Advice on split trunk pine - appears healthy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jp_over

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Friends,

The below pictured tree is fairly close to our home (currently being built). Should I consider having it taken down or reinforced due to the trunk split? I've read these trees can be problematic in high winds. Of note, this particular tree appears completely healthy at present. Thanks for any advice:

tree 1.JPG

Your problem is that tree is a codominant tree with included bark. It is prone to failure. If you want to keep it, you should remove one of the stems, but I would remove it, if anyone responds with advice on cables, they do not understand 'included bark'.
Jeff :cheers:
It was a beautiful day!

arathol - I'll get another pic of the area but it sounds like I need to have it removed.

jeff - thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it some thought. I'd really like to keep the tree but not in its present state. I'm not sure it would survive losing one of the trunks so I think total removal might be the only option.

Mitigating and stopping a problem are two different things...
One thing that hasn't been mentioned but is pretty obvious is the lack of branches on the tree. If the majority of the branches are at the top of the tree there can be a lot of wind load that may make that split worse.

Included bark, weak crotches & structural deficiencies are issues arborists assess and if warranted mitigate. Attempting to "stop" a mature biotic growth problem is erroneous.

Back