Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi. Im new to this chain saw thing but have 2 fireplaces and figure I'll start cutting my own firewood. Ive just come across a husky 351,It runs fine but Im wondering if there is any easy mods to do to get abit more performance out of it,, My buddie has a brand new oregon micro lite pro bar and narrow kerf chain that wont fit his new saw but would fit mine, would this increase cutting preformance?
Thanks
Dale M

As usual, I have to say that I disagree somewhat with my friend Jeff.
It is not a question of either - or.

I do not disagree on the muffler mod, and I am about to do one myself on my 353 during the winter.

The NK Microlite Pro bar and 95VP chain is, however, just what the doctor would order for the 351. It is an excellent chain that cut both fast and smooth on saws in the 3 cube class.:D
It will probably be an improvement regardless which other bar and chain that is on your saw now.

The 351 is much like my 353, except that it has a slightly smaller engine, 49.4 vs. 51.7 cc.

Hi. Im going to try the Nk chain and Microlite bar as they are new and the cost is only a bottle of JD. The Muffler mod thing Id like to try also I think. I work in a machine shop so the milling /cutting/drilling/ machining/whatever it takes is easy,, Now if I can just find out what exactly to do and maybe More important what NOT to do I'll be on my way.. Does a muffler mod require the carb to be reset ?? Any adverse things that may come up after doing this??
Thanks Guys
Dale M

The 351 is basically the same as the 350 and 345 in that series. They should have the same muffler for searching reference. The carb will need readjusted after the mod, more that likely you will need to add a little fuel. Just don't go to overboard, or you'll kill the power you do have now. I learned this the hard way on my first muffler mod.

Dale M said:
Hi. Im going to try the Nk chain and Microlite bar as they are new and the cost is only a bottle of JD. The Muffler mod thing Id like to try also I think. I work in a machine shop so the milling /cutting/drilling/ machining/whatever it takes is easy,, Now if I can just find out what exactly to do and maybe More important what NOT to do I'll be on my way.. Does a muffler mod require the carb to be reset ?? Any adverse things that may come up after doing this??
Thanks Guys
Dale M

Make the exit from the exhaust port thru the mufller as smooth as possible. Enlarge the mufflers exit port to about 80% of the area of the exhaust port in the cylinder. (some members have advocated 125% but start conservative).

Make sure the resulting H carb setting isn't lean. (ie "get as close to smooth as you can get while still in the rough". Go to the Madsen's Sawtune link for specifics.)

You might have to replace limiter caps and even rejet your carb. It depends on the saw.

That should net you about 10% and make the saw run cooler. The rest comes from professional tuning/porting and is pretty involved. The professional tuners aren't going to reveal their techniques. You can study 2 Stroke Tuners Handbook if you want to learn more.

Freakingstang said:
The 351 is basically the same as the 350 and 345 in that series.... .
Not quite correct, even though they share some parts.
The 351 used the same engine as the 350 at the time, but otherwise it is closer to the 353 and 346xp in construction (magnezium crankcase and other differences that contribute to pro saw quality).

It was replaced by the 353 in the model lineup.

Back