Alberta Clipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a phone call from a friend of mine in SD. He told me it was around 32 but he had a 1.5' of snow and the weatherman said it was a Alberta Clipper.
Now I have spent the last few day's hunting close to the Montana border and got 1.5 inches of snow why blame us it's nice here:)
I am burning some Cherry I got from a friend in B.C only about 3''x16'' but the house is 80f and I have a window open:) Winter is here yahoo!!!

I shut my OWB down a week ago. Here in Kentucky it has been in the 40's at night - but in the 70's every day and the OWB would just be smoldering away without making heat but about once a day. I suppose I could just build some very small fires - but I was out of town for 3 days and have had a couple of evening meetings - so it was just as easy to shut it down and let the heat pump keep us warm for a while. I do think about the hot water I am using and how it is making my electric meter spin around......

I think we still have a week or so of warm weather before we can expect any cold weather to return.

Maybe this comment should be in a different thread, but you must have been reading my mind O.O. Banjo...temps this week here in the upper reaches of the Commonwealth of Va. have been in the 60's, today mid 70's, cooling off this weekend. I have kept small fires in the OWB, maintaining around 150-160 deg. water temp. Was thinking about shutting it down, but don't know if any damage will happen if I let it go out and refire?

But...I brought the '72 Cutlass ragtop to work today! Top down baby!

:cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap:

I really don't expect that damage will occur from making small fires. The OWB temperature will still be hovering between 180 and 120 or so between firings and there won't be much thermal cycling. When the outside temperature is this warm the only thing we would be doing is preheating the water that goes into the water heater - and one small fire may actually last for several days of hot water. I basically shut it down just to keep rain from going into the stack. I have thought about putting on a rain cap - but my dealer says they make a mess as black condensation and creosote drip fro the cap onto the roof of the OWB. Maybe with small hot fires that burn pretty clean this would not be a problem.

Back