All noodles not created equal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagleknight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I had posted in the scrounging thread about 3 loads of hackberry I got from my neighbor. Fresh cut and was very wet. It was a healthy tree they took down. I had to noodle a few rounds to get them loaded. Chance to use my new Echo CS-590. Practically a brand new chain. I noticed it was throwing small chips and dust. It was going slow, but I pushed on. Well the smaller round pulled out my smaller Stihl. It had a sharp chain as well. It threw out small chips and dust as well. Anyone else had the same experience noodling different woods?

Just my .02....

Are you cutting parallel (laid down on its side) down the log or perpendicular (standing straight up)?

Parallel gives you noodles and perpendicular gives you dust.

Perpendicular is the equivalent of ripping and a different degree cutter is preferred for that.

Ripping, with the block standing on end can be hell on the cutters. I dulled a new chain doing that, never again. Noodling is better.

Sure, different wood and chain sharpness can make a difference, but it sounds like benp cracked this riddle.

Standing straight up. Thanks, I guess that is why then.
Good deal!

I have done the same thing while attempting to make my first swedish candle. So your symptoms sounded familiar.:D

Ripping, with the block standing on end can be hell on the cutters. I dulled a new chain doing that, never again. Noodling is better.

Along with the heat that it generates. Yow!! The "Dolmar" print on the bar was GONE after my little experiment.

So I had posted in the scrounging thread about 3 loads of hackberry I got from my neighbor. Fresh cut and was very wet. It was a healthy tree they took down. I had to noodle a few rounds to get them loaded. Chance to use my new Echo CS-590. Practically a brand new chain. I noticed it was throwing small chips and dust. It was going slow, but I pushed on. Well the smaller round pulled out my smaller Stihl. It had a sharp chain as well. It threw out small chips and dust as well. Anyone else had the same experience noodling different woods?

It happens when you noodle through a knot, depending on the angle of attack on the wood grain. It got me a couple times today on a knotty chunk.

Harry K

Well the obvious hasent been mentioned sofar, @Eagleknight sure sounds like your chains rakers obviously wasen't at the correct height, if you are sure that the chain was truely sharp. And since you mention "original" chain, that often means "entry level" oregon chain. Which in my experience is seldom in the "sharp" class when out of an unopened package, even though some cutters apear sharp.

Well the obvious hasent been mentioned sofar, @Eagleknight sure sounds like your chains rakers obviously wasen't at the correct height, if you are sure that the chain was truely sharp. And since you mention "original" chain, that often means "entry level" oregon chain. Which in my experience is seldom in the "sharp" class when out of an unopened package, even though some cutters apear sharp.

Good inference.

The stuff from the box/roll is normally pretty good but the chain that comes on a new saw can sometimes be horrible.

It is an LPX chain. I just picked up 3 more chains, files, and grinding stones for my Granberg. So if something isn't sharp it will be soon, but I am pretty certain it is. I was throwing chips yesterday in big wood.

It is an LPX chain. I just picked up 3 more chains, files, and grinding stones for my Granberg. So if something isn't sharp it will be soon, but I am pretty certain it is. I was throwing chips yesterday in big wood.
Just give the rakers 1/2 -1 stroke with a flat file and go do some cutting. I am pretty sure you will be happy with the result.

Back