advice on a log splitter needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a log splitter. This will be for production splitting. I'm far from a big time operation or any operation worth even talking about, but, I am bringing in firewood like it's going out of style.

Local Stihl shop wants to sell me a Troy Bilt 27 ton unit. I have never been a fan of Troy Bilt and honestly always thought they were the Craftsman of outdoor power equipment. Is this a good unit?

Also...do I go 27 ton or 35/37 ton? From that I hear, 27 ton units are NOT street legal whereas almost all 37 ton units are. By the way, how is one expected to transport a 27 ton? And why would it have a ball hitch if you can't tow it? Seems stupid to me!

Is there a big difference in effective power between a 27 and a 37? Worth paying roughly $750 more for the extra 10 tons?

I'm open to any and all suggestions to log splitter companies. As always, thanks for your help people!

First things to clear up is the advertising B.S. .
Splitter ( manufacturers ) make the beam ,push plate , wedge, and hydraulic tank. The rest they purchase from other manufacturers; engine, pump, control valve, and cylinders, these components are the same ones used by all the splitter makers. The pump, valve, and cylinder manufacturers rate their products up to 3000psi max.

At this pressure a 4" bore cylinder will produce 18.8 tons, a 4.5" bore cylinder will produce 23.8 tons, and a 5" bore cylinder will produce 29.4 tons.

Consumer machines will come with either between a 11 to 16 gpm 2-stage pump. The 11 gpm pump is considered slow when used with anything larger than a 4" bore cylinder.

Commercial machines usually have a 22 or 28 gpm 2-stage pump to speed up the cycle times.

When they say the splitter has hyway rated tires does not mean it is safe to tow on the road (racing slicks on a Chevy Aveo does not make it a dragster ).

If the rims on the splitter look like the ones on a wheel barrow they are not meant for road use. For road use the rims should have a 4 or 5 bolt lug pattern, this usually indicates that the spindles were design for road use. Log splitters are usually top heavy and can bounce violently on rough road surfaces if they have no suspension.

If you are looking at large volumes of wood splitting start by looking at the specs for the commercial grade splitters at TIMBERWOLF, SPLITRIGHT, OR IRON AND OAK. Their entry models differ vary little from the box store machines so look beyond the low end models.

If your going to be doing production splitting I would only look at American, timberwolf and super split. You will want something with a four way wedge.

I'm in the market for a log splitter. This will be for production splitting. I'm far from a big time operation or any operation worth even talking about, but, I am bringing in firewood like it's going out of style.

Local Stihl shop wants to sell me a Troy Bilt 27 ton unit. I have never been a fan of Troy Bilt and honestly always thought they were the Craftsman of outdoor power equipment. Is this a good unit?

In a word, no.

It's MTD crap. Don't even think about it for production use.

BTW, comparing MTD to Craftsman is an insult to Craftsman.

Well, at least, to what Craftsman used to be.

In a word, no.

It's MTD crap. Don't even think about it for production use.

BTW, comparing MTD to Craftsman is an insult to Craftsman.

Well, at least, to what Craftsman used to be.

Mark is right!!! MTD I believe stands for Multi Tool Distribution. What this company does ( It's a conglomerate) is buy out what use to be good companies like Cub cadet, Troy built,Lawnboy and cheapen the product to make their bottomline ie thinner gauge steel,. I read somewhere that someone talked to customer service about the valve on a MTD splitter and they were told that it is made by another manufacturer and MTD would not cover or replace valve(What kind of BS is that) Stay away from them. Just my 2

Anybody have a price list on these Timberwolfs?

Also, I see that their tonnage ratings are generally a lot lower than the MTD jobs. Why is this? MTD's all doing false advertising?

Speeco makes decent splitters. I have read several members giving props to their customer service. The 34 ton model has a nice log cradle feature so no need for a hand on the log. The down side to this model is a 16 gpm two stage pump with a 5" cylinder, I would like a 22 gpm, but that would require a larger engine. You can choose a Honda or a Briggs. I also like splitters with the work table after the wedge for resplits. A splitter with a hydraulic lift arm are nice because you can load them up with multiple smaller logs to speed up the process.

I am putting together parts for a home made splitter so I plan to steal ideas I like best.

If your not a fan of Troy Bilt, I'm assuming you have never owned a real roto-tiller. :hmm3grin2orange:

Troy Bilt are crap! center of gravity is too high, belt drive, tine speed too slow.. I have run a real rototiller it is called BCS

My shop is about 25 miles from the original Troy NY plant I have seen my fair share of there crap. The owners of the orig co got money from the state to stay in business then SOLD it to Bolens then SOLD it to MTD now they are made in CHINA.

Scott

Also, I see that their tonnage ratings are generally a lot lower than the MTD jobs. Why is this? MTD's all doing false advertising?

TWP1 $2095
TWHV1 $2695
TWHV2 $3295
TW2 $2995
TW2 36" $3295
TW2HD $3895
TWS3 $2395
TW3 $2195
TW3HD $2995
TW3HD 36" $3640
TW3HD 48" $4295
TW5 $5995
TW5FC $5995
TW5 36" $6640
TW5 48" $7290
TW6 $7695
TW7 $9495
TW10 49hp $44,995
TW10 RC 49hp $51,995

small 4 way (TWP1) $195
Std 4 way $395
6 way $595
small table grate $295
large table grate $595
Auto Cycle Valve (TW2HD, TW3HD) $595
Small frame log lift $395
Large frame hyd log lift $795
Large frame hyd log lif 36" & 48" $895
Log Lift TW7 $895
Hyd wedge lift ( TW2HD, TW3HD) $695
Hyd Wedge Lift TW7 $895

Conveyors
20' Ruff Top Belt $5995
20' Paddle Belt $6995
24' Ruff Top Belt $6995
24' Paddle Belt $7595
26' Ruff Top Belt $7595
26' Paddle Belt $7995
30' HD Chain w/ Honda $11595
35' HD Chain w/ Honda $13595

Scott

Last edited:

Timberwolf uses accurate numbers, MTD does not. Kind of like the old Crapsman shop vac rated for 7.5 Hp on a 110V outlet. Can't be done, no how no way.

MTD stands for Machine Tool & Die.. Back in the late 80's they bought a company that made wood splitters named DUERR. Note sure on the spelling.
But they were a good splitter. I have one that I bought in 1987, only replaced one pump. I only split 7-8 cords a year.. Since MTD has had 20 years to cheapen this up, its going to be real cheap..

MTD stands for Machine Tool & Die.. Back in the late 80's they bought a company that made wood splitters named DUERR. Note sure on the spelling.
But they were a good splitter. I have one that I bought in 1987, only replaced one pump. I only split 7-8 cords a year.. Since MTD has had 20 years to cheapen this up, its going to be real cheap..

Thanx Yardman for clarifying what MTD stands for , I wasn't sure but, I was told what I said.

Latest posts

Back