air filter cleaning and maintanence.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AU_K2500

NSM
Reaction score
What is the best way to clean a REALLY clogged air filter, one that is so clogged the saw wont come off idle.....and its not large debris that i can just brush off, its an older filter, and its got some kind of oil buildup thats not allowing any air to pass through....trash it and spend 10 bucks on a new one, or is there a better way. besides that the filter is in great shape, no rips or holes. ive got a couple others that need cleaning too....Hot soapy water, Gas, degreaser, carb cleaner???

Which saw is it for...some of the Stihl filters can be split in half. Hot soapy water works good along with a tooth brush, compressed air wooks really good too. Always have a back-up filter though:rock:

I use my air compressor and a blow gun on a regular basis. I pull my filter apart and blow from both sides making sure I get all the dust and debre out of it, then I blow out the carb compartment, careful to protect the carb throat. I blow the fins and anything else I can get to as well. My saw is about 10 years old, and I have had no problems with it by taking care of it like this.

Which saw is it for...some of the Stihl filters can be split in half. Hot soapy water works good along with a tooth brush, compressed air wooks really good too. Always have a back-up filter though:rock:

The one im having trouble with is for a small Mac. It just a small flat filter. Ive let it soak in hot soapy water, next step is to blow it out and let it dry.

I just wanted to se what other people did, maybe im missing something.

It's probably oil that has caked the 'fines' to the filter.

Soak in a heavy solution of Dawn dish-wash detergent and water...
(Not heavy-sticky...just like twice or 3x what someone would wash dishes with)

Then try to remove with a very soft toothbrush...like a babies toothbrush.
A stiffer one will remove the fleecing...!!!

I would buy another filter as well...in case this system doesn't work out..!!
:cheers:
J2F

It's probably oil that has caked the 'fines' to the filter.

Soak in a heavy solution of Dawn dish-wash detergent and water...
(Not heavy-sticky...just like twice or 3x what someone would wash dishes with)

Then try to remove with a very soft toothbrush...like a babies toothbrush.
A stiffer one will remove the fleecing...!!!

I would buy another filter as well...in case this system doesn't work out..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Shes running good now...except for a dull chain! but no more choking out due to the air filter, its free and clear now after soaking in Dawn and hot water for about 2.5 hours. then blowing out with comp. air!

Thanks for all the input guys.

some filters are not washable. For the ones that are, hot soapy water and then rinsed in fresh water is the preferred method. Petrol will also work, but would be my second option (If you are in the bush and need to wash it then mix will work, better to have a clean air filter than not). No matter which way you do it, let it dry properly before use.

Compressed air is not ideal as it can damage the filter fibres/membrane.

Shes running good now...except for a dull chain! but no more choking out due to the air filter, its free and clear now after soaking in Dawn and hot water for about 2.5 hours. then blowing out with comp. air!

Thanks for all the input guys.

your dull chain is responsible for the fines that clogged your filter

your dull chain is responsible for the fines that clogged your filter

probably...but some woods will produce fines no matter what, In fact if your chain is too sharp (ie the angles etc) it will dull within a few cuts and be worse off. Over here a new semi chisel will stay shaper longer than new full chisel. Resulting in less fines. But fines are unavoidable in some woods, be it our hardwoods or say some dry western red ceder.

If it's the SP40 in your signature, as far as I know, that's the easiest filter to make, slightly ahead of a Poulan s25. You could easily cut it out of any flat filtration membrane. You could even use a sock.

Back