aftermarket crankcases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1rules

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anybody try using any of the aftermarket crankcases that are available to repair their stihl saws? And if so, how was the quality? Did the cases work ok?

I haven't tried one but I would imagine they would work for someone on a budget. Usually if I need a crankcase I just save the parts in a box for the next saw. I've got a box full of MS390 parts right now, just waiting for another parts saw to combine these with.

Just got the ms660 case in a week ago and I have to say it's identical as a stihl
Just waiting on the piston to come in but I have to say that I like it image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThe one on the right is a stihl and the left is the aftermarket. It looks great for
$45.00 :) it came with the bearings and seals but that my crank.

It does appear to be quite an exact replica. How does the crank rotate in the aftermarket case? Just curious how in line their bearing bores are on center to each other etc. It does seem quite worth the $45 though, especially if just trying to resurrect one from the dead, using left over parts and a few aftermarket items.

Was thinking....wonder if the aftermarket cases are magnesium, or cast aluminum rather to save on manufacturing costs? I'm leaning towards cast aluminum....

Probably made on the same tool, in the same Far East factory... Look in the area where there is a stihl part number on the oem part, does aftermarket have grinding marks there?

It does appear to be quite an exact replica. How does the crank rotate in the aftermarket case? Just curious how in line their bearing bores are on center to each other etc. It does seem quite worth the $45 though, especially if just trying to resurrect one from the dead, using left over parts and a few aftermarket items.
Crank spins great! No problems
The bearings are the same that I put in all my rebuilds with no callbacks. I messaged them about the cast metallurgy and they responded magnesium. So WTH give it a shot but I can't see were there would be an issue. Body isn't tight and bearings are spinning. The only thing that could be wrong is the deck. When I get the Pistons in I'll let u know what the squish is. Tahleehooooo

That's true on the deck. All it takes is a few thousands too high and you will have a large squish clearance. But keep us posted! :)

Go to " leaner technique " in Forestry and logging form and you will see one in actually from a few weeks ago cutting a 5 1/2 ft Cottonwood. That saw is all aftermarket with a basic BB and three port mufler. I've had a few top ends on it and at one point last year it was my main Falling saw. I am waiting for some 50mm and 51.4 ported jugs comming but I am comfortable running about another 4 month pro use on that bottom end yet. It's probably has 6 hard months on the bottom with other ported jugs on it.
It's a husky but the key is all about installation. If you tap the crank back and forth and it still seems tight then make a thicker gasket. It's got to be loose on them.

If you don't mind saying, where can I get 1 for $45?Cheapest one I bought was $46.99.
image.png
I got this one on an auction but I know If u buy 4 at a time u can get them for $45.00 a pop. But $46.99 - $45.00 is a great price :)

I'm just waiting on an other set of 660 Pistons. .020 to .030 squish I'll be happy. I have a lathe to deck them.
But if the piston hits the roof with the gasket I'll be *#%***ed lol
But if looks like a duck a Quacks like a duck I'm buying a mass of theses to build. I've painted and welded cracked cases and to get away from that for $45
It's sooo worth it:)

Ok I'm bored lol so I put the piston pin in the rod and got this to show :dumb:
* Aftermarket
image.jpeg image.jpeg
* Stihl
image.jpeg image.jpeg
:happybanana:Not to bad:happybanana:

Lol
That's good. I just don't like seeing that orange RTV sealant on the aftermarket case halves. Lol
Ok lol old habits are hard to brake:crazy:
I used that stuff since I was a kid on gaskets so ladeda lol
Any way here are are hard numbers on squish with a .015 gasketimage.jpegimage.jpeg :happybanana: worked out pretty dam good
The bolt holes lined up perfectly. So far no complaints. And the jug is a oem stihl.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I know I'm going to have fun braking her in. I really like this after markets case!! I hope u have the same luck as I did. Everything worked out perfectly. In fact the only thing missing is the cereal numbers.

Back