Aftermarket fuel line issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off this is not an AM parts bashing thread, just my observations after replacing a bad fuel line with AM fuel line. Upon inspection of the new coiled line, I noticed it has a distinct oval,semi flattened shape to it and is very soft and pliable. The new line slid onto the fuel filter with almost no effort, and the other end slid onto the carb fitting with even less effort. After starting the saw and running it for a while, I throttled up the saw and it acted like it was starving for gas. Zip tied the carb end fitting and smeared grease on the through tank hole. Still starving for fuel. Checked out the line and found it flatter than when it was first installed. Looked like it was restricting the fuel flow. Ordered an OEM line, installed it, noticed it was stiffer line with a smaller diameter opening and it fit tighter on the carb and through the tank opening. Filter really had to be twisted to get it on the line. Saw started and ran full throttle like a new one. The AM line was indicated as a replacement for the exact number OEM fuel line that was called for on my 346xp. The AM fuel line was Hyway. Anyone else had a similar experience, or is it just me?

I've used mostly OEM in the past but have tried a few AM covers, and found them pretty decent copies. This soft rubber Hyway fuel line didn't look quite right when I first saw it up close, but I figured Hyway had a good reputation for it's AM pistons, the line should work well also. There was no rigidity at all, and it almost pinched off when it made the turn up to the carb. I figured once the line became pressurized with fuel it would be fine but that certainly wasn't the case.

I've used mostly OEM in the past but have tried a few AM covers, and found them pretty decent copies. This soft rubber Hyway fuel line didn't look quite right when I first saw it up close, but I figured Hyway had a good reputation for it's AM pistons, the line should work well also. There was no rigidity at all, and it almost pinched off when it made the turn up to the carb. I figured once the line became pressurized with fuel it would be fine but that certainly wasn't the case.
Yup I had that same problem with impulse line.

dealer vs personal repairs so my choices arent exactly the same as yours but i dont use AM rubber components other than some random crank seals that are expensive(stihl 290). most of the hard parts have been decent enough to use but enough bad experiences with the AM fuel lines, carb kits, and filters that i dont even bother with them.

The ID isn't even close. You would need to feel the line to understand how soft it really is. I can easily stretch it almost twice it's length with my hands. Unless the replacement numbers were inaccurate, something is seriously wrong with the design of this fuel line. Maybe I'm wrong, or missing something, but I would beware of using it ( as others have said).

I have had no issues with hard parts, as f150 stated. Cylinder, rewind and clutch covers all fit well and seem well made.

There are some aftermarket fuel lines you can use on the 290 310 390 saws but until they improve I would stay away from the Chinese ones. I bought one a couple of weeks ago from the local shop that was either Stens or Oregon and it worked fine with no kinking. The Chinese ones kink at the bend right before the inlet nozzle, I've tried several and they all kink. I also tried the Chinese lines on a MS250 and they worked good for it but the bend isn't as sharp on the 250.

I am rebuilding my 029 Super and put a new top end on it. The top end is an AM 49mm 039/390 p&c. While I had it apart, I was going to replace all the lines. I started to put it back together and the AM fuel line that I had installed, kinked as soon as I slid it into the location for mounting the carb. I checked the old fuel line and put it back in, without any issues. The only reason I haven't put a new oem fuel line in, is because the local dealer wants 12.99 + tax for one and I am tight on funds right now.

I am rebuilding my 029 Super and put a new top end on it. The top end is an AM 49mm 039/390 p&c. While I had it apart, I was going to replace all the lines. I started to put it back together and the AM fuel line that I had installed, kinked as soon as I slid it into the location for mounting the carb. I checked the old fuel line and put it back in, without any issues. The only reason I haven't put a new oem fuel line in, is because the local dealer wants 12.99 + tax for one and I am tight on funds right now.
I think you are going to like your saw with the 390 top end. I have built 2 so far with am parts and am very happy with them. On mine I run a 24" bar with semi-chisel non safety chain. Love this combination as the extra reach of the bigger bar saves wear and tear on my back.

I fired up my newly rebuilt 029 changed to 039 muffler mod saw today and it ran great without any coaxing at all. I used an OEM used fuel line that I had but will probably change it sometime. I still have to put a bar and chain on it which I don't have but maybe soon one will arrive in the mail (or not). Been waiting over a week but that's a different post.

I am looking forward to getting it finished up. Been wanting a little more power and wanting the ability to have a 24" b&c on it. Just didn't feel that the 029 super was enough and I was having issues with idling on it. I pulled the muffler and saw some minor scoring. Did a comp check and it was blowing 140#. It had been seeming a little weaker than norm, before I started having the idling issues. Before I started doing the full rebuild, I put new seals in it and made sure she was sealed up tight. Rebuilt the carb and did a MM. I could never get it to tune out. I would adjust it and get it running good, then it would make a fool out of me. Got tired of adjusting it and decided it was time for a full rebuild and upgrade. I think the original cylinder will clean up. I may look for a cheap carcass, get a new meteor piston and build another 029/290 just to have as a backup. Money just won't allow right now. The wifes vehicle needs more work. Just got done doing both wheel bearing/hub assemblies and brakes on the front end, yesterday.

Latest posts

Back