Alaskan Mills....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theshabbyone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Typically, I lurk forums for years, and my post count can be tallied on one hand... Maybe it's the weather, or the fact that its way past my bed time... but here's a few pic's of some small slabs I worked up in the last couple of days... and my current working setup:

(Jonsered 2171, GB 48" mill, 42" bar with 134 drive teeth (to be reduced again a.s.ap.)

I'm really here to try and gain hints and advice for a more efficient and accurate set up of my rails for the first cut...

Forgive the garbage in the back (or don't)... I hadn't really planned on posting these images publically...

I've been running my saw for six or seven years... and it has always been up to the task of felling any tree I wanted (or needed) to drop. I though I was going to be pushing it beyond its comfort zone with these cuts (20-25" Vt. Sugar Maple), but have been pleasantly surprised with it's performance--such that I'm moving a new powerhead down the list of priorities...

-s-

You got some real nice spalted maple there.

I'm on the way to the sack but here's a few threads with pics for you ponder over.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=47914&highlight=milling

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=48068&highlight=milling

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42223&highlight=millin

I have kept things simple because the logs I use my CSM for are large and irregular. The smaller logs go on the bandmill otherwise I would have rigged some whiz-bang set of guide rails. Maybe some day I'll need to but these work fine for now.

Feel free to ask Q's and I'll do my best to help.

:cheers:

I noticed you're running your channel alluminum even after the first cut...

My general approach has been to take down obvious high points... and then run a few slivers off under my rail (scraped 2x6 steel stud) until I have a 'nicely' established surface... Seeing the pics, I'll play around at cutting my depth plus 1.5" and see if I can make a more consistant (i.e. less finish work) slab. Maybe better discipline with wedges to keep the board off the chain?

Anyway... I've been reading some of the other posts... and the pictures are helpful.

Thanks.

...to hoard it...

We had a nasty windstorm that ripped through around Valentines day, and uprooted some giants...

Presently, I'm trying to work up the wood that I don't think will last much longer unattended...

Plan in my imagination: Next on the list is a few more tools... and some of this wood might go towards funding that step... to that end, I've started contacting a few local cabinet makers with good reputations. If they're interested, I'll invest in a few basic woodworking tools that I've never personally owned, and with the tools and mill, I'll build the solar kiln, then the shop. With the shop, I first protect, then work the wood.

(In reality, winter will set in tomorrow...)

As for being a wood worker... um... I lay stone as a way to earn a living. I would call myself a stone worker, but wouldn't call myself a stone-mason... there is a certain breadth of knowledge that I cannot claim as my own. I can say that I work with wood, but would never claim to be a carpenter--and my stonework is more accomplished (bit of a stretch, that word) than my woodwork.

That's great looking spalted maple. I have some custom knives with spalted handles and they are really nice.

I wonder if you could sell that wood into some kind of market for custom knife makers?

...now I have to get a bandsaw?...

Did a quick couple of searches on knife scales, and saw some beautiful wood... but I'm not equipped to process the wood at that (small of) a scale... Maybe approach it by finding the folks providing the scales, and offer it in bulk? I dunno... Maybe I'll do a little more research.

Back