Alder, Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I debated about posting this, but thought I would.

I got asked to check and open up a road. So, I drove up it. It can be a scary road but the Vortec made it OK. But, I came upon an alder bent over across and couldn't negotiate around or under it. Backing up would have caused a bit of pucker, in hindsight I should have done that. I knew the road and knew there was a good turn around spot just around the corner.

I studied the alder, ate lunch while staring at it, wiggled it, and then cleared the blackberries out so I wouldn't trip when hopping back. I made an undercut, then, with Twinkle held out at full length started coming down from the top. I think I rushed it too much. I pulled the bar out when the first crack happened, but it didn't seem like it would finish so gingerly went back in. You can see how far down I got, not very. The tree went and I said a bad word and jumped back. The tree went the way I thought it would. But it still got the heart going and my bad leg muscle cramped. So, the next time the still surviving really good faller comes in, I'll ask him about wrapping alder with chain or something.

Here's the results, I had already thrown the rest of it off the road.
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you make it down in May I will have a chain set up for you to try out if you like. You can adjust it for diameter and really cinch it down I think it will go almost to 30". Hard to explain this thing, but it works well. I used it to help teach my boy, that way we had a little more safety factor while he was/is learning. Times like this I really wish I knew how to put up photos.

Owl

One thing I should add, I notice that sometimes it goes slowly, and you can get way back so it isn't scary, then other times, like today, it just explodes.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the time of year? Perhaps somebody can get a grant and do a study.

Glad ypu got out OK.
Those spring poles can be vicious. I had one break like that and threw the saw back into me so hard that it nocked me back on my a$$ and the saw bounced off me and landed about 15' away. Thankfully it had a good chain break. The bar hit me in the side of the head but the chain had stopped so it just cut me a little on the side of my head under my hard hat. The worst part was the felling dogs stuck into my left shoulder joint pretty deep and was very painful for quite a while.
I think the way the spring poles release might have something to do with the time of the year, but has many other variables involved also.

Latest posts

Back