Air Purifier In Your Home?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NJPATRIOT

NJPATRIOT

ArboristSite Lurker
:monkey: My wife has a history of Asthma and Allergies and her doctor recently advised her to have us stop burning wood in our home or get an outdoor furnace. An outdoor furnace is out of the question, we live in a valley and it would smoke out the neighbors, whom I am currently friendly with. We currently have an RSF insert with a blower which certainly adds to the amount of dust particles in the air. I was wondering if anyone out there uses or has considered an air cleaner/air purifier to cut down on added dust from burning wood in there home? If so what are you using or what have you learned about various products? I need to try something because burning wood has become a comfortable lifestyle, from cutting/splitting/stacking/and finally enjoying the rewards of burning wood. Thanks

Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious

ArboristSite Operative
Just buy a true hepa room air cleaner and put it in the room with the woodburner. I have been using them for over 10 years since honeywell first came out with them. Sears, lowes and elsewhere sells them.

Just get a big one since the little ones are too small. The new styles are nice since they can sit up against a wall. The original ones were circular and you had to put them in the center of a room.

mga

wandering
avoid those "ion" producing air cleaners. they put a negative charge into the air and any particles then attach them selves to walls and other objects. over time, you'll see your walls darken, especially in certain sections. this is more noticable in homes where people may smoke, altho i know that is not your case, but the dust particles then make your home even more "dirtier". negative ion chargers don't actually clean the air.

as stated above, hepa air cleaners are the way to go.

DonB

ArboristSite Member
Supposedly, an ionizer that puts out positive ions as well as negative ions will not plate the walls. Particles simply drop from the air. I dunno but we've been using one since 1995 with excellent results and no apparent problems. Seems like we would have noticed something by now. It also puts out a selectable amount of ozone which really cleans and freshens the air.

In 2003 my wife and I got home on a Saturday at 2 AM and found a dead skunk in the house. It came in the dog door and the boys killed it. The house was completely :censored: There was blood from one end to the other and we could smell it as soon as we pulled into the garage. My wife couldn't go in the house without gagging so she slept in the car and I went straight to work on it. I washed the entire interior of the house with enzymatic cleaner and turned the ozone output to full. After 12 straight hours of cleaning the house and dogs and pumping ozone into the place, the skunk smell was undetectable by several fresh test noses called in to check it out. The dogs still had an aroma after their treatments but the house itself was clear.

mga

wandering
Supposedly, an ionizer that puts out positive ions as well as negative ions will not plate the walls. Particles simply drop from the air. I dunno but we've been using one since 1995 with excellent results and no apparent problems. Seems like we would have noticed something by now. It also puts out a selectable amount of ozone which really cleans and freshens the air.

In 2003 my wife and I got home on a Saturday at 2 AM and found a dead skunk in the house. It came in the dog door and the boys killed it. The house was completely :censored: There was blood from one end to the other and we could smell it as soon as we pulled into the garage. My wife couldn't go in the house without gagging so she slept in the car and I went straight to work on it. I washed the entire interior of the house with enzymatic cleaner and turned the ozone output to full. After 12 straight hours of cleaning the house and dogs and pumping ozone into the place, the skunk smell was undetectable by several fresh test noses called in to check it out. The dogs still had an aroma after their treatments but the house itself was clear.

ozone versus ion......huge difference.

i'll still stand behind my argument against ions.

i've been in many houses where people smoke and use an ionizer thinking it's cleaning the air, only to find out all those particles are stuck to the walls.

Last edited:
BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ozone is an excellent deodorizer, and is used by professional restoration companies that clean up fire damage, crime scenes, etc.

But it's VERY bad for asthmatics.

DonB

ArboristSite Member
i'll still stand behind my argument against ions.

Stand all you want. My 13 years of experience with an ionizer that puts out 4000 negative and 3000 positive ions per cc says you're wrong. But then again, we're talking about different equipment. A machine that distributes negative ionizer does plate things up. Ours doesn't.

You won't see any dust in our air and you won't see any rings behind the pictures on our walls.

Edit: You also don't smell any evidence of woodburning in our house since we started using this machine.

Last edited: