Air filter maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
Air filter maintenance, we all do it (most of us) but when and how?

Do you do it at a set frequency of run time hours, or so many weeks/months, or just based on visual?

When you clean the filter how do you do it, compressed air, soap/water or some kind of filter cleaner like K&N offers? I imagine this will change with the different kinds filter material etc. please describe your method.

My 2159 uses a 537-01-09-03 felt filter. Are these washable or throw away?

image.jpg

image.jpg

What I can say is it seems to be doing it's job still as I don't see and fines in the intake elbow.

For felt filters I use a soft brush and knock out the fines after every couple of tanks. If it looks really nasty it gets the dawn dish soap treatment.

Paper filters like the HD2 I blow out with compressed air.

For felt filters I use a soft brush and knock out the fines after every couple of tanks. If it looks really nasty it gets the dawn dish soap treatment.

Paper filters like the HD2 I blow out with compressed air.

Ditto on methods. However, Every time I fill the tank, I check the filter. If it needs it, I'll tap it out and keep going. If it's really gunked up, I pull it and put on a fresh filter, take the dirty one home and clean it. I have at least 3 filters per saw and keep them in rotation. Except for the 661. It only has 2. Probably need to pick up a third...

My hd2 type ,i tap out ,or light blast of air ,yours looks like a light blast of air will clean the fines out ,use light pressure so do not ruin the fibers in the filter .I clean them as they need it ,i run outerwears covers also ,so that stretches my time out even more between cleanings .

An air filter can't be too clean, but it can be too dirty.

Foam filters, water and liquid soap to clean. Squeeze and let air dry. HD-2's, just tap and some controlled low air pressure.

I always have an extra filter on hand at all times. Depending on the type of foam filter, I do use filter oil such as K&N spray oil.

I drop them in a bucket of hot soapy water and swish then around getting all the debris out. Then use compressed air to dry them. After that set them in the sun to completely dry.
If cutting in really dusty conditions I apply a bit of spray on air filter oil.
And I clean after about 3-4 tank fills.
Possibly a bit to often but I cut only for my own fire place.
And as said above hd2 filters need only tapping or a light blow with compressed air

Depends on the type and how often they need it. I try to check my saws on a daily basis, for general cleaning.

Some of the newer saws have a pre-filter/cyclone/'sealed' filter box that really reduces the amount of air filter maintenance required.

Shake or wipe off off any heavy stuff with my finger. If I have access to an air compressor, I will try to blow them from the inside out *with the nozzle held at a distance* - don't want to blow off any felt, or blast holes in the paper.

Washing in the warm soapy water would be a 'heavy cleaning' for me, which would be done infrequently. Maybe on a used saw, or after some unusually dirty event.

A spare filter is a good idea.

Philbert

Back