Aloha, boys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, its that time of year again, vacation time that is. Its off to Maui, early Saturday morning (4am to be exact), for a 10 day stint. we've never been to "the islands" before so this will be a new experience for us. The wife and I normally do a yearly Mexico or Carribean thing, each winter. But this year we choose Hawaii, not for any special reason, as long as there is sun and surf, we dont really care where we end up.

One of the final preparations I had to make was to call the propane company and have them top off my tank. A few years back, the propane company, showed up and yanked my 500 gallon tank and replaced it with a cute little 100 gallon jobbie. They said I didnt use enough propane to warrant having a larger tank, they were right. Other than the LP furnace, the kitchen oven is the only other gas burner we have. The last fill-up was late fall, to top off the tank the other day took 21 gallons of propane. Which cost me about as much as it does to fill my car at the gas station. Gee, why do I burn wood again? Not bad, its been a cold winter so far in Minnesota. I cant remember when the furnace last ran, a matter of fact I've had the thermostat shut off
all winter. Any furnace usage would have been from early winter or late fall days when it would be too warm to start the wood furnace and too cold not to have a bit of heat.

For those interested and may know something about Maui, we are staying in the Kannapalai beach area. I guess we really dont have much planned in advanced to do while were there, but I'm sure the wife will have no trouble finding all kinds of things to spend $$$$ on. The only thing I planned for myself would be some fishing. This will be the first time I am bringing fishing equipment along with me on a trip. If I'm going to stare water for over a week, I may as well try and catch a few fish from shore. I have know idea what to expect, I bought a fishing rod that breaks down into 4 or 5 sections, so it can be stored easily in a suitcase. I filled up a flat tackle box with just about anything I could cram inside. There are no license requirements to fish in the ocean, and fishing is allowed everywhere. Also there are on limits on any species of fish, not that I'd have to worry about that anyway. Hopefully I can land a fish or two, but if I dont, at least I tried. I checked into charter fishing, but it seems in Hawaii, its a quite a bit more expensive than charter fishing I've done in Mexico. I may get the fever when I get there. After all, look at all of the money I saved burning wood this year, right.

"Well, its that time of year again, vacation time that is. Its off to Maui, early Saturday morning (4am to be exact), for a 10 day stint. "

Nobody likes a bragger, go away:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
You'll love it reaperman. We went to Oahu in September to attend our son's wedding. I fought it as hard as I could (buisy season, cost too much, etc.), but when I finaly gave in I had a great time.
I wish I had spent more time researching than complaining about having to go. Then I would have known that no license was needed to fish the ocean, and I'd a been fishing my butt off.:)
Be sure to go to a luau. Well worth the price of admition, and that hula dancer told me that those coconuts are real.:clap:

Andy

I had fun bottom fishing in San Carlos Mexico – the what kind of fish is this factor. I can only assume Hawaii would be the same, maybe not it is hotter there year round??? The fishing here we have to drill three feet of ice to hit water! Have fun and be safe.

I hate you.

But have fun anyway. Maui is awesome. I was dissapointed with how built up Oahu is but Maui is what (or was then anyway) what I expected from Hawaii. Take a trip to the top of the mountain while you're there. You can easily stay busy and go broke taking tours. IMHO it is more rewarding to just buy a map rent some scooters (of course you can do it in a car but scooters are the way to go) and explore the island on your own.

ive never went on vacation anywhere. simply never had the money to do it. i have hawaii built up in my mind as the ultimate place to go on earth. thats really my only goal for places to go before i die. enjoy it man i bet its gonna be increadable!

You lucky bum!

IMHO it is more rewarding to just buy a map rent some scooters (of course you can do it in a car but scooters are the way to go) and explore the island on your own.

Have a GREAT time, things like this don't happen often, at least not for us!:cry:
My Grandmother did take me to the Islands after High School Graduation and I did rent a scooter in Honolulu, that was alot of fun...BUT
Two things, be very careful where you park the thing, there are scooter repo men everywhere to swoop them back up and charge you for the repo. Make sure it's an area for parking. I think it was a big scam, there in it together.
Second, there were heckelers driving around yelling at the "tourist", I don't think thats the norm, but just to let you know. Those d*$kheads really bummed my voyage for awhile.
Go have fun and yes, take lots of pictures to share with us all trapped in our "normal" working world.:clap:

Well, its that time of year again, vacation time that is. Its off to Maui, early Saturday morning (4am to be exact), for a 10 day stint. we've never been to "the islands" before so this will be a new experience for us. The wife and I normally do a yearly Mexico or Carribean thing, each winter. But this year we choose Hawaii, not for any special reason, as long as there is sun and surf, we dont really care where we end up.

One of the final preparations I had to make was to call the propane company and have them top off my tank. A few years back, the propane company, showed up and yanked my 500 gallon tank and replaced it with a cute little 100 gallon jobbie. They said I didnt use enough propane to warrant having a larger tank, they were right. Other than the LP furnace, the kitchen oven is the only other gas burner we have. The last fill-up was late fall, to top off the tank the other day took 21 gallons of propane. Which cost me about as much as it does to fill my car at the gas station. Gee, why do I burn wood again? Not bad, its been a cold winter so far in Minnesota. I cant remember when the furnace last ran, a matter of fact I've had the thermostat shut off
all winter. Any furnace usage would have been from early winter or late fall days when it would be too warm to start the wood furnace and too cold not to have a bit of heat.

For those interested and may know something about Maui, we are staying in the Kannapalai beach area. I guess we really dont have much planned in advanced to do while were there, but I'm sure the wife will have no trouble finding all kinds of things to spend $$$$ on. The only thing I planned for myself would be some fishing. This will be the first time I am bringing fishing equipment along with me on a trip. If I'm going to stare water for over a week, I may as well try and catch a few fish from shore. I have know idea what to expect, I bought a fishing rod that breaks down into 4 or 5 sections, so it can be stored easily in a suitcase. I filled up a flat tackle box with just about anything I could cram inside. There are no license requirements to fish in the ocean, and fishing is allowed everywhere. Also there are on limits on any species of fish, not that I'd have to worry about that anyway. Hopefully I can land a fish or two, but if I dont, at least I tried. I checked into charter fishing, but it seems in Hawaii, its a quite a bit more expensive than charter fishing I've done in Mexico. I may get the fever when I get there. After all, look at all of the money I saved burning wood this year, right.
Good for you you only live once! I hope you can sleep at night knowing you are burning gas at home! lol.
I did the same thing back in Dec went to Cyprus for two weeks. Called my Sister to wish her a Happy B Day and she said it was -38 air temp And -45 wind chill. I thought dam My furnace is burning Natural Gas is all I could think of.Came home on the 20th and it was a balmy -33c first thing I did was light my wood stove :)

I was there a while most of 84, Air Force. I loved it there,the sites the people even the smell.Hell I even got a tattoo in Honolulu?????? I always wanted to go back but never stayed married to the wives long enough to share a trip. Maybe one day who knows. Have a great time and be sure to go snorkeling.You'll never forget it.

Have a great Vaca RM! I'm really happy for you. What a super time too get into some sun and fun! My sis and BIL just returned from Costa Rica (Gulf side) after 2 weeks. I told her she only missed -24 weather :clap: She said next time it's more than 2 weeks as it took a week too aclimate. None the less, they were laying in a volcanicly heated stream of 85+ degree water with a deep pool downstream. She said it was like nothing they've ever experianced. Enjoy and Ka Huaka`i Maika`i!

:cheers:

Did you ever see that commercial where the girl puts her teddy bear in dad's briefcase and he takes pics? I think you should take a chainsaw and keep us posted with pics on AS.:chainsaw:

Enjoy your trip! We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon and loved it ... Kuai was my favorite island (least amount of tourist crap). I did enjoy the bike ride down the mountain, pretty neat adventure.
We just got back a couple weeks ago from Riviera Maya, just enjoying the sun and sand.
Fortunately the gas never came on while we were gone...talked my folks into staying at my home to watch our 2 children and Dad of course kept the ole boiler blowing smoke.

Have fun. I went to the big island last year and we had a good time. The wife did roll her eyes at me when I found a stove shop in Hilo and we spent some time in there. They were selling Hearthstone soapstone stoves! Who would have thought on Hawaii that you would find people burning wood?

I hope you do not drink the water there. A friend of mine went to Hawaii a few years ago with his wife, she was pregnant when they came back. He said it must have been something in the water.:monkey: Have fun:D

Ok boy's, here's a few coconut's.:cheers:

Andy

Hawaii2008Dancers.jpg

Hawaii2008Dancers6.jpg

Latest posts

Back