Almost had a bad day today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawmill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been cutting trees down in the morning and cutting them up later. Well the last tree I cut today almost got me. These trees are real close together so I cut and fall them into my field. The last one twisted on the stump amd rolled toward me and I had to jump to get out of the way. The tree slid on the stump and went between my legs and slid about 10 foot behind me. I am sure glad it was off the stump as my legs are a little short but I think they grew a few inches when the tree was sliding between them. All turned out ok but it made me think a bit.

Glad to see your still alive and walking.....Your still walking right? You may wanna go get some lotto tickets.

I have been cutting trees down in the morning and cutting them up later. Well the last tree I cut today almost got me. These trees are real close together so I cut and fall them into my field. The last one twisted on the stump amd rolled toward me and I had to jump to get out of the way. The tree slid on the stump and went between my legs and slid about 10 foot behind me. I am sure glad it was off the stump as my legs are a little short but I think they grew a few inches when the tree was sliding between them. All turned out ok but it made me think a bit.

Cut through your hinge...? Glad you are oaky...:)

Pound some wedges before cutting into the wedge wood. With that being said, I had a big norway get away from me in the wind at my farm. I was rushing and knew better. The tree did a little dance on the stump. I pulled my logs out and called it a day. At times life lets you get wiser and walk away.

Give your kids a hug tonight.

We all have a bad day or too... I had a gust of wind blow a tree back at me while making my final cut. Just a oh :censored: moment! I just got out of the way, no foul or harm. It happens to all of us wood cutters.

Then you guy's be very careful because, I have only had one get away in 25 years because a rope broke. I now use a winch and I have never had one go between my legs because I am backing away as it starts to fall. I am not trying to brag I just take safety very serious.

Then you guy's be very careful because, I have only had one get away in 25 years because a rope broke. I now use a winch and I have never had one go between my legs because I am backing away as it starts to fall. I am not trying to brag I just take safety very serious.

The "normal" trees that I cut are tiny compared to what most of you guys fell.
The tree was about 16" dia. and 60ft tall. A gust about 40mph got it. It was a pinon pine. And the branches are like sails. Tons of branchs all spread out for the wind to catch. When the tree fell, it hit a cedar. The dang tree hit the cedar so hard that the it split the trunk lenght wise into three even pieces! LOL I just cut it up and had no work split wood! LOL

Last edited:
The "normal" trees that I cut are tiny compared to what most of you guys fell.
The tree was about 16" dia. and 60ft tall. A gust about 40mph got it. It was a pinon pine. And the branches are like sails. Tons of branchs all spread out for the wind to catch. When the tree fell, it hit a cedar. The dang tree hit the cedar so hard that the it split the trunk lenght wise into three even pieces! LOL I just cut it up and had no work split wood! LOL

Oh I have seen all sorts of stuff and have learned to stay clear of the action. The worst I experienced is ice storm powerline restoration and especially the first night ice loaded can't see for #### and the wind starts to pic up. I have never been to war but that is about as close to overhead landmines that I care to experience. You just scratch them and pop they explode and you can forget notching them if enough ice is present. I have worked in about ten so have plenty of time in the trench.

Here is a big old Tamarack we cut a couple weeks ago, knew it was bad going in, didn't know how bad. Only got about a bar width into in it and it started TALKING, real load. We got to hell away from it. I came down in the direction of the lean with out any more help. As you can see wasn't much good wood holding it up. Was one ugly Tamarack... got about 4 cords of good wood out of it though...

With the amount of tree work you do I have no problems whatsoever taking that advice!

:cheers:

Here is a big old Tamarack we cut a couple weeks ago, knew it was bad going in, didn't know how bad. Only got about a bar width into in it and it started TALKING, real load. We got to hell away from it. I came down in the direction of the lean with out any more help. As you can see wasn't much good wood holding it up. Was one ugly Tamarack... got about 4 cords of good wood out of it though...

That looks pretty bad so it when making the notch right? I have had a couple do that always rotten makes for a nice chair though:cheers:

Here is a big old Tamarack we cut a couple weeks ago, knew it was bad going in, didn't know how bad. Only got about a bar width into in it and it started TALKING, real load.

So what the H*LL DO you do when you start into a tree and find that it's rotten?

I mean, I can just see a tree coming straight down on an angle off the stump. \|/

That's where I'd like to see something like a D-9 push a rotted tree over...:chainsaw:

So what the H*LL DO you do when you start into a tree and find that it's rotten?

I mean, I can just see a tree coming straight down on an angle off the stump. \|/

That's where I'd like to see something like a D-9 push a rotted tree over...:chainsaw:

Equipment likely would be a big excavator but use a mallet and a drill to evaluate rot and find the sound wood. That will tell you many things.

Latest posts

Back