Alder wood built wood shed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sound like durable enough wood? I wanna build a wood shed about 13'x30'-40 and I've got some alder on my property I can use. Also got some fir but that may be a lot of work to mill those out. Thanks

Sound like durable enough wood? I wanna build a wood shed about 13'x30'-40 and I've got some alder on my property I can use. Also got some fir but that may be a lot of work to mill those out. Thanks
Can’t answer your question about the durability of alder but I can tell you that if you have a smoker alder is one of if not the best wood for smoking meat and fish. Great flavor, not overpowering but a real rich but mild flavor. I like it over apple, oak, cherry and mesquite. Mesquite is the only one I have to pay for.

Alder would wprk as lumber for building as would the fir. The key is drying it first. If you dont try it the building could end up looking like a hobbitt lives there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How long does it take to dry the wood?

The smoker is custom built and all tig welded. I'm going to use some car trunk door lifting arms when i get some time. It's all stainless also. Cost me about 1500$

Great looking smoker...what type of temps are you able to achieve/maintain? I haven't seen one with the firebox separated that far away. Kinda curious about the hunk of wood in the picture next to the meat??

Very impressive design! Looks like you do some good work on it! Tossed in a picture of my offset...sorry to derail your thread.

Attachments

• Family 010.jpg
    Family 010.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • Family 008.jpg
    Family 008.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
I'm not sure if USA Alder is the same as European Alder. Dutch Alder is ridiculously durable as long as it is being kept underwater/ground. Amsterdam is build on it. (Please note that there is no horizontal floor to be found in the older parts of Amsterdam)
Above water it kind of crumbles within a couple of years.
One of the most useless types of outside timber.
Dried and used in furniture or inside sidewalling, no problem. Just like any non cypress timber actually. Nice to work with.

Ps. Wow nice smokers! I have found a new spring project!

Back