Alex Shigo is dead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxburton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just found out from my former professor that Dr. Alex Shigo died on Saturday. He fell down the stairs in his summer home and died as a result. The funeral is for close friends and family only.

"Dr. Shigo’s work in Arbor Care and the development of the CODIT model have completely changed the industry. In his recent retirement, he had freely given of his time to students and educators to expand the knowledge of all of the participants. He will be missed by all who work in biology and arbor care."

-Howard Eyre

Sad news I just found out myself. There is to be a memorial service at TCIA in Baltimore.

All of us who work with trees owe Dr. Shigo our gratitude for opening so many eyes to how trees work, and for allowing us to see trees in new ways.

Very sad news indeed.

I met Al Shigo in the late 90's at a conference at San Francisco State University.

His passion for trees and teaching about them was second to none.

He will be greatly missed.

jomoco

TheTreeSpyder said:
More properly perhaps:

Alex Shigo is deceased;

but his works, understandings and charities that he shared live on!

Thanks KC; the title of this thread seems designed to depress. Why not delete it, and post whatever needs to be said on the Sad News thread?

Last week, a living legend. This week, a Legend.

Thank you, Dr. Alex, for a lifetime of dedication to the betterment of trees.

With all due respect, where is the obituary? I have Googled many different headings to find it, and I cannot find even a single notice of his death anywhere except in here. I am aware that some of you knew him personally so I don't doubt his death and I do mourn it, but it seems very odd that a man of his professional standing could pass without the world at large taking notice.

I had found that obituary and tried to edit my post but the server in here was too busy so I didn't get through. As I tried to post: It is amazing to me that the popular media will jump on tons of coverage when a celebrity actor or politico dies even though that person may have contributed next to nothing for the public good during his/her life time. Alex Shigo's death rated no coverage whatsoever in the popular press, yet we all know that he did so much to improve our knowledge base in arboriculture and to further our understanding of what makes the world of trees operate the way it does. It is a darn shame.

An idea: I just wrote to CBS Sunday Morning, a show that often carries segments about interesting and influential people who may not exactly be household names. I asked them to consider doing a piece on Alex Shigo. If you take the time to do the same, maybe Alex will get a chance to have his life story told to those who might otherwise never hear about him.

Here's the address: [email protected]

There's strength in numbers, so if you take a few minutes to write to this show, perhaps they will do the piece.

Thanks!

i just read it too :(
http://www.treefund.org/

sad stuff, he was amazing, and i was hoping to be able to meet him in the near future.

we can all continue his legacy and support his many wonderful causes!

The scientific work of Dr. Shigo's was undoubtedly by far the greatest agent of change for the good of our trees in the urban environment. He was the Newton, the Einstein, the Darwin of arboriculture. He will be missed.

Touch trees.

Latest posts

Back