Agrartechnik 50cc and 70cc CS evaluations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All,

In an earlier thread I had asked if anyone had a link to a published evaluation of Dolmar vs Husqvarna vs Sthil vs Shindawa 50 cc saws. Since no one did, I thought I would find it and post it again. It is an interesting read and is pertinent to some recent posts.

Linky: http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18956&d=1101586254

I was interested in revisiting the evaluation because I was interested in buying a Dolmar PS5100s. The Dolmar 50cc saw in the Agrartechnik test is called the PS 5000. The specifications are similar to the PS5100s and may be the same saw.
I did order one from Uwharrie while he had them on sale. Dealing with him was as good as an internet transaction can be. At my request, he exchanged the stock 18" Dolmar bar (according to the Agrartechnik test article, Dolmar bars are rebadged Oregon bars) with a 20" GB 3/8, .050 Power Tech bar which he did at no additional cost.

Fedex delivered the saw yesterday and I have not been able to run it very much. So far, I am happy with it. With the 20" GB bar, the saw is balanced at the front handle. That may be due, in part, to the GB Power Tech bar being narrow profile and closer to 19" than the expected 20". All of which is fine by me.

I was interested in the PS5100s because I wanted a lighter back-up saw for my Husky 539 (mod-less until the factory warranty is over). As far as I can tell (with less than an hour felling and cutting softwood) there is only the slightest difference in cutting speed between the 359 and the PS5100. This should be expected since both saws are rated at the same power. The 359 has a little more torque though. Perhaps the difference will be less noticible when the PS5100s breaks in.

What is impressive about the PS5100s is that it is approximately 2 lb lighter than the 359 when both saws are fully fueled and oiled. I'll have to pay closer attention in the future but the PS5100s seems to suck up fuel faster than the 359.

Yeah, I know that this is an apples (Dolmar red) to oranges (Husky orange) comparison because of all of the unaccounted for variables but those are my impressions so far.

Last edited:
apples and oranges

Good luck with it!Does the muffler have a cat in it?Love my 359!

Scrench,

Keep us posted on your 5100. Mine should be in on Tuesday if the distributor has them in stock. I doubt I will have time to play with it untill the weekend.

Jim

314epw said:
Good luck with it!Does the muffler have a cat in it?Love my 359!

If you are asking about the muffler on the PS 5100s, I don't know. Maybe a dealer will chime in and have an answer. I did not read anything about a cat in the owner's manual. The muffler does have a tinny popping sound going for it though. It sounds a little like the tuned exhaust I heard from a full race two-stroke Bultaco dirt bike a neighbor irritated the neighborhood with years ago. I sure hope the sound is normal to the PS 5100s. I assume that it is because I had asked Uwharrie to set the saw up and run it before sending it to me.

If you are asking about the muffler on the 359, yeah, it is an e-tech.

Back