Air tempature

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone with an OWB checked the temperature of the air coming out of their vents on their forced air system.

I used a meat thermometer to check my temp and here is my results.

If my air temp in my house is 68 degrees, my output temp is around 80 degrees.This gives 12 degree tempature rise.the warmer it is in my house the more tempature rise I get.A close friend that owns a HVAC business said this is great Adding that around 25 degrees outside tempature a heat pump will only give you around 4-6 degree rise.

What is everyone else getting?

When I took these reading the water temp in my OWB was 130 degree.With my water temp at 180 I get around 100 degree air from vents the outside air temp was 35.

Last edited:
I hope that is not with your OWB, just the heat pump. My temp with one of those laser heat guns at the vent is around 120 degrees. It has been up as high as 128. That temp is with 40 degrees outside.

Mac

I'm sure it depends on your air duct plumbing.

my OWB shuts down around 180*, and for the zone that has my parents house, which is basically a poured slab, concrete block walls, single story, all the ductwork was poured in the floor, non-insulated, and the forced air furnace is down draft, their propane furnace sits ontop of the HX for the OWB (air return is in the cieling, and hot air is pushed throughout the house in the floor)

the longest run from the furnace about 40ft, i can get 108* air. Quite impressive when the hot air is zapped from the cold concrete, on top that of air cools as it's pushed around. Moving hot air with a fan is the most inefficient way to heat a house, chills the heat and moves dust everywhere....(wish everything was floor radiant heat...)

If your ductwork is in the attic and insulated, 100* isn't very impressive at all....

I have the same setup as your parents.all my duct work is in a concrete slab .I do get quite a bit of radiant heat as my slab tends to warm up after running heat for a few days.all the floors in my house stay warm enough to sleep on even when it is below freezing outside.

i think it's the best we're gonna get....

my next stove i'm thinking of making, using oil instead of water. as it won't boil until around 400F.....but that's another brainstorm down the line...

i think it's the best we're gonna get....

my next stove i'm thinking of making, using oil instead of water. as it won't boil until around 400F.....but that's another brainstorm down the line...

interesting idea.

what type of oil?

used motor oil.....handy, everywhere, already bought once.....

i suppose if your money bags buy some olive oil?

have to use steel pipe, or have high temp solder joints....
them kinda temps, pipe to a skillet and fry some eggs....

as far as moving the oil, i guess use a hydraulic pump, probably a vickers vane. i don't think engine water pumps could take those kind of temps.

Last edited:
used motor oil.....handy, everywhere, already bought once.....

i suppose if your money bags buy some olive oil?

have to use steel pipe, or have high temp solder joints....
them kinda temps, pipe to a skillet and fry some eggs....

well, get busy...i'd like to see how well it works. you might be onto something there, but, how many gallons of oil would it take?

whatever the water capacity is. I think you'd still need the volume. I plan on making a bigger OWB in the next year to replace my smaller one. The small one is about 150gallon, and we always have a 55gallon drum of used motor oil from all the equipment at any given time, and i can get word of mouth to bring oil my direction.

I plan on giving it a shot, nothing wrong with trying :)

i'm sure it'd work. Only hurl is finding a way to move it, and valves.

whatever the water capacity is. I think you'd still need the volume. I plan on making a bigger OWB in the next year to replace my smaller one. The small one is about 150gallon, and we always have a 55gallon drum of used motor oil from all the equipment at any given time, and i can get word of mouth to bring oil my direction.

I plan on giving it a shot, nothing wrong with trying :)

nope..not at all. in theory, it sounds like a good idea.

but, gees, i sure hope you don't have a leak in the fire box....lol.

Sounds like a great idea,only problem I see is if you had a major leak it would be a mess to clean up and if the EPA got wind of a (SPILL) it would be considered contaminated soil and become a very expensive leak.

of course. I should start a thread asking us with OWB's to post how many leaks spontanously spring with a non-pressured system.....

Back