Aftermarket Stihl spare parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There's inexpensive "aftermarket" spare parts for Stihl saws being sold on e-bay (<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7736744764&ssPageName=ADME:B:DS:US:28>). Are they any good? And, isn't it best to renew both cylinder and piston at the same time?

Thanks
Tom

I don't know about the actual product, but the seller looks lacking.

I like changing them as a set, but alot don't mind. Esepcially if it's a beater saw or they're going to sell it after the rebuild. If it was my saw and my rebuild I'd buy a factory Stihl set, but that's just me.

Jeff

yes, this guy is new, so the jury is out. I'm going to wait for someone else on AS to try them first. Are they Chinese parts or what? Will he stand behind them if they fail? I'd buy from Baileys if I wanted aftermarket pistons/rings - at least you have some recourse.

If you buy the cylinder/pistons sets from ls_quintos on Ebay - he is selling genuine Stihl stuff... Must have got a truck load a few years ago. I'm guessing Stihl or Mahle dumped (maybe to Russia?) large quantities of 026/36 parts (and a few others) when they changed the cylinders on the 26 and stopped production on the MS360. The parts were then shipped back to the USA. I've used plenty of them, and they are real nice...

I ordered one of the 066 pistons off ebay (from the guy in Germany). Waiting to see how long it takes to get here and what the quality is like. Figured for $48 bucks it was worth the chance. The only thing I will probably do is buy actual Stihl circlips for it, after hearing that Bailey's was having some problems with the circlips coming off aftermarket stuff.

I've used some Tecomec aftemarket stuff in the past and had good luck. Just have to wait and see on this guy.

Tom

pistons from europe

I asked the seller where these pistons were made and if there was a track record on their performance.
His response, "hi,
The pistons come from Europe!
regards"

Buyer beware, of course.

This is a perfect example of why Stihl only distributes parts through authorized dealers. I'm just waiting for someone to come back and say "Oh, this jerk ripped me off!"

lurk.gif

Back