Laminated vs. solid bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wseibert

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How do I know if a bar I have is laminated or solid?

I just picked up a Granberg 777 mill attachment, and the instructions say to use a solid bar only.

The saw that I'm planning to use is a Husqvarna 450 which has (what I assume is) the stock Husqvarna brand 18" bar that came with it. Photo attached. How can I tell if it's laminated or not?

Thank you!

Will

ps - I'm no expert. I welcome any and all advice and comments.

Attachments

• 450 bar.jpeg
    450 bar.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 2
Probably laminated if it came on the saw. Laminated bars will have spots welds along the top and bottom. Solid does not and usually have a replaceable tip. Just curious what you're going to Mill with a 450 and 18" bar?
I have some small spruce that I'd like to mill. I have some larger spruce and for that I've bought a used 372xp x-torq that I'm still sorting through. I need to get a bar and chain for that one.

Probably laminated if it came on the saw. Laminated bars will have spots welds along the top and bottom. Solid does not and usually have a replaceable tip. Just curious what you're going to Mill with a 450 and 18" bar?
yer confusing solid nose with solid bar... solid bars I assure you have replaceable tips
the laminated bars will have "dimples" all along the bar at regular spaces usually just below the rails, sometimes along the centerline too, and they are cheaper, and I think the laminated bars don't always have replaceable tips, but I've seen em both ways.

Do a search on alaskan on this forum, lot of advice on bars and chains.
You should be able to look that bar up and see it's specs.
Comes up as Laminate based on my search, you may want to verify.

yer confusing solid nose with solid bar... solid bars I assure you have replaceable tips
the laminated bars will have "dimples" all along the bar at regular spaces usually just below the rails, sometimes along the centerline too, and they are cheaper, and I think the laminated bars don't always have replaceable tips, but I've seen em both ways.
That's what I was trying to say. MAY have used the wrong words. The dimples are spot welds.

Thank you for your replies. I'll check for dimples when I get home. And I'll search Alaskan for more info.

Will

A solid bar is preferable as they are more ridgid & generally of better quality. Your laminate bar will work but you may not get as good of a finish. Do not run a solid nose bar, a roller tip significantly reduces the load on both chain & chainsaw... when milling the load is already high enough without unnecessarily adding to it

A solid bar is the equivalent of Thor's hammer!.... Therefore there isn't a man alive today that could possibly pick up a chainsaw with a solid bar! Sad but true next question?....
On second thought if the man of the house holds the wife's purse and she proceeds to use said chainsaw with solid bar I can't see a problem this will work problem solved.

Latest posts

Back