all for lack of a cable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This beautiful white oak fell apart last year.. All it needed was a $300 cable... Customer had just bought the house. Said she bought it because she love d the tree... Was renovating the inside before attending to the outside..
Cost her alost 3K to remove and damaged a lot of other plantings etc...

Eh, #### happens... Some people don't understand the weakness of those types of crotches, but unless someone tells them it can be prevented, it'll always be an act of god when they finally give way. Its #### like that that can get an innocent by standard killed without having a clue what hit him.

That's a shame! I saw the Liberty Oak on HH and they have that beautiful Live Oak cabled up good. I try to advise new customers of concerns for all trees on their property not just the ones they want me to deal with. Was included bark the main cause for failure?

Great photo Murphy.

I agree that a properly installed cable or even two or three may have saved that tree. Now it's so damaged that removal is about the only option.

Yeah, very nice shot. How did you get it? Were you in an adjacent tree?

attachment.php

Hi, I am sorry that is what happened as I recently was called to cable an oak probably nearing 100 years old. The problem was that the last company would cable and the cable would break in about two to four years. I explained that cable is a static system and could not absorb load-- I also told him facts about steel cabiling. Two weeks ago I installed a "Treesave" system from Sherrill which is a dynamic system. First time using this and looking forward to years of satisfaction ( 3 to 4 times longer than steel).
I will be there next week if anyone thinks I should show pics. Very cool product and will be recommending this system.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back