Air Injection has it's limits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When was the last time this guy checked his air filter? :msp_biggrin: Poor saw was toast. Everything else on it was as bad as the air filter. Fuel filter, rocked out chain flopping around in a worn out bar.

NPtgbcs.jpg

mdaekGS.jpg

Some don't care. I have an MS460, 310, 029--all passed on to me cause of neglect. Saws are like cars--take care of 'em----they'll take care of you-longivity

Same with me John. The greater part of my collection are saws that were neglected until they gave up the ghost. Some were in such great cosmetic shape that I HAD to rebuild them. :msp_biggrin:

I just dont get it. Maybe im a little obsessed with post cutting maintenance, but still that saw has been neglected lol.

My post cutting routine is as follows:

1. Remove bar and chain, blow out bar groove, check nose sprocket, and check rails for burs etc. Takes a couple mins.
2. Remove engine cover. blow off entire saw with compressed air including chain and engine covers. Another couple mins
3. Remove air filter, inspect and blow it off with compressed air. Maybe a minute
4. Flip bar, reinstall with chain, adjust chain. Couple mins
5. File chain...This takes me the longest, i take my time and refuse to rush here. That being said, i probably do more with a file that what the file was meant to do, and might benefit from a grinder. 15-20mins maybe more if i hit something etc
6. Blow off entire saw one more time. Minute or so
7. Check all fasteners.
8. Fill fuel and bar oil...If i dont anticipate cutting for a while i empty the fuel and run the saw dry

A bit much? maybe, just what i like to do.

Some don't care. I have an MS460, 310, 029--all passed on to me cause of neglect. Saws are like cars--take care of 'em----they'll take care of you-longivity

Yup, for as much as the gent spent on the saw, you'd think he'd be a bit more diligent. Re the car statement, I agree. But I also believe cars seem to need so little attention these days I feel folks have been transferring this thinking to saws. Remember how often we used to have do tune-ups and change out plugs, points, condensers and the like?

The "get in and go" thing rules these days. More busted saws for us chainsaw heads, I guess.

OK, that's appalling, but why does it hurt the saw? It can't get any air, the mixture should be pig rich, it can barely run or make power. It oughta be well lubed inside!

I fall in the less obsessive end of the spectrum. 1) good gas with carefully mixed synthetic
2) clean air filter 3) good tune 4) sharp chain 5) lots of bar oil. My saws are ugly and dirty, but then again usually so am I!
As soon as I get around to building that glass saw display case I've always wanted, I'm sure they'll be much cleaner!:msp_biggrin:

Just maby when he get's the repair bill it might open his eye's.

It opened 'em all right. He bailed on repairing it when I gave him the estimate. New top end, gasket, plug, fuel line and filter, air filter, plus labor. Add in a new bar and chain, and with sales tax he was over $400.

It opened 'em all right. He bailed on repairing it when I gave him the estimate. New top end, gasket, plug, fuel line and filter, air filter, plus labor. Add in a new bar and chain, and with sales tax he was over $400.

So, what are you going to do with it? Parts saw? Is the cylinder cleanable? AM piston/ring(s)? Did you tell him the saw was dead because of poor maintenance? If you did, what was his reaction? Did he buy a new saw?

Yup, for as much as the gent spent on the saw, you'd think he'd be a bit more diligent. Re the car statement, I agree. But I also believe cars seem to need so little attention these days I feel folks have been transferring this thinking to saws. Remember how often we used to have do tune-ups and change out plugs, points, condensers and the like?

The "get in and go" thing rules these days. More busted saws for us chainsaw heads, I guess.

Yea whenever I hear somebody say" They sure don't make them cars like they used too." I say I'm real glad about that!!!!!

Spike, blow that saw out and save all that debri. That stuff makes an excellant fire starter. At least he looks like he was running real bar and chain oil. Most of the saws I see packed with crud like that smell like the grease pit at an old garage.

that is just plain nasty,,, when i get done using mine i take the air hose to it EVERY TIME,, thats why my saws still look new

i can just never understand how people can put 500.00-1000.00 in a new saw and not take care of it. if one of my guys did that to my saws he would be looking for a job real quick! on a lighter note, i just tore down a 100.00 024 parts saw in very similar shape. i got very lucky, as the saw had a near new MAHLE jug on it. it was actually in great shape under all the crud.

When was the last time this guy checked his air filter? :msp_biggrin: Poor saw was toast. Everything else on it was as bad as the air filter. Fuel filter, rocked out chain flopping around in a worn out bar.

NPtgbcs.jpg

Maybe he read the K&N ads that say the filters clean better when they're dirty?

Nice "flocking"! :D

Back