Air leaks causing lean seizure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a question about air leaks from cracked fuel lines or bad crank seals.
I have read on here that such air leaks can cause lean seizures.
My question is if you had an air leak causing a lean condition, would you not be able to hear that the saw is never four-stroking.

Sometimes they will only leak, or suffer lack of fuel, under a full load, for extended periods of time.
Check your tank vent, that it isn't clogged.
Dolmar cutoff saws tank vents are notorious for holding fine at the check valve, but not quite letting in sufficient air through the tank vent's filter during a long sustained cut.

Leaking seals and fuel lines are not exclusively "evil", as one can burn up/destroy a saw by just leaning out the adjustment screws.

Sometimes, a bad air leak can let a saw run enough to burn the saw up, sometimes the leak is so bad, that the saw cannot be nursed along to keep running and damage the saw. Of course, there is usually the idiot that keeps trying to "adjust out" the running problem and keep sawing.....
If the saw is acting up, shut it off and fix it.

I know of at least three sawyers who worked for a logger and then ruined his saws by leaning out the carb at the high end to make them run faster. I had to repair the saws with new top ends. Eventually, the owner fired them and refused to allow them to operate his equipment.
066 Worn Piston1.JPG
Something like this usually happens. A saw's engine will not start with this piston and rings. I have to wonder if MTronic saws arose because the engines cannot be easily adjusted by the average operator to run lean.

Back