Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any of you have solar? Young thing (cute) came by yesterday and talked to me about enrolling in a program IL has. Says rates with Ameren are going up and I could lock in at 20-40% off current electric rates. Install, maintenance would be free and after 25 years, I'd own the panels (more likely my heirs). Wouldn't want it on my garage (S exposure) roof so would be a ground install. No batteries just straight to Ameren's grid. I've got a lot of considering to do to see if it's worth the trouble.

any of you have solar? Young thing (cute) came by yesterday and talked to me about enrolling in a program IL has. Says rates with Ameren are going up and I could lock in at 20-40% off current electric rates. Install, maintenance would be free and after 25 years, I'd own the panels (more likely my heirs). Wouldn't want it on my garage (S exposure) roof so would be a ground install. No batteries just straight to Ameren's grid. I've got a lot of considering to do to see if it's worth the trouble.

Careful there ... if you don't own it YOU don't get the tax credits. Also, consider the cost compared to the expected savings ... which they may exaggerate a bit.

Besides, utility rates should drop after Trump is elected!
and you will own them when they are obsolete needing to be replaced. You will also own the high fees for recycling them as hazardous waste. Looks like an amazing deal for the utility company.

20" "blade" goes a long way... didn't see anything in that pile all that big. Remember, you're talking to your chainsaw pals here, not your wife, no need to justify the purchase :innocent:.
Yeah there were only a couple of logs on the two piles that I couldn't cut from one side with either saw, both having 20 inch "blades". But the Echo sure cut through them faster and noodled the largest ones faster too. I'm convinced that Stihl designs their sprocket covers to clog so you don't run the saw continuously while noodling - kind of a durability prevention thing so you have to pause to clear noodles. Brilliant, really. The Echo does NOT have that problem. I can't clear noodles from the ground fast enough sweeping with both feet and must look like a dancing fool trying!

I had a quote done last year. I would own the panels and I would sell back to the power company. The estimated break even point was 20 years. Northern latitudes suck for solar if the panels are fixed. Needless to say it was a no go. I told the solar company when the break even point is 5-10 years I'd be interested. Also as Woodabuser said there's no good way to dispose of them.
Beautiful!

We're up north for the weekend. Having some fun shooting with my boys. Broke out the 10/22.20240525_120403.jpg20240525_123321.jpg
Do any of you fellas have a recommendation for rings and a scope? I built this when I was a poor 23 year old. I used the rings and scope that were in stock at Fleet Farm. I ended up with high rings for shooting with open sights and a cheap Bushnell 3×9.

I had a quote done last year. I would own the panels and I would sell back to the power company. The estimated break even point was 20 years. Northern latitudes suck for solar if the panels are fixed. Needless to say it was a no go. I told the solar company when the break even point is 5-10 years I'd be interested. Also as Woodabuser said there's no good way to dispose of them.

Beautiful!
Thanks bro ,

Is that then new ride Rob.
Sure looks nice up there.
No, I'm not happy with the seating position of my "new to me" tractor, and I need to fix that before I'll want to spend a whole day running it! Hopefully I'll get that solved pretty soon as I really like that tractor.

I spent most of my day today, working on my old Chevy, it's just about ready to go now, and then I'll probably start putting some miles on it. I'm looking forward to it.

SR

Yes, had it since 21.10kw system. Silfab panels solar edge inverter and controllers. Grid tied no batteries. Been paying for itsself and then some except over the 3 winter months where we have some small electric bills. System cost around $38k 30% tax credit took about $10k off the system. My break even is ~10 years assuming electric rates don't go up. 🤣 which makes my break even shorter. Even with interest and the payments were about $100.00 cheaper a month then our electric bills. Highest electric bill I've had is $58.00 which is still $60.00 cheaper with the $197.00 month payment for the solar system.
We got the longest warranty so everything is parts and labor covered for 20-25 years. I'd have to look up the exact numbers but the panels are gauenteed to be a certain % of efficiency at the 20 year mark.
and you will own them when they are obsolete needing to be replaced. You will also own the high fees for recycling them as hazardous waste. Looks like an amazing deal for the utility company.
none of that is really truthful.
My aunt and uncle have had solar 25+ years. Their first system didn't make it long. Off grid + flooded batteries + generator. They ended up taking a loss and went with a grid tie system. They are still using the same panels on the original system. No they arnt as efficient as modern panels and yes a few have been replaced over the years and they've added on to the system at one point. Inverter has been replaced once in that time.
My father in law has had solar since 2010. Our system is based off his system. His is about 18kw. Can't remember who made his panels, but solar edge inverter and control moduels. To date he hasn't had an issue with anything. He has 320w panels and ours are 370w panels. Not much has really changed with the panels over the past 10 odd years. Yes they have gotten slightly more efficient/powerful but basic construction has remained the same. Tier 1 panels will easily go 30+ years with little loss in output.
Recycling/ disposal has come a long way in recent years there's many companies that take them for recycling. Company down in Texas has recently developed equipment that makes taking them apart, and separating the materials a much less involved process. You basically get everything divided down into core material with their system. Pretty cool stuff really. No reason to send old panels off to the landfill.

Panel life, if your lucky, is around 20 - 25 years. I used to work for Evergreen Solar before they went under.

Yes, had it since 21.10kw system. Silfab panels solar edge inverter and controllers. Grid tied no batteries. Been paying for itsself and then some except over the 3 winter months where we have some small electric bills. System cost around $38k 30% tax credit took about $10k off the system. My break even is ~10 years assuming electric rates don't go up. 🤣 which makes my break even shorter. Even with interest and the payments were about $100.00 cheaper a month then our electric bills. Highest electric bill I've had is $58.00 which is still $60.00 cheaper with the $197.00 month payment for the solar system.
We got the longest warranty so everything is parts and labor covered for 20-25 years. I'd have to look up the exact numbers but the panels are gauenteed to be a certain % of efficiency at the 20 year mark.

none of that is really truthful.
My aunt and uncle have had solar 25+ years. Their first system didn't make it long. Off grid + flooded batteries + generator. They ended up taking a loss and went with a grid tie system. They are still using the same panels on the original system. No they arnt as efficient as modern panels and yes a few have been replaced over the years and they've added on to the system at one point. Inverter has been replaced once in that time.
My father in law has had solar since 2010. Our system is based off his system. His is about 18kw. Can't remember who made his panels, but solar edge inverter and control moduels. To date he hasn't had an issue with anything. He has 320w panels and ours are 370w panels. Not much has really changed with the panels over the past 10 odd years. Yes they have gotten slightly more efficient/powerful but basic construction has remained the same. Tier 1 panels will easily go 30+ years with little loss in output.
Recycling/ disposal has come a long way in recent years there's many companies that take them for recycling. Company down in Texas has recently developed equipment that makes taking them apart, and separating the materials a much less involved process. You basically get everything divided down into core material with their system. Pretty cool stuff really. No reason to send old panels off to the landfill.
Here's my quote. I stand corrected, payoff is 14 years. At their rosy numbers it's a 5.49% return over 25 years. I'm better off investing that money in the stock market or real estate. The hassle and expense of keeping up another system doesn't make sense for my situation now. Screenshot_20240525-182329_Drive.jpg

Here's my quote. I stand corrected, payoff is 14 years. At their rosy numbers it's a 5.49% return over 25 years. I'm better off investing that money in the stock market or real estate. The hassle and expense of keeping up another system doesn't make sense for my situation now. View attachment 1179754
That assumes it is relatively trouble free… The Tesla system my girlfriend had at her prior house worked perfectly for the 5 years she had it. She relocated and bought a house with a 6 month old SunRun system. The previous owner left the area for a more lucrative job… Anyhow, the system is about 22 months old now and has been functional, off and on, for about 12 months. It’s not working now… It takes weeks to months for them to show up and about half the time is isn’t working when they leave. They also forgot to seal the test holes they drilled looking for rafters so water was running out of the recessed lights in the kitchen. On a national basis, heed the second part of their name…

I would be careful You will own them at pretty much at the end of their life span . So you will need to dispose of them when they go south . Gas companies use to do something similar -“We will sell you the gas tanks for a dollar after x amount of years “ it was towards the end of the tanks lifespan. When they leaked it was on the station owner to pay for cleanup and new tanks

Where'd you get the kubota seeds, need a bag of those :laugh:.
Ran my L3800 a good bit today, filled the bucket quite a few times with the ms201 rear handle and the XS ms261. Even burned up two nice sized piles of brush. The first one wasn't very big, but the brush was dry, the second was 8' tall :blob2: .
The ms201 had to take a break, that being said, I did too :yes:.
Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 8.35.36 PM.png

My wife was staying away from the fire at this point. Even though it was nice and cool out today, you could feel the fire 50' away most the time :baba:. The poplar rounds are 12" or so on the left side. Sure glad we got cool weather and rain, wouldn't want to do this when it's hot and dryer.

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 8.36.04 PM.png

Some nice little ash in this portion. one of the larger trees that I need to drop is in that clump of a mess to the left/back of the fire, that's mainly some sore of pricker, they really suck!

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 8.36.50 PM.png

Same tree is to the right/back in this pic. Also, you can see a couple of the small ash I tried to save out. Not sure how many will make it by the time I drop the three poplar, but I left a few even though he said I could take them all out.

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 8.43.03 PM.png

Anyone know what these are. They were growing in clusters of 5 or 6.

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 10.01.31 PM.png

Latest posts

Back