Age old question needs newbie answer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoctagon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in the market for my first saw and i am torn between 2. Either a Stihl 290 or a Dolmar 5100s. Both seem like great saws but only one can be bought. The stihl is going for about 330 and te dolmar is 375. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance. P.S. I am also thinking of becoming a dealer for Dolmar so any info on them would be great. Thats whats making me lean tward it but if they arent worth it i wont even mess with it and just get the stihl.

Depends on whether you are doing mostly prunning or a lot of removals ! You might think on a good hand saw, pole pruner, limbing saw & possibly one large enough for removals ( 24" bar & chain ). A least 2 power saws & some hand equipment. A couple good ropes & climbing gear. Food for thought .

Depends on whether you are doing mostly prunning or a lot of removals ! You might think on a good hand saw, pole pruner, limbing saw & possibly one large enough for removals ( 24" bar & chain ). A least 2 power saws & some hand equipment. A couple good ropes & climbing gear. Food for thought .

I'll have to look into some of that too. Im mostly doing this for myself but i may be branching out as i go. Getting a wood burning boiler to heat my shops so i need to start stock piling.

If you are doing only ground work, felling limbing and bucking; my favorite is the Husky 346. Best PtW ratio out there. Screaming RPMs and can pull a sharp 28 inch bar if you know what you are doing.

Best all around saw out there. If you can keep a chain sharp, you would love the saw and agree that paying up for it was worth it.

Costs around $400 w/o bar.

029-290

How many guys have at least one 290 that goes out with them everyday ?It'll oil 20 inches all day long.Been buying and using them since the 80's. Get two years or so out of them running hard four or five days a week. No complaints here.

Latest posts

Back