Almost time for shutdown for the summer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectsho89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, two more days and I'm letting the fire go out in my NCB-175 for the summer. Patchy frost forecast for Wednesday morning, high thirties for Thursday, then 40's and 50's into the weekend. I've just been feeding more old crap-wood for most of the last two weeks just to keep it going to take the chill off the house in the morning.

I'm leaving on vacation Saturday and don't figure to need the OWB when I get back.

All total, I went through at least 12-13 cords of mostly crappy wood keeping the 3000 sq ft house warm. Gotta get busy with gathering wood when I get back from my trip.

Time to set the wiring in the furnace back to enable the AC....

Steve

I'm just about ready to shut the OWB down as well. Such a hard thing to do. Been tending it everyday since late September. The warmer weather has put my collection process into full gear. Been cutting and splitting everyday for a week or so. I prefer to collect in the warm months, and stay inside soaking up the warmth I created when it gets cold.

:)

:cheers:

I fired mine up 11/1...I'm ready to shut mine down,probably Saturday.I just caught a weather man saying SNOW? on Tuesday though. :monkey:

2 more months

I make DHW with mine and it isn't unheard of to run the heat here in May so I'll keep the OWB going for now and begin to use it to clean up the rest of my crap wood and some pallets.

Heck we are still having frost every other morning here in C Ohio. Ours will burn into May to heat the DHW if nothing else. Last year I shut it down when it got real warm the end of April then burned gas for the next two weeks when it got cold again. The wifey says, kepp it burning!! LOL

Yeah I'm loading about two crotches a day and some light half rotten stuff. This is my first year w/an OWB so I'm not sure how long I'll decide to keep it going. Most likely till the end of the month or so.

I know that when my kids are done with school,I'm moving to a warmer place.

6 months of heating?

:givebeer:

Currently heating my domestic hot water with my OWB. When are the electric rates increasing? I just might burn all year if the rates go to high. I figure maybe a week on a full load for heating my DHW? And besides, this gives me a reason to cut more wood!!!!

This is our 1st year with an OWB (Heatmor) and even though i fired it up with a week or two on the full electric billing cycle, I could not believe the first electric bill. From $400.00/mo to $150/mo. :jawdrop: That's what i pay in the middle of the summer. The 2nd issue besides the heat was the DHW.
My guess is the next bill will be the lowest we ever had since living here 15 years.

So i'll be running mine all year and probably heating my pool soon too.

Wood is here and free with plenty of yard clean-up. No more bon-fires.

I'm down to building one fire a day, inside wood furnace. I build a fire every morning before I go to work to take the chill out of the house and let it go out, the house stays warm until the next morning. It is still below freezing almost every night here. The snow is almost all gone out of my yard just a few patches of snow left. A few of the smaller lakes are now open water, all the big lakes are still frozen.

I still have quite a bit of snow in my back yard which is on a hill and very shaded. In fact, I pulled the snowmobiles out of the garage to load in the trailer and took a hot lap around the yard a few times.

I've been cutting and splitting two or three days per week and end up with a lot of irregular chunks of wood that just don't stack and are not worth saving so I chuck those in. I also have quite a bit of poplar and pine that I just want to get rid of so I've been burning that as well.

I plan on keeping the OWB going until it's "windows open" time. My wife wants a pool this year so I may end up heating that with the burner, I'll at least fill it with hot water while the burner is still going.

This is my first year with an OWB. Anyone have any shut-down hints or tips that they have learned? What do you guys typically do? Drain it? Leave the water in, but have it tested? Clean the inside out and oil it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I still have quite a bit of snow in my back yard which is on a hill and very shaded. In fact, I pulled the snowmobiles out of the garage to load in the trailer and took a hot lap around the yard a few times.

I've been cutting and splitting two or three days per week and end up with a lot of irregular chunks of wood that just don't stack and are not worth saving so I chuck those in. I also have quite a bit of poplar and pine that I just want to get rid of so I've been burning that as well.

I plan on keeping the OWB going until it's "windows open" time. My wife wants a pool this year so I may end up heating that with the burner, I'll at least fill it with hot water while the burner is still going.

This is my first year with an OWB. Anyone have any shut-down hints or tips that they have learned? What do you guys typically do? Drain it? Leave the water in, but have it tested? Clean the inside out and oil it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Drain/purge, add new chemical inhibitor, leave water in, turn on pumps once/twice a week.
Clean out inside

done! Shut er down tonight,now I have to finish residing my wood shed so I can split/stack the 5 cord piled in front of it...

Loaded mine for the last time last night. I'll let it burn down and then clean it out and oil it some evening this week.

Looking forward to October! Never cared much for summer heat and humidity.

I do not shut mine off I run it for the ht water I am afraid if I shut it off the wife will give me hard time about getting wood. I just tell everyone I am running out. Truth be known I still have about 6-8 cord left from last year. Guess I just love being out there running saws swinging the maul.:chainsaw:

Let fire go out Friday,cleaned out ashes and creosote yesterday.Took about 5 hours to clean out all the creosote. A lot of scraping and brushing. Sprayed inside and ash pan with wd40.

The weather here in WV. has been in the 80's since Friday. I have had the A/C on so it is just about time to shut mine down as well. I will wait a few more days though just to be sure the cold weather is finally over then it will be time to start all over stock piling the wood in the wood shed.

Latest posts

Back