All this talk about chains .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good one. You should just file the teeth down a bit, then the rakers from the inside and just tell the guy to flip the chain around when it doesn't cut anymore.

Doesn't seem like he minds a dull edge anyways, prolly won't notice the difference.

I seen chain like that before on the 5105 I bought new. It's a safety chain of sorts with that giant curved raker.

Yup, have a loop of that here somewhere in the shop, some kind of safety chain. Good for cutting hardwood if you sharpen it just right.

The infamous Oregon Vanguard

Yeah, somebody gave me a couple of loops of that. It actually cuts a lot better than it looks like it would. Hit those stupid rakers a couple of swipes every time you sharpen it and its ok.

vanguard chain cuts very smooth. just not as fast as you think a square tooth should.

A few months ago I went in my local Town and Country hardware (recently converted from an Ace franchise) and walked over to their Stihl display to see if there was anything new there. There was. All but one of the saws had the chain on backwards. I discretely pointed it out to one of their employees.

I think I'll stick with my local Stihl full service dealer.

A few months ago I went in my local Town and Country hardware (recently converted from an Ace franchise) and walked over to their Stihl display to see if there was anything new there. There was. All but one of the saws had the chain on backwards. I discretely pointed it out to one of their employees.

I think I'll stick with my local Stihl full service dealer.

Those saws were made in Brazil....southern hemisphere, so run backwards. :hmm3grin2orange:

The infamous Oregon Vanguard

Yep; I haven't seen one in many many years

I was trying it and it cut like *$^@ on the 064 switched chains and it made a huge difference :msp_wink:

Yep, Oregon Vanguard. Bought a new saw and it came with that chain. Sharpen it like any other chisel chain and you will get along just fine. Cant say that it cuts much differently than other Oregon chain or the Carlton that I usually run.

Ron

Latest posts

Back