Air Shocks Installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A landscaper that had an old saggy toyota pickup showed me a trick that lets him haul oversize loads (3rd world style). What he did was he notched 2 6x6 post blocks to go between the frame and leaf spring on each side so that the load stayed level, then he put 90psi into the rear tires.

He said that he had loaded some large boulders in the bed one time for a short haul and it worked although then you have the problem of steering and breaking not to mention the stress that it puts on the rear axle wheel bearings...

But it will work in a pinch, and it is cheap... until you break something

A landscaper that had an old saggy toyota pickup showed me a trick that lets him haul oversize loads (3rd world style). What he did was he notched 2 6x6 post blocks to go between the frame and leaf spring on each side so that the load stayed level, then he put 90psi into the rear tires.

He said that he had loaded some large boulders in the bed one time for a short haul and it worked although then you have the problem of steering and breaking not to mention the stress that it puts on the rear axle wheel bearings...

But it will work in a pinch, and it is cheap... until you break something
90 psi? The P265 tires I have are rated at 50 psi. I usually set them at 48 psi for heavy loads and that's plenty. The load rating on my tires is more than any firewood I could ever drop into the truck bed, even with the sideboards on and stacked cab high.

The average distance I will be carrying a full load is about 35 miles this year.

I put a set of air shocks on my 02 chevy 1500 & I LOVE them. But I might have to try the 6x6 trick for some large loads. LOL

After reading over all the info here I decided to go with the Airlift 5000 system my 67 Ford F100 from Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-57215/ I got the onboard controller as well so I can adjust it on the fly http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-25592/ Summit Racing is local to me so I just drove over to pick it up but I did have to pay sales tax. The entire install time was 2HR & 20 min and I'm pretty happy with it so far but have not put any weight in the back of it yet. The F100 is a 1/4 ton to begin with and now that it's 43 years old I'm hoping it will increase my payload capacity some. I only drive the truck about 6 times a year for a little wood hauling, picking up mulch, Christmas tree duty and such.
Here is a cockpit view and you can see that I like to keep tabs of all the running systems. L to R. Oil Pressure, Temp, Amps, Tach, Air ride controller/PSI, Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Vacuum, Volts, mounted on the cal is a fuel Pres gauge as well.
28-Mar-09004.jpg

Bent Frame is Worse

if the shocks were weak, the springs must be wasted as well
Eeek! Are you sure of that? I've heard that leaf springs can stand to go flat dozens of times and come right back. What I worry about most is that air springs (air bags) can withstand so much load that you can bend the truck's frame with an overload. Afrer that, you are toast. :dizzy:

Eeek! Are you sure of that? I've heard that leaf springs can stand to go flat dozens of times and come right back. What I worry about most is that air springs (air bags) can withstand so much load that you can bend the truck's frame with an overload. Afrer that, you are toast. :dizzy:

Well, the shocks can be shot and the springs still be fine, but leaf springs DO fatigue and sag over time if heavily loaded. If the rear is dragging it's the springs that are tired, while if it pogos up and down over bumps the shocks are shot. If both conditions exist, both springs and shocks are shot. Springs can be re-arched. The thing to remember is that, normally, the shocks do not bear any load. Installing air shocks and pressurizing them to bear load removes load from the springs and spring mounts, which is fine so long as it doesn't break the shock mounts. Evidently some guys get away with it.

Jack

i have broken a few sets of leafs

Well, the shocks can be shot and the springs still be fine, but leaf springs DO fatigue and sag over time if heavily loaded. If the rear is dragging it's the springs that are tired, while if it pogos up and down over bumps the shocks are shot. If both conditions exist, both springs and shocks are shot. Springs can be re-arched. The thing to remember is that, normally, the shocks do not bear any load. Installing air shocks and pressurizing them to bear load removes load from the springs and spring mounts, which is fine so long as it doesn't break the shock mounts. Evidently some guys get away with it.

Jack

How does one go about re-arching leaf springs?

How does one go about re-arching leaf springs?

There are shops that do it. Dim memories from my 4-wheeling days, but it seems like I knew guys who had it done for a little more lift. I don't think it's a DIY project for most of us, requires proper jigs, big press, heat treating. And for something like a Ford Ranger there should be many decent springs available in a junkyard.

Jack

IMHO re arching is a waste of time. All that re arching does is bend the springs back to their original arch with a press (or home-brew with an anvil and hammer), you still have fatigue in the leafs and will be back to square one within no time (especially if hauling loads).

There are plenty of after market springs available for a reasonable price that will far outlast any re arching and be a better use of time and money.

If you work your truck then drop the coin and put a brand new (cry once), if it is a beater than try to re arch them at home by taking the leaf packs apart and hammer along the inside of the leaf against an anvil. Be sure to work slowly and trace each leaf before and compare to see how much movement you are getting.

Kevin, how many miles do you have on that set-up? I've got a F-250 and like the look's of the Timbren bumpers.

A rough estimate would be 25,000 miles. I believe it was the later part of 2006 when I bought and installed them.

Kevin

Back