Advice on chipper for conifers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justrimit

Reaction score
Hi There,

After advice for purchasing a chipper. As part of a business I intend to offer a clean up service of hedge / shelter belt trimmings. Trimmings will usually be conifers like Leyland Cypress / Japanese Cedar.
I will be using a small articulated loader with a grapple rake to collect / bunch up the trimmings and wish to purchase a chipper that I can drop the trimmings in to and hopefully feed them through with out too much manual labour / assistance.
Do not have a big budget for a chipper (15k NZD max).
Have found a few that are with in my budget and wish to find out any pros and cons of each machine and if would be suitable for the task above.

* A Bearcat CH6339H - 35hp petrol engine, 947hrs for 9k

* A late 90’s Morbark 2070 with 25hp Kohler - Tidy unit for age apparently fully rebuilt, sand blasted and painted. Drum chipper. “1266hrs” 9k

* bandit 65xl - 2009 petrol engine 1600 odd hours

*Rayco RC6d 6” chipper - 743hrs - Circa 10-12k

so far leaning towards the Morbark due to compact size, looks very tidy too, only concern would the 25hp Kohler be enough? Other option would be the bandit 65xl which has a large opening which I would imagine would be better for the conifer material?

any advise / experience with the above machines etc appreciated

Are comparable chippers available from a local equipment rental business?

Petrol chippers that I have worked with are too slow. But the density of the trees you are chipping may be different.
Best to try before you buy.

Assuming these prices are NZD the numbers sound about right for a used machine, depending on the condition.

Forget the hour meter reading, unless you know the original owner who is trustworthy. Clocks are unreliable and easy to tamper with.

Back