Advice on spider lifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhtmtreespade

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience with spider lifts. I am looking to buy one. Possibly the Teupen Leo 23GT or Man Lift (MLE) A70TD. I could use some advice.
Thanks

Teupen is aluminum and made in Germany. OMG expensive, but they seem to be really well made. Search the threads, and you will find some owners that really like them.

Manlift is American made, steel construction, and seems to be a knockoff of the Teupen. From what I read about them, they are not enough cheaper than the Teupen to make me want to buy one instead.

Thanks pdqdl. I understand your point about cost, however, I would still prefer to buy American as long as the quality is the same. Would really like to talk to someone that has used one of the MLE units, bought one or at least has seen on up close and personal. Do you own a spider or have you used one?

Mike

biggest difference is the working envelope on the MLE. limited. the higher you telescope the lower boom the further away from the tree you go. its bad enough that spiders arent able to go over center, but to go "away from center" is a bad design. the tuepen goes straight up. I flew out to MLE this winter, flew their A70td, went on a factory tour, had lunch and spent the day with their ceo, gave them feedback. not sure if they changed it up, but they did recognize and see the validity in my feedback. I just wish someone would consult with a spiderlift operator who does tree care on a daily basis BEFORE they design these things.

would of bought one if it was designed better than the Teupen. The one thing I thought was really cool was the diagnostic program that allows their techs to view and program their machine via internet on a laptop. The other, insulated boom for those without bucket trucks. The other, goes as high as tuepen, but is 2" more narrow.

the MLE is longer, more expensive, heavier, slower, not as slim on the upper boom/cage section to allow for snaking in between tree.

Im keeping my eye on them should they improve

... Search the threads, and you will find some owners that really like them.

owners of Teupen are on line, I have gotten reviews from them.

A private message I got once:

Re: Spider lifts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqdl
Which would you buy first: a new bucket truck or the spider lift? It seems that there is no such thing as a used spider lift.

Any comparisons you make will be welcome.

"Well that depends on the kind of work you are doing. i would by bucket first if i had to choose.love my bucket .spider is a specalty peace of eqp .could not live with out ether now that i have been blest to have both.you no when you buy some thing like that you think how did i do with out it.like the first time i got a dump truck-chiper -tracktor-stgrinder -boomtruck .on and on"

Thanks john464, pdqdl and john paul. How much slower than a bucket truck are the spiders? You said that the mle is slower than the teupen, is that the boom functions or the travel speed? Will the Teupen operate from a trailer like the MLE? When you tried out the A70TD how did it feel? I'm sure that they are not as stable as a bucket truck but do they feel flimsy? Are the two units similar as far as controls and operation?

Thanks john464, pdqdl and john paul. How much slower than a bucket truck are the spiders? You said that the mle is slower than the teupen, is that the boom functions or the travel speed? Will the Teupen operate from a trailer like the MLE? When you tried out the A70TD how did it feel? I'm sure that they are not as stable as a bucket truck but do they feel flimsy? Are the two units similar as far as controls and operation?
boom functions, travel is faster, but not advised on turf.
yes op on trailer
slow, limited work envelope, outreach wasnt as good as tuepen high up(due to what I explained in first post)
stable, but do have more flex than bucket truck. dont be scared
no, controls are different

hope that helps

I own a 23gt, been looking for a better machine in the 70-80ft. there is none. tried them all.

You say that you are looking for a better machine than the 23GT. What are it's faults. Also if you had to take down a tree that the bucket or spider could do, how much faster would the bucket be?

Im generally faster with the bucket truck, but it all depends on the tree. The spider is a smaller boom when not telescoped than my altec 60ft that tends to get in the way more often of other trees not being taken down. in this case the spider is faster. spider is also faster on some taller trees since im not directly under the top.

all depends but in most cases the bucket truck is faster. however a faster boom doesnt make you quicker. learn to be a master rigger, thats what will make you fast

boom functions, travel is faster, but not advised on turf.
yes op on trailer
slow, limited work envelope, outreach wasnt as good as tuepen high up(due to what I explained in first post)
stable, but do have more flex than bucket truck. dont be scared
no, controls are different

hope that helps

I own a 23gt, been looking for a better machine in the 70-80ft. there is none. tried them all.
John, it is time for you to contact me if we haven't speak already. The 70-36AJ will definitely fit your bill...

Latest posts

Back