Advice/recomendations on old small Stihl or similar chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After sorting my Stihl 041 AV electronic I would like a similar age smaller chainsaw to complement it. I like the quality build of the 041 but it is too heavy for stripping the small stuff. Something that would be easy to handle but built to last. Would like to hear your recommendations and what you like about your saws. I know there are a lot of older saws out there so I thought I'd pick your brains. I am no pro but have been cutting my own free firewood for 15 years and my wee McCulloch California has seen better days. Is it worth overhauling the McCulloch or can you steer me to something special. I get to cut any difficult, awkward located fallen trees the estate can't be bothered to get to with their machinery. I appreciate you are all busy people but would be most grateful for your advice and comments please.
Thank you.

The 041 is a small saw CC wise but its bulky in build. What CC range are you interested in? The Stihl 026 is a great bargain in my mind as they can be found cheap, easy to work on, plenty of OEM and aftermarket parts at reasonable prices.
Thanks for the input, that's the sort of info I'm looking for. Just want a well built older saw but smaller and lighter than the 041. I really like the 041 so maybe a smaller one say of the same era? I thought asking the owners would be a good way to get one I'd be happy with. Nothing worse than buying something then being disappointed. Cheers mate.

After sorting my Stihl 041 AV electronic I would like a similar age smaller chainsaw to complement it. I like the quality build of the 041 but it is too heavy for stripping the small stuff. Something that would be easy to handle but built to last. Would like to hear your recommendations and what you like about your saws. I know there are a lot of older saws out there so I thought I'd pick your brains. I am no pro but have been cutting my own free firewood for 15 years and my wee McCulloch California has seen better days. Is it worth overhauling the McCulloch or can you steer me to something special. I get to cut any difficult, awkward located fallen trees the estate can't be bothered to get to with their machinery. I appreciate you are all busy people but would be most grateful for your advice and comments please.
Thank you.

I've run briefly the 026, not sure which model.

It was great. Comparable to the 346 with slightly less chain speed.

I have a couple 024av/s that I'm going to try to fix up this Summer. They have nice feel in the hand and are peppy. The 024S can be converted to an 026.

028's are solid and near the 254/357 range.

I wood aim for Supers or better, but any of them are decent, especially at the right price.

Someone else put up two 028's for sale months ago. Might try looking to see if they're still available.

I've run briefly the 026, not sure which model.

It was great. Comparable to the 346 with slightly less chain speed.

I have a couple 024av/s that I'm going to try to fix up this Summer. They have nice feel in the hand and are peppy. The 024S can be converted to an 026.

028's are solid and near the 254/357 range.

I wood aim for Supers or better, but any of them are decent, especially at the right price.

Someone else put up two 028's for sale months ago. Might try looking to see if they're still available.
Thanks I'll have a look at these

Thank you.
You need more than one saw, just like you need more than one size of screwdriver.
There are different tools for different jobs.

If you want a Stihl saw of the similar era as an 041, try a Stihl 020AV or 020AVP (the predecessors of the 192, 200 and 201). Be aware that these are kind of cult saws, and are about as difficult to work on as the 041.

View attachment 969840View attachment 969841

Definitely not easy to work on! I have an 020 Super top handle; I'm looking for an 020 rear handle.

You need more than one saw, just like you need more than one size of screwdriver.
There are different tools for different jobs.
Aye! That's right and that's why I'm asking about a smaller, same era saw as my 041. The 041 is for the heavy work and the smaller is for the light work. No point in wielding a broadsword when the jab of a dirk will do and leave energy for taking out more. Two saws will be just fine for me as I only cut to feed my wood burner with back boiler. Plenty enough work for an auld yin (that's me and the saw) This old 041 is a cracking saw and it's in good nick too. Bought from ebay couple of years ago for a bargain £90. Thanks for all the reply's and keep them coming. It's interesting to know what you all think.

Latest posts

Back