advice purchasing stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmicheliche

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to get into stump grinding part time. I was wondering if anyone had advice what to purchase or stay away from. I also was looking at used equipment. Would anyone recommend how many hours used on a machine is a lot? I want to try and stay away from a purchase that is going to be a headache and break down on me. If anyone has any recommendations where you purchase machines that would be awesome as well. Thank you!

Condition is more important than hours. Grinders take a beating. I've had a vermeer 630a, 665, and now a sc505. Pull types will do the job, but your going to have to walk away from some cause you can't get there. Self propelled is nicer, but they cost 2x as much generally. I prefer diesel motors and greenteeth. I'd avoid anything less than 35hp personally.

Start with a Vermeer sc252 and IF you get business going,--move up to bigger machine! After all once you do a few, ---you might decide this is NOT what you expected from stump grinding! Around here everybody has a grinder of some kind and there is no work for most of us!

Condition is more important than hours. Grinders take a beating. I've had a vermeer 630a, 665, and now a sc505. Pull types will do the job, but your going to have to walk away from some cause you can't get there. Self propelled is nicer, but they cost 2x as much generally. I prefer diesel motors and greenteeth. I'd avoid anything less than 35hp personally.
ty I appreciate it

I wouldn't quite turn up my nose at a 25hp machine. It kinda depends on your business model.

I've been using my Rayco Super Jr since December, 1995. It's been a great little machine, and hasn't ever met a stump it cannot grind. That being said, it isn't the fastest machine to have on a big stump, either.

Consider your business plan, what you intend to grind, and where you make your money. If your business involves grinding a LOT of stumps, inclusive of many freshly removed large trees, you'll probably be discontented with a 25 hp machine. On the other hand, if you are fairly small, and only wish to supplement your sales of tree work by offering a complete package that includes stump removal, I wouldn't consider a larger machine, as it will cost you money every day it isn't in use.

Big machines need big revenue to pay for themselves. Little machines, not so much. Furthermore, I can grind a 12 inch stump just as fast as a 75hp machine, drive there with a lighter towing vehicle, and I'll make more money on the job, even if takes me 10 minutes to grind instead of 3 minutes. Now that 5' diameter silver maple, with the huge root flare and the tall stump on a slope? The big machine will skunk me, because I'll be there for hours.

If your business model includes being a major player in a large stump grinding market, you will need both large & small machines, and probably a hand held grinder as well. Those are real pricey, seldom needed, and no fun to run.

I wouldn't quite turn up my nose at a 25hp machine. It kinda depends on your business model.

I've been using my Rayco Super Jr since December, 1995. It's been a great little machine, and hasn't ever met a stump it cannot grind. That being said, it isn't the fastest machine to have on a big stump, either.

Consider your business plan, what you intend to grind, and where you make your money. If your business involves grinding a LOT of stumps, inclusive of many freshly removed large trees, you'll probably be discontented with a 25 hp machine. On the other hand, if you are fairly small, and only wish to supplement your sales of tree work by offering a complete package that includes stump removal, I wouldn't consider a larger machine, as it will cost you money every day it isn't in use.

Big machines need big revenue to pay for themselves. Little machines, not so much. Furthermore, I can grind a 12 inch stump just as fast as a 75hp machine, drive there with a lighter towing vehicle, and I'll make more money on the job, even if takes me 10 minutes to grind instead of 3 minutes. Now that 5' diameter silver maple, with the huge root flare and the tall stump on a slope? The big machine will skunk me, because I'll be there for hours.

If your business model includes being a major player in a large stump grinding market, you will need both large & small machines, and probably a hand held grinder as well. Those are real pricey, seldom needed, and no fun to run.

Good advice.

35hp is the middle of the road, do most everything size for a stump grinder. My experience has been that Vermeer is the most reliable and has good dealer support. Probably the most expensive too.
Gate size is a major factor. Small machines may fit through a 30” or even smaller gate. Once you get to 35 horse, basically all of them require a 36” opening.
Make sure you like stump grinding before you invest. It’s not for everyone.

Latest posts

Back