Advice on My First Hand Splitting Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't understand the whole fanboy thing about fiskars axes. So what if the handle can withstand a nuclear detonation if the metal-smithing is poo.

I've seen a few too many with the gap-tooth look (edge BOTH soft and brittle!) to take them seriously. Not impressed with their ability to split, having tried side-by-side comparison.

If you're comparing them to basic big-box or hardware store mexican maul, that might explain it. Those mauls are cheap crap- head shape much too convex near the edge, and the steel typically pretty mild. You can take one of those 5-pounders and a disc grinder, and make it notably better than a fiskars. Just take down the cheeks. You won't see the chips out of the edge like with fiskars.

There are foundries still making really good mauls. Seems most are in Europe- Gransfors, Wetterlings, Ochsenkopf, Mueller. They cost $80-180, but are simply a couple of leagues above fiskars. Much better buy. Stihl sells Ochsenkopf, Husqvarna sells Wetterlings- decent buys available.

When you look at it objectively, the "emperor" is nekkid.

I still don't understand the whole fanboy thing about fiskars axes. So what if the handle can withstand a nuclear detonation if the metal-smithing is poo.

I've seen a few too many with the gap-tooth look (edge BOTH soft and brittle!) to take them seriously. Not impressed with their ability to split, having tried side-by-side comparison.

If you're comparing them to basic big-box or hardware store mexican maul, that might explain it. Those mauls are cheap crap- head shape much too convex near the edge, and the steel typically pretty mild. You can take one of those 5-pounders and a disc grinder, and make it notably better than a fiskars. Just take down the cheeks. You won't see the chips out of the edge like with fiskars.

There are foundries still making really good mauls. Seems most are in Europe- Gransfors, Wetterlings, Ochsenkopf, Mueller. They cost $80-180, but are simply a couple of leagues above fiskars. Much better buy. Stihl sells Ochsenkopf, Husqvarna sells Wetterlings- decent buys available.

The OP said he didnt have much money to spend so I wouldnt think he would want a maul from Europe that cost 2 to 4 times more than a fiskars x27. And I tried the modify a 35 dollar maul and I would have to say its still no comparison to x27. So my other maul is a waste of money that I would use for a sledge with wedges if i had to but since I bought the x27 I havent had to. I wouldnt mind seeing how the Gransfors,wetterlings or others are to use but I wouldnt pay almost 200 buck to do it. just my $.02 I think you wouldnt hve too many people standing with you saying the fiskars do not perform well.

I too paid $39 n change plus free shipping from Amazon.

So far to date it has split most everything I have put in front of it, but I must be getting lazy in my old age since crotches and knots I put to the side so I can NOODLE EM! :msp_w00t: It's either that or I just plain like noodling! :msp_biggrin:

When I first started splitting wood, I really almost dreaded it, but after I got the Fiskars X27, I find myself looking for wood to split. N on bad weather days, I give some of my furniture the evil eye! :msp_smile: Just kidding. But I do find myself taking a few splits and making them into kindling with my Fiskars X7.

Get to a couple of yard sales, you should be able to get a good usable maul for $5 or less.

I too paid $39 n change plus free shipping from Amazon.

So far to date it has split most everything I have put in front of it, but I must be getting lazy in my old age since crotches and knots I put to the side so I can NOODLE EM! :msp_w00t: It's either that or I just plain like noodling! :msp_biggrin:

When I first started splitting wood, I really almost dreaded it, but after I got the Fiskars X27, I find myself looking for wood to split. N on bad weather days, I give some of my furniture the evil eye! :msp_smile: Just kidding. But I do find myself taking a few splits and making them into kindling with my Fiskars X7.

I have one of those 7 ton electric splitters that works great. I used it all last year but this season I heard about the fiskars and thought hundred of people that review it cant all be B.S. So I bought it and I havent even took the splitter out this season. I just do a few rounds each day and I was suprised on how much it adds up. Plus I need to get the blood moving a little.:msp_smile:

No disrespect, but if you hit a rock with any kind of ax, you will chip or dent it. It does not matter if it is world class metallurgy or not. It is not hard to sharpen, so I don't view it as a really big issue. I have never used a high quality euro maul, so I don't know if it is better or not, however, I am at about 80 cords, yes you heard that right, 80 cords split with my fiskers, and I am satisfied.

Also I noticed when I first got it, I did not like it very much, the swing mechanics are different, so if you have tried it and found it wanting, you might have been swinging it with a similar technique to a maul.

Again no disrespect, just sharing my experience.

Dan

I use a fiskars X27, a 8lb maul, a 15lb monster maul and a wedge. I mainly use the fiskars, but if it is knotty wood the fiskars won't go through it. Also if the rounds are too big, the fiskars also won't split it out comes the 8lb maul and monster maul. However for straight grain red oak, as far as I am concerned, I can split it faster with the X27 than using a hydraulic splitter.

Fiskars will make it easier on your body to split wood. Most all tools will do the job, but the fiskars makes it easier.

Here is some vids I did last weekend. I used this up in a week as it was below zero a couple of nights.

http://www.arboristsite.com/hand-held-equipment-tools/229876.htm

I loved the videos n for some reason my system played them one after the other, including some not related to firewooding. Like riding the Dark Side. Not that this was a bad thing because I do believe I will be darksiding it the next tire change.

Anyway, the videos were a good Fiskars representation. Thanks for posting them!

There are foundries still making really good mauls. Seems most are in Europe- Gransfors, Wetterlings, Ochsenkopf, Mueller. They cost $80-180, but are simply a couple of leagues above fiskars.

I think you just answered your own question. The Fiskars can be had for $50-60. A better axe, with a crappy handle, will cost you $80. Sure if you can spend $200 you can get a real good axe with a better handle, but is it 4 times as good as the Fiskars? Only if it splits 4 times as fast or last 4 times as long.

I keep seeing these fisker folk splitting wood that any thing will bust apart

then claim how good it is. I have yet to see someone split wood with one that a 3 lb ax wouldn't split. :msp_biggrin:

then claim how good it is. I have yet to see someone split wood with one that a 3 lb ax wouldn't split. :msp_biggrin:

It is an axe. Just has a little extra weight in the head with those splitter wedge wings on the side, bringing it to 4 lbs and change. Also shaped a little better for splitting, but still lightweight.

I split with a regular chopping axe for years, thats what I had and learned on. Its doable, but meh..... The fiskars is much better. I mean no contest, 30 cc home renter saw, versus 70 cc pro saw. Thats what it feels like to me in performance over a regular axe. Its not a maul, its an axe.. Fiskars makes mauls, just not available or sold in USA. Id like to try one.

If you have a 3 lb axe that can perform as good as or better than a fiskars in splitting, like to see it, or know the brand name/model etc. Ive seen all the refs to other high end splitting edged tools here, but none of them are 3 lbs that I recall. Id buy a three lb axe if it worked better though, just never saw or heard of one.

Anything that is lighter and works better would be great! This is why I like what I have over my old anvil on a stick @ 8lbs. I still have that thing, still use it, but fiskars does the bulk of my splitting now. My regular utility axe/chopping axe, around that weight, but I dont split with it, it sucks, tried it, got spoiled with the fiskars. Chopping axes arent good splitting axes, although you could use either for both jobs, but why? Different tools for different jobs. When I go out I have chopping axe, maul, sledge, steel wedges and a fiskars supersplitter and a hatchet. They all get used.

It is an axe. Just has a little extra weight in the head with those splitter wedge wings on the side, bringing it to 4 lbs and change. Also shaped a little better for splitting, but still lightweight.

I split with a regular chopping axe for years, thats what I had and learned on. Its doable, but meh..... The fiskars is much better. I mean no contest, 30 cc home renter saw, versus 70 cc pro saw. Thats what it feels like to me in performance over a regular axe. Its not a maul, its an axe.. Fiskars makes mauls, just not available or sold in USA. Id like to try one.

If you have a 3 lb axe that can perform as good as or better than a fiskars in splitting, like to see it, or know the brand name/model etc. Ive seen all the refs to other high end splitting edged tools here, but none of them are 3 lbs that I recall. Id buy a three lb axe if it worked better though, just never saw or heard of one.

Anything that is lighter and works better would be great! This is why I like what I have over my old anvil on a stick @ 8lbs. I still have that thing, still use it, but fiskars does the bulk of my splitting now. My regular utility axe/chopping axe, around that weight, but I dont split with it, it sucks, tried it, got spoiled with the fiskars. Chopping axes arent good splitting axes, although you could use either for both jobs, but why? Different tools for different jobs. When I go out I have chopping axe, maul, sledge, steel wedges and a fiskars supersplitter and a hatchet. They all get used.

Yup, If I would have used a 3 lb axe it would have done the job. Probably would have broken a couple of handles by now.

Could maybe compare it to using a 4-way tire wrench to get a rim off a car or a impact wrench. They both will get the job done. One is just easier than the other.

Back