Advice on saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can almost answer this question myself but I would like some opinions. First off I want to say hey to everyone being my first post. After growing up on 3 acres where yardwork was the weekend playtime:( , we have now bought some property on a lightly wooded lot and a saw is in the plans. I really like Stihl and Husky looks good also. I'm probably going to use this thing maybe 1 or 2 days a month max but I like to get something with the power for the job and I will pay extra for longeviety. I like the vibration absorbing qualities of the Husky but I favor Stihl but I will take either. Someone I know has a very lightly used 036 w/20" bar for $300, while this is a beast what current models compare to it or should I go for a brand new saw with the current bells and whistles or is this just too good an offer? The last saw I had was a Mcculloch eager beaver 12" about 8 years ago so anything would be an upgrade...not to bash the yellow saw:)

I will be using it to cut a few cords here and then so I do want the power when I use it. I usually try to get power tools that exceed my tasks a bit so I never ask "why didn't I spend the few extra $$ for what I really wanted" Thanks for any advice.

That sounds like a great deal if you like the size of the saw. I would grab it.

I had a similar question. I wanted the BEST saw that I could own.( Price was no object, but size was) I wanted a saw that was lightweight also. I ended up with an MS260.

Now I need a bigger saw to go with it. LOL!!!!!!!

While the 036 is a nice saw it is NOT a beast. You did not say how big of wood you are planning on cutting but also stated you like to have more than enough with your tools and don't mind paying the extra. That being said I would go for the Stihl 044/ms440 or the 046/ms460 . These saws will handle anything you would throw at them big or small and handle most any length bars. Good luck and don't listen to anybody else here.

Rotax Robert

If you just want one saw, shoot for the middle with a 359. Or better yet, get a 350 and find a 372 somewhere and be happy forever.

Yeah, I was a little vague on my needs. I may not need a full 20" but it's nice to have, I like a 16" mainly for weight and I may put a smaller bar on it for time being. Most of the timber around the house is less than 18" with the exception of a few biggies but definately under 32". As far as being a beast....from what I have used anyway, as for a comparison I keep eyeing the Husky 353 and was set to pick one up in a few weeks until the 036 came along, the 353 is about the limit for what I want to spend mainly for being such light use. Granted I have never cut w/ the 036 but it is definately a big heavy saw but managable. Problem is.....TOO MANY SAWS, I see an addiction brewing:chainsaw:

There is a brand new Husqvarna 359 on Ebay right now. DO IT $325. DO IT

Fred

The 036 is a fine saw. And that's a decent price for a nice, clean one. It's equivalent in the current Stihl line is the 361. The 361 has all the bells and whistles of a new saw, but the 036 is a long time favorite. For the work you describe, it'd work just fine. And while you could always argue the virtues of a larger saw, I think the 044 or 046 would exceed your needs to more of an extent that you'd need for using it a couple of days a month. But if you don't mind paying, well then go for the 361, 440, or 460. I've got one of each and they're each a great saw.

Don't listent to Rotax. He trims his hedges with an 066 and bucks his firewood with the Predtor. ;) :laugh:

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

gmcman said:
Granted I have never cut w/ the 036 but it is definately a big heavy saw but managable.
Welcome to the site, if you think an 036 is heavy then maybe step down to something, can't help you there myself. And some guys though that 2100s were a nice light saw compared to what they replaced.

Great all around saw

Below I listed a good deal for you and you will meet a great bunch of people at the same time they will treat you good.....
Call and talk to them they will probably ship it to you for free....

Dolmar PS5100S 18 Chainsaw

Sale Price: $369.95

New Lightweight Pro Screaming 4 hp Chainsaw Magnesium Crankcase with Mahle Cylinder The Dolmar model PS-5100 S is one of the newest professional-grade, mid-range chain saws. Compact and light at 11.2 pounds, this 50.7-cc chain saw generates 4 bhp of power and runs at 14,500 rpm. With quick acceleration and high torque, this model is excellent for de-branching or felling up to mid-size trees. It is ideal for professional logging, tree service, maintenance and storm cleanup crews.

amickssuperstore.com
1611 N. Fayetteville Street Asheboro, NC 27203
336-672-1196

Last edited:
Are you going to work on the saw yourself? If not, make sure you have a good local shop that works on the brand of saw you want. To me that makes or breaks the brand of saw. It might also steer you into a new saw with a warrenty, or if your handy, a good used saw like that 036.
You mentioned the vibration, the Stihl 361, the new version of the 036, has motor suspension similar to the big huskys. They are also quiet and get good gas milage, along with some other imrovements.
For the work you describe, and the 20" bar length, the 036 would be the perfect sized saw.

gmcman said:
I can almost answer this question myself but I would like some opinions. First off I want to say hey to everyone being my first post. After growing up on 3 acres where yardwork was the weekend playtime:( , we have now bought some property on a lightly wooded lot and a saw is in the plans. I really like Stihl and Husky looks good also. I'm probably going to use this thing maybe 1 or 2 days a month max but I like to get something with the power for the job and I will pay extra for longeviety. I like the vibration absorbing qualities of the Husky but I favor Stihl but I will take either. Someone I know has a very lightly used 036 w/20" bar for $300, while this is a beast what current models compare to it or should I go for a brand new saw with the current bells and whistles or is this just too good an offer? The last saw I had was a Mcculloch eager beaver 12" about 8 years ago so anything would be an upgrade...not to bash the yellow saw:)

I will be using it to cut a few cords here and then so I do want the power when I use it. I usually try to get power tools that exceed my tasks a bit so I never ask "why didn't I spend the few extra $$ for what I really wanted" Thanks for any advice.

Slightly used for 300.00, hmmm not bad. That saw sold for around 560.00 when it was discontinued for the new 361. Would have to be in great shape to get 300.00 whether slightly used or not. I own a 360, nice saw. My left knee didn't like it (65 stitiches) but that wasn't the saw's fault.....

Eric,
Why do you tease me by posting that price on the 5100. I want one, but I don't need one. I keep trying to talk myself out of ordering one, but everyone on this site keeps taunting me by talking so highly of them. I just did a little job today that turned out to be very high profit. I saved enough with one sub to pay for the saw. If you guys don't quit teasing me, I may not be able to keep from ordering one:laugh: The only thing that keeps me from ordering the 5100 is that I want a 7900. I would just order both, but I really don't need either. I gota go look for a local chapter of CA. :hmm3grin2orange:

GMCMAN, I used to have a 039 and it was a great saw. I really like my 346xp, but it may be a little light for what you are needed. If you do not take the Stihl, take a hard look at the Dolmar. Everyone seems to really like them. I have not used my 9010 enough to have a strong opinion.

Jim

Dolmar

TopJimmy said:
Eric,
Why do you tease me by posting that price on the 5100. I want one, but I don't need one. I keep trying to talk myself out of ordering one, but everyone on this site keeps taunting me by talking so highly of them. I just did a little job today that turned out to be very high profit. I saved enough with one sub to pay for the saw. If you guys don't quit teasing me, I may not be able to keep from ordering one:laugh: The only thing that keeps me from ordering the 5100 is that I want a 7900. I would just order both, but I really don't need either. I gota go look for a local chapter of CA. :hmm3grin2orange:

GMCMAN, I used to have a 039 and it was a great saw. I really like my 346xp, but it may be a little light for what you are needed. If you do not take the Stihl, take a hard look at the Dolmar. Everyone seems to really like them. I have not used my 9010 enough to have a strong opinion.

Jim

I own a lot of saws all different makes and models but still can't get over how awesome these little Dolmar 5100s are it is without a doubt the best bang for the buck out there today....:laugh:

It sounds like a good deal, but down the road you will want a smaller "limber" saw. I recently picked up a 034 on Ebay for $150 & change. I thought i would use it more than my 024 Super, but after a half a day cutting a wheeler trail thru 4' blowdowns that looked like pick up sticks, i switched back to the 024 because it was lighter. Justification for a "second" saw....your welcome!
For bucking firewood, i think you would be real happy with the 036.
RD

Sounds like a top choice the 036. You might try to save a few dollars by politely offering him $275 or something like that even though 300 sounds like a very fair deal if it is well maintained and lightly used.Resale value on that saw should be very good for a long time if you decide to change also. My 034 super fulfilled 90+% of my chainsaw duties for 12 years. If you are putting long hard hours in running saws a smaller saw is a nice break when working up smaller limbs and brush. I also like having a smaller bar on the small saw and use it to cut close to the ground when making roads etc.. If you are falling valueble logs or giant trees you need a larger saw.Bigger saws are nice for slicing big firewood blocks to handling size to. The 036 will do that ok but I would give it some breaks if it were hot weather.

Good price on a used saw. Do yourself a favor. You are not getting a gifted horse, so ask if you can remove the exhaust and look at the cylinder.
200 to 250 would be a better price. I don't think Sthil would give him that much on a trade in. That is if you can find a Sthil dealer that will take a trade in. Not all do.

I really appreciate all the info and advice that will soon have me living in the garage:D. I can see the reason for 2 or.........more ( had to look over the shoulder there) saws, the Dolmar does look sweet and a 16" may be the ticket to compliment a later 20". I was originally thinking of the 036 and a 16" 353 but like a few of you said $300 is right at the limit of a good deal considering what is avail for $50 more. I'm glad I found this site and will do some homework, thanks.

If that 36 is in realy good shape u cant go wrong . It and the 260 or 026 are my all time favorites. But if your cutting Redwoods ,,,,,,,,,,,

Mr. said:
There is a brand new Husqvarna 359 on Ebay right now. DO IT $325. DO IT

Fred
The 359 isn't as much saw as the 036, and slightly heavier into the bargain.

If you look for a new saw in that class, my preference would be the MS361, with the 357xp as a (quite distant) second choise......:D

Latest posts

Back