Almost went to the hospital today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was using the MS310 in the backyard today cutting up a few logs when I went to roll a log out of the way with my foot.

I raised my leg and felt a tug on my jeans in the thigh area. I looked down and saw a 5 inch rip in my jeans.

My chain caught my jeans and just missed catching my skin. I was very lucky!

I shut off the saw and quit for the day. That was too close.

I guess its time to get a pair of those safety pants.

Any recommendations?

I prefer the Stihl

Nice rugged outer layer..
readily available at most stihl dealerships.
I just wish they would put the buckle in the front where us fat guys can reach it. I have to put them on backwards and spin em around. that twist my shirts all up into a bunch..
LOL

Got mine at my Jonsred dealer (they say Jonsered on them but probably the same company makes them all). Seem to work ok.

I watched my buddy do the same thing a few years ago with a lot worse results. I like these www.labonville.com they've held up great and they're a sponsor. I also got into the habit of setting the chain brake after every cut.:pumpkin2:

I was using the MS310 in the backyard today cutting up a few logs when I went to roll a log out of the way with my foot.

I raised my leg and felt a tug on my jeans in the thigh area. I looked down and saw a 5 inch rip in my jeans.

My chain caught my jeans and just missed catching my skin. I was very lucky!

I shut off the saw and quit for the day. That was too close.

I guess its time to get a pair of those safety pants.

Any recommendations?

In addition to safety while running a saw, they also protect those tender shins while 'wooding'. I got hit again low on shin with a block that rolled, caught me just at the bottom of the chaps. Minor scrape vice a huge patch as in the past. I try to remember to put 'em on wheneveer working around the woodpile.

Harry K

Windwalker-

Your new chaps, that have probably already been ordered (hint hint) will cost way less than stitching up a gash on your leg!~

Glad to hear it was just a tear in your jeans & that you quit for the day.

I watched my buddy do the same thing a few years ago with a lot worse results. I like these www.labonville.com they've held up great and they're a sponsor. I also got into the habit of setting the chain brake after every cut.:pumpkin2:

:agree2:

After awhile hitting the chain brake becomes automatic... a habit you don't even think about.

I just got some husky chainsaw paints on ebay for cheap...was going to get chaps but figured I have to put pants on anyway...why not already have the protection in them : Plus all those buckles looked annoying to me....

I just got some husky chainsaw paints on ebay for cheap...was going to get chaps but figured I have to put pants on anyway...why not already have the protection in them : Plus all those buckles looked annoying to me....

I like chaps so I can take them off for splitting/handling when the extra protection is not needed and keeps my legs too warm.

I like chaps so I can take them off for splitting/handling when the extra protection is not needed and keeps my legs too warm.

That's why I went with chaps as well. I went with the Labonville chaps after reading posts in this forum and others. They are warm as they have 6 ply's of material. I also like the easy on/off of chaps over pants. Plus I can leave my chaps with my saws, so I know I won't get all the way down to my wood lot and realize I left them home. (Saws, chaps, helmet, oil, and gas are all together and get loaded together...)

+1 on setting the brake.

I've learned to set the brake every time I am done cutting a log, even if I am moving to another log a few feet away.

The plus side, is I am teaching this to my two brothers that come out to cut wood, and they are learning to set the brake every time too.

I've knicked my knee twice, once 15 years ago, and once last month. Both times just enough to break the skin, just dumb luck.

I am looking at chaps as well, even though I only cut for firewood, I'd rather be safe then sorry and limping.

When I saw your post, I had to reply: The exact thing (well, worse actually) happened to me in April of this year with my MS310. I lifted my left leg to roll a small log and lifted my left leg into the slowly running chain....14 stitches later(7 inside and 7 outside) on the top of my thigh about 4 inches above my knee. It really barely touched my leg but thats all it took.

The doc who stitched me up said he cuts wood also and has all the protective gear becuase he has seen other chainsaw injuries over the years. The trouble with saw injuries is that it isnt so much a cut as a channel that it cuts--hard to close easily...sorry to get graphic but putting on those chaps now seems like a good use of my time.

I ordered a DVD on chainsaw safety and got chaps. I've cut wood for years without problems, but the safety video really emphasizes using that brake whenever you need to walk or move significantly. The other comments are correct, get the protective gear cause it took me 7 weeks to heal after an infection.

One of the problems with convincing others to use proctive gear is overcoming denial. I still cant convince my brother to use chaps.

Enjoy sawing...its about as much fun as a guy can legally have!

Back