Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lionsfan

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We're up north for the weekend. Having some fun shooting with my boys. Broke out the 10/22.View attachment 1179703View attachment 1179704
Do any of you fellas have a recommendation for rings and a scope? I built this when I was a poor 23 year old. I used the rings and scope that were in stock at Fleet Farm. I ended up with high rings for shooting with open sights and a cheap Bushnell 3×9.
Young man has excellent taste in footgear. I'm 52 and I've worn Burlys since I was younger than him.

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Young man has excellent taste in footgear. I'm 52 and I've worn Burlys since I was younger than him.
In my experience they're the best all around knee high for the money. I've had 3 pairs and have been wearing them for 30 years. He's wearing mine in that pic, his are getting tight.

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Where'd you get the kubota seeds, need a bag of those :laugh:.
Ran my L3800 a good bit today, filled the bucket quite a few times with the ms201 rear handle and the XS ms261. Even burned up two nice sized piles of brush. The first one wasn't very big, but the brush was dry, the second was 8' tall :blob2: .
The ms201 had to take a break, that being said, I did too :yes:.
View attachment 1179789

My wife was staying away from the fire at this point. Even though it was nice and cool out today, you could feel the fire 50' away most the time :baba:. The poplar rounds are 12" or so on the left side. Sure glad we got cool weather and rain, wouldn't want to do this when it's hot and dryer.

View attachment 1179790

Some nice little ash in this portion. one of the larger trees that I need to drop is in that clump of a mess to the left/back of the fire, that's mainly some sore of pricker, they really suck!

View attachment 1179791

Same tree is to the right/back in this pic. Also, you can see a couple of the small ash I tried to save out. Not sure how many will make it by the time I drop the three poplar, but I left a few even though he said I could take them all out.

View attachment 1179793

Anyone know what these are. They were growing in clusters of 5 or 6.

View attachment 1179800
Looks like you were having fun! Always fun spending a day in the woods. I did a little Googling and found out what that plant is. The old name was Squaw Root and the woke name is Cancer Root. Guess I'll be calling it Squaw Root!;)
https://www.thelaurelmagazine.com/r...early settlers,potassium, magnesium, and more.

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks like you were having fun! Always fun spending a day in the woods. I did a little Googling and found out what that plant is. The old name was Squaw Root and the woke name is Cancer Root. Guess I'll be calling it Squaw Root!;)
https://www.thelaurelmagazine.com/recreation-in-highlands-nc-and-cashiers-nc/squaw-root#:~:text=Native Americans and early settlers,potassium, magnesium, and more.
Thanks, nice article.
Never seen it before, now I'll probably have a hard time not seeing it lol.
Thanks Matt, those look like a future purchase.:cool:

I shouldn't bash on the Bushnell to hard. It was $100 in 2004. It actually has pretty nice glass for what it is. The reticle in that Leupold would be nice to have though.
Natchez has some good sales going on right now with 5 dollar shipping that finished up today. I also like to use optics planet, no big deals I'm aware of now though.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Here's my quote. I stand corrected, payoff is 14 years. At their rosy numbers it's a 5.49% return over 25 years. I'm better off investing that money in the stock market or real estate. The hassle and expense of keeping up another system doesn't make sense for my situation now. View attachment 1179754
you need to figure out the roi for yourself. I used a 3% annual increase in electric rates, which turned out to be very conservative the past few years. Put the tax credit money back in the system. You basically make what you want out of it. Biggest maintenance I've had to do is knock snow off the panels and I wash them every now and then. Isn't really anything else to do to it.
I did have some issue right after it first went in, which turned out to be caused by a power surge. Few new moduels later the system was up and working again. Haven't had an issue since.

sean donato

sean donato

. AS Supporting Member.
I would be careful You will own them at pretty much at the end of their life span . So you will need to dispose of them when they go south . Gas companies use to do something similar -“We will sell you the gas tanks for a dollar after x amount of years “ it was towards the end of the tanks lifespan. When they leaked it was on the station owner to pay for cleanup and new tanks
I have elite panels. 30 year gauenteed to still have 89.3% of their output. I'm not certain why they would need replaced. Modern panels don't go to crap like older ones did.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240526_093840_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526_093840_Drive.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
MustangMike
I have some cheap solar panels on the cabin with inverters and batteries. They generally work very well in the summer, but in late November their efficiency declines quite a bit. I will likely add a wind turbine to the system this year for that time of year. We only use them for our lights, but it is nice to have lights on a switch!

One of the problems is that no system seems to be good at charging cold batteries, so it often pays to bring up a fully charged lithium iron battery to start things off, then let the system work when the cabin is heated. Also, as the sun drops, too many trees are shading the panels. I plan to raise them up to reduce this problem.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I have some cheap solar panels on the cabin with inverters and batteries. They generally work very well in the summer, but in late November their efficiency declines quite a bit. I will likely add a wind turbine to the system this year for that time of year. We only use them for our lights, but it is nice to have lights on a switch!

One of the problems is that no system seems to be good at charging cold batteries, so it often pays to bring up a fully charged lithium iron battery to start things off, then let the system work when the cabin is heated. Also, as the sun drops, too many trees are shading the panels. I plan to raise them up to reduce this problem.
You could also lower the trees ;).
I'd like to have some solar here, maybe one day. The good thing is we are on a smaller grid and it's a bit cheaper than folks just a mile away on the larger one. Our local provider does a great job for the most part on keeping the trees cleared back and when there is a problem because they are only a mile or two from any part of the system they are on it right away. The only time our power has been out for an extended time is when someone has been killed in an accident (car, then a pressure washing incident near high voltage 3 phase) or a major wind event tornado.
need to get some of the cheap yard lights(security style) with the solar panel that's movable for the woodshed. Even though I do have power out there, it would be nice to have them just come on and go off when you leave. That would also be nice for critters.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
you need to figure out the roi for yourself. I used a 3% annual increase in electric rates, which turned out to be very conservative the past few years. Put the tax credit money back in the system. You basically make what you want out of it. Biggest maintenance I've had to do is knock snow off the panels and I wash them every now and then. Isn't really anything else to do to it.
I did have some issue right after it first went in, which turned out to be caused by a power surge. Few new moduels later the system was up and working again. Haven't had an issue since.
I’ve assessed various options and for me the ROI on solar, changing out my heating system from fuel oil to a heat pump or natural gas, etc. comes up negative every time. The heat pump hot water heaters were the only things that have a positive ROI. I do all my own maintenance and installations which helps. The gut job home renovations that included new windows, doors, insulation, siding, and air leakage reduction paid off well. I cut the oil consumption by 2/3 and can cool the whole place with a 12,000 btu window a/c—the newest one is U shaped with the noise outside. I’ve got a few more small projects to do in the walk out basement that will reduce the energy costs even more. Decades of reading Fine Home Building and Journal of Light Construction helped me understand how the systems work together.

Firewood… that’s for social fires at my girlfriend’s and the pleasure I get from creating it and keeping the rail trail open. I also gave away about 10 cords to a friend when I took down a bunch of ash at my parents…. and another couple cords from the rail trail. It went into their outdoor boiler.

SS396driver
I have elite panels. 30 year gauenteed to still have 89.3% of their output. I'm not certain why they would need replaced. Modern panels don't go to crap like older ones did.
I’m sure the utility company would use cheaper panels specially if they turn them over in twenty years . I don’t trust guaranties on stuff like this . Look at how many companies go out of business in the energy sector.

H-Ranch

H-Ranch

The tale of Steve and Two Really Big Log Piles
. AS Supporting Member.
Backyard scrounging - took down a dead cherry tree by the barn that I probably should have done a few years ago. I waited for Brett at the Speedway station, but he didn't show, so I attacked it myself. Both stems went where I was aiming for, despite my slightly angled back cuts. I am pleasantly surprised at how solid it still is, both for felling it and for making it into firewood. IMG_20240526_144625.jpgIMG_20240526_144617.jpg

MustangMike
When it is off the ground, Black Cherry heartwood stays solid for a long time. When the bark is gone, the sapwood will deteriorate, and the remaining heartwood will have a weathered look ... but you will be surprised how solid it still is. Makes for VG firewood or cooking wood (Many wood fired pizza places prefer to ONLY use Black Cherry).

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_083643483.jpg
    IMG_20200719_083643483.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240424_133015265_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240424_133015265_HDR.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
sean donato

sean donato

. AS Supporting Member.
I’ve assessed various options and for me the ROI on solar, changing out my heating system from fuel oil to a heat pump or natural gas, etc. comes up negative every time. The heat pump hot water heaters were the only things that have a positive ROI. I do all my own maintenance and installations which helps. The gut job home renovations that included new windows, doors, insulation, siding, and air leakage reduction paid off well. I cut the oil consumption by 2/3 and can cool the whole place with a 12,000 btu window a/c—the newest one is U shaped with the noise outside. I’ve got a few more small projects to do in the walk out basement that will reduce the energy costs even more. Decades of reading Fine Home Building and Journal of Light Construction helped me understand how the systems work together.

Firewood… that’s for social fires at my girlfriend’s and the pleasure I get from creating it and keeping the rail trail open. I also gave away about 10 cords to a friend when I took down a bunch of ash at my parents…. and another couple cords from the rail trail. It went into their outdoor boiler.
Yeah, solar isn't for everyone. There are plenty of ways to reduce energy loss. We've very slowly been redoing the rooms in the house one by one, down to bare studs. New insulation where needed, filling cracks and voids to stop drafts. I was actually quite surprised to see blown insulation in the ceiling when we put the new roof on. We probably could/should have added some more, however finds didn't permit us to do so. We're eventually planning an addition to the house, with that new windows in the whole house. Takes time when you're doing that stuff for yourself. (I'm sure as you know.)
I’m sure the utility company would use cheaper panels specially if they turn them over in twenty years . I don’t trust guaranties on stuff like this . Look at how many companies go out of business in the energy sector.
We selected our panels and inverter based in what my Aunt, Uncle and father in law have. The inverter company isn't very old, but I'm not super worried about finding another inverter if this one goes out. Nothing other then the bi directional meter came from or through the power company, nor do they offer any incentives for going solar. Our rates doubled back in 2020. Basically made the solar a no brainer at that point.

Latest posts