Again Asking For ID Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
This tree was wedged up against another tree dead when the farmer that is letting me cut in his timber pulled it down with his dozer for me to cut. I was 100% sure it was Hickory until it was on the ground and I started cutting it. On the ground I started leaning towards Elm because of the odd odder coming from it. Mind you I have never cut on a Hickory in my life so maybe it has the right odder for hickory, I don't know. Only have the bark and the funny looking wood grain on the ends to help with the ID. Couple of other things that might help is that it is in a stand with a bunch of other Hickory and Oak trees along with a few Ash and Elm. What is throwing me is the bark does not look like any of the bark on the surrounding trees. Also these rounds weigh a freaking ton and are wetter the all get out. I thought I was better at tree IDing then I really am so any guesses would be much appreciated. It makes a difference to me where I stack it in my rows for drying. Thanks.
Edit In the bottom picture the round in the top right hand corner is Oak from a different cut.

The bark looks hickory, all flaky. Can't comment on color end grain, all mostly shades of gray to me.

When you cut it, it should *smell* smoky/bacony, etc.

Definitely not hickory. No visible heartwood/sapwood. Inner bark too shreddy.

Might be willow, otherwise dunno.

Hickory will smell like the pig barn at a county fair when green. Looks like a hickory to me. Was the bark hitting you in the face when cutting it?

well it isn't shag bark hickory, Nor does the bark look look like another type of hickory I have in my stacks- maybe an Elm due to your description of barn order and very wet, locally what we call Piss Elm- unfortunately I do not remember the correct name.

Back