Advice for Ashes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
From This Old House Magazine:

A cord a firewood can produce 50 pounds of ashes - a formidable heap of soot but also a real source for a mineral-rich dust that has practical uses. Just be careful to store them in a fireproof container with the lid shut to choke the embers. Unlike ashes, you can't use flames any place except in the fireplace.

1. De-skunk pets. a handful rubbed on fido's coat neutralizes the lingering odor.
2. Hide stains on paving. This Old House technical editor Mark Powers absorbs wet paint spatter on cement by sprinkling ash directly on the spot; it blends in with a scuff of his boot.
3. Enrich compost. Before the organic compound gets applied to soil, enhance its nutrients by sprinkling in a few ashes, says the host fo radio's You Bet your Garden, Mike McGranth. Adding too much, though ruins the mix.
4. Block garden pests. Spread evenly around flower beds, ash repels slugs and snails.
5. Melt ice. TOH building editor Tom Baker finds it adds traction and de-ices without hurting the soil or concrete underneath.
6. Control pond algae. One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassium to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth.
7. Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, McGrath places 1/4 cup righ in the hole when planting.
8. Clean glass fireplace doors. a damp sponge dipped in the dust scrubs away sooty residue.
9. Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools.
10. Shine silver. A paste of ash and water makes a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.

Gee. I've just been dumping mine down a ground hog hole.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a clean ground hog with spotless concrete, clean wood stove doors, shining silverware, nice pond, a slug free garden, and fantastic tomatoes! :clap: :clap:

Good information. I've been trying to give my wood ash away on Freecycle, since it does have lots of good uses but I generate more than I need for myself. I'll have to add this information to my "Free Wood Ashes" ad.

I'm not sure I'd agree with #1 or #7. Ashes can be terribly irritating to a dog's skin (or any animals skin for that matter). Maybe if promptly washed off it might be okay, but I'd still not recommend it.

I also wouldn't use them that close to a tomato transplant. That is quite a pH shock to tender roots. Better to mix a little into the soil around the base of the plant and let watering move the potassium and calcium into the soil.

Making soap with them is a good idea, but the best use for them is deicing. Growing up we had a north-facing driveway that would constantly be icy most of the winter. Once Dad figured out to put the wood ashes out there, that problem was solved.

Dry ashes are good during the warm months, if you get ants in the lawn, put dry ashes all around the active areas, kills them right off, and the grass comes back healthier for it.

From This Old House Magazine:

9. Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools.
/QUOTE]

Sooo...mix in some fat from a (beef,pork,lamb) roast and then go bear hunting,hmmm. Cheney would have had a perfect alibi if he'd gone this route, give his buddy the soap and say it had a special masking scent in it.:laugh:

Darn it, I thought this thread was about the flogging the poms got in the cricket.:hmm3grin2orange:

Gardens

It works great in the garden for sure. This was my first year trying it, no slugs, tomatoes and cucumbers were awesome. Best year of cucumbers I've had period matter of fact... What a great post I must say... :cheers:

Been heating near 100% with wood for 30 years now. Around 5-6 cord/year. Every bit of ashes has, and still does, goes on the lawn and garden. I just sling the ash pan to spread. Adds phosphorus and modifies somewhat PH. Grass is just common grass of some type up here in NW and looks much better now that it did when I started.

De-icer? Only if it goes where I won't track it into the house.

Harry K

I will testify that the ashes work great on cleaning the ceramic glass on the wood stove. Just tried it today. Will try some of the other stuff next spring.

Been using it for de-icer and over-done it one year in the garden. Too much is bad 'cause everything grew funky, tomatoes had green innards. Maybe drove the ph too far at once but in 2 years it stabilized. A little each year for growing stuff is better.

Darn it, I thought this thread was about the flogging the poms got in the cricket.:hmm3grin2orange:

hey ekka, thought this might make you chuckle

Q. What is the height of optimism?
A. An English batsman putting on sunscreen.

Q. What would Glenn McGrath be if he was English?
A. An all rounder.

Q. What is the main function of the England coach?
A. To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

Q. What's the English version of a hat trick?
A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. Why don't English fielders need pre tour travel injections?
A. Because they never catch anything.

Q. What's the English version of LBW?
A. Lost, Beaten and Walloped.

Q. What do you call a Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
A. A bowler.

Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?
A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.

Q. What do English batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

mav :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back