Advice on buying a Husky 346xp...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I own a 371xp and would like a smaller saw such as the 346xp. Can anyone help give me some advice on making the purchase? Would like to purchase the 2011/2012 model for just over $500 and I'm wondering if it would work just fine or would I need to do some type of mod to it? I ran into a fellow shopper at a Tractor Supply type of store that was telling me something about the carburetors to watch out for. Can anyone tell me if I'm safe making the purchase or do I need to be looking for something? Thanks for any advice!!!

How to buy a saw.

1. Go to the nearest Husky dealer
2. Tell him you want a 346, he goes and gets it for you, he will usually run it to make sure it run's fine.
3. You pay him cash, check or credit card.
4. You go home and run the crap out of it because it is the best saw ever made. God himself cut's wood with a 346

ive never heard of a bad carb. if you get one with a cat mufler it would be good to switch it out. i have a non cat muffler with the screen removed and i added a 1/2 pipe to the muffler. i also removed the base gaskit to raise compression. this is my favorite saw to run without a doubt.

I own two 346s an old edition and a new edition. Both have been two rock solid performers. I have never had any carb problems on either saw. I had cut up to 18 -20 inch wood with my 346 ne quite often. And cut up 24+ inch plus Beech tree once with it. It wasnt really a problem. My 346s are stock.

How to buy a saw.

1. Go to the nearest Husky dealer
2. Tell him you want a 346, he goes and gets it for you, he will usually run it to make sure it run's fine.
3. You pay him cash, check or credit card.
4. You go home and run the crap out of it because it is the best saw ever made. God himself cut's wood with a 346

Rep for that one...:hmm3grin2orange:

There wasn't an issue with the carb per se...had more to do with some bean counter at husky getting cheap with the rubber boot connecting the carb to the cylinder. Some had a plastic clip that was prone to opening/leaks. Later replaced with the tried and true hose clamp style. Right out of the box its a great saw..with a few tweaks it goes from clark kent to, well, that other guy with the cape.

There wasn't an issue with the carb per se...had more to do with some bean counter at husky getting cheap with the rubber boot connecting the carb to the cylinder. Some had a plastic clip that was prone to opening/leaks. Later replaced with the tried and true hose clamp style. Right out of the box its a great saw..with a few tweaks it goes from clark kent to, well, that other guy with the cape.

Batman ??? :msp_confused:

I run the Jonsered 2153C which is the Johnny Red version of the 346. This without a dought one of best all around saws made! Also wouldn't part with my 372 Huskys.

Me too, and it's fantastic. Mine has been woods ported, muffler modded and has an unlimited coil, and it pulls a 18" 3/8" full chisel very well. I've cut about 20 cords with it in the last 6 weeks.

I bought my first 346xp in 2001, best saw I've ever run, have a ton of hours on it. I recently ported and did a MM. It's a screamer!

Bought a new one last Fall, just because it's the best saw ever made. :msp_biggrin:

Nothing really to look out for. I don't think the E-Tech model with cat muff is made anymore.
But try and avoid the E-Tech with green gas cap, if you see one. No carb problems with the 346, but like said the early ones had a plastic manifold clamp. I never had any trouble with my old one, but replaced it with the steel clamp.

Out of all of my saws, it's the ONLY one that gets run EVERY time I cut. It's that good. Buy it, use it, wonder why you didn't buy it before now.

Latest posts

Back