advice on a log splitter needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im gonna defend the troybilt splitter. ive used mine four years and split around 80 cords a year. this isn't straight grain stuff either. it's split some of the knottiest shagbark hickory ive ever seen that was over 30" through. if it wont split the machine will cut it. i think ive spent $75 in repairs. this splitter has made me a lot of money and saved a lot of time for $1329. id recommend it to anyone.

I am willing to be they actually measure it. It is one of the first diagnostic things they check when they service their units.

I can vouch that every engine powered splitter that leaves the Rutland Plant is put on a flow and pressure gauge and set to spec.

Scott

Was told that TIMBERWOLF rates their tonnage at 2200PSI while the others are rated at 3000. Why? I don't know

Marketing gimmick. If you rate it at 3000 psi, you get higher tonnage numbers, and that sells. Just like the engine size arms race in cars. Most cars and trucks out there have way more horsepower than anybody actually uses. It's a waste, driven by the need to claim bigger numbers so people will by Brand Z instead of Brand Q.

Most rate at 3000, but set them at 2200. It's smoke and mirrors.

I understand Speeco rates them AND sets them at 3000.

So that's two honest splitter makers, anyway.

A 37 ton splitter is rated at ~3700 psi. with a 5" cylinder. A 27 ton is rated at ~3400 psi with a 4.5" cylinder. A 22 ton is rated at ~3500 psi with a 4" cylinder.

Most of the components that we buy over the counter (Barnes 2 stage pumps, cylinders, Prince or Energy valves) are not rated for more than 3000psi. What are the splitter mfg doing do get the additional pressure ratings. Cylinders are pretty easy they could just order custom cylinders and most of the time they do. What about pumps and valves?

Now Timberwolf rates their splitters as follows:
TW2 & TW-P1 20 ton 3200 psi 4" cyl
TW5 25 ton 2550 psi 5" cyl
TW6 & TW7 28 ton 2850 psi 5" cyl

They are pushing it on the small splitters but are conservative on the commercial units.

Don

Back