend sorting that ASAP to avoid damage.
Chainsaws are designed to run at full throttle & should be tuned accordingly as the transition between Lo & Hi isn't linear with such a basic carb.
There's plenty of tuning info online, Madsen's has some good generic instructions & Vintage Engine Repairs did a good tutorial a while back.
For milling you want to be tuned slightly rich on the Hi side as the extra fuel helps with cooling.
Bar oil output sounds minimal to me, even for x-cutting. I'd be making sure the lines & filter screen are clear. If that checks out I would consider fitting one of the adjustable oilers or modifying the one you have for a little more output

I find my Makita 64cc does not oil the bar much on max, and I would guess the 450R even less. One of the drawbacks to trying to mill with small saws is you do need to get more oil to the bar than they tend to be designed for. I wasn't sure what was going on with the throttle feathering but think JD has a handle on that. One of my saws I was testing the other day was doing that due to being way out of tune.

Something is off with your tuning & I'd recommend sorting that ASAP to avoid damage.
Chainsaws are designed to run at full throttle & should be tuned accordingly as the transition between Lo & Hi isn't linear with such a basic carb.
There's plenty of tuning info online, Madsen's has some good generic instructions & Vintage Engine Repairs did a good tutorial a while back.
For milling you want to be tuned slightly rich on the Hi side as the extra fuel helps with cooling.
Bar oil output sounds minimal to me, even for x-cutting. I'd be making sure the lines & filter screen are clear. If that checks out I would consider fitting one of the adjustable oilers or modifying the one you have for a little more output
It's a bummer this saw wouldn't idle out of the box. Something was definitely screwy when I got it. When I originally "reset" the saw to factory 1-1/8 turns out, I threw a tach on it and had trouble getting the RPMs within factory specs without turning the high adjustment out quite a bit. That seemed odd for higher elevation so I turned it back to 1-1/8th. It idled, started and bucked great. On the mill, I've been slowly (1/16th turn) making it run richer as I'm listening to the saw through the cut. I'll throw the tach back on it and give it another shot to get within the factory specs. If I can't dial it in, we have a resident small engine mechanic I'll have look at it. It does make sense that im running a little lean. When I let off the throttle the RPMs die and slowly come back up (within a split second but noticeable). I suspect that's low fuel flow. I have read that it's best to tune to the richer side of the RPM curve.

If I can get a consistent cut at full throttle, I'm sure ill be able to get through an 11ft'er in under 10 mins :)

Thanks for the feedback JD.

Latest posts

Back