Air Filter Replacement for Stihl 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ri chevy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Stihl 029 came with an OEM nylon mesh type of air filter when I got the saw. Most of the replacement air filters sold by dealers are fleece lined. Should I try and find the OEM nylon or just go with the fleece lined? Which air filters are more durable? My dealer states the nylon mesh filter was for winter use. My last fleece air filter did not last too long which is why I am asking.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Replacement Sithl air filters

The nylon mesh type air filters look white in color and the fleece lined type air filters look mustard yellow in color.

Last edited:
Fleece Filter

OK. Thanks for the replies. My last fleece filter didn't last very well, but I will try another.

Cleaning Air Filter

I use a spray carburetor cleaner from the inside of the filter to the out.This washes most of the matter out.Many brush the filter off but this has the effect of pushing particles deeper into the filter.I use the spray this way on my 025, O28 and Husky 51, 55 just to name a few.Ken

What is the proper way to clean it? I use an air gun and blow it off from the side.

An air gun is fine if you use low pressure, you don't want to blast the flock off just the dust.
If the filter is oily I clean with warm soapy water then rinse in clean water.

i bought a brand new 346xp at the end of last year,, the first thing i did was take the mesh filter out and put the fleece filter in

Fleece Filter

Thank you. I have a new fleece filter coming. It seems that my 029 is an "older" version, with a different filter than most all the rest of them.

It has been my experience that the fleece/flocked filter is for Summer use, while the nylon mesh filter is intended for Winter/COLD weather use......I found that in a Stihl manual years ago.....Every saw I re-condition, gets both filters for that seasonal reason. The pre-filter, which seems to get discarded (?) clearly shows a Sum/Win symbol, and the hot air shutter on the front of the engine furthers that purpose. These filters, as per the manual, split open with a flat screwdriver, and can be washed in the kitchen sink........I prefer to simply invest in a new filter......Good Luck!

Back