Alright.. Fess up.. Who's NOT ready?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually manage to get 15-20 cords a year and burn 10-15 so I am accumulating enough that I could take a year or two off if necessary. I hope that will not be necessary for a long time to come........:msp_rolleyes:

Holy hell! How big is your house?

Ah....I'm not ready by a long shot, finally managed to get skiddin out some timber last weekend. Now it's supposed to rain for the next week, the anual OWB lighting in October is gonna be a scary situation this year :msp_ohmy:

About 2900 sq ft with another 900 for the garage and then hot water. OWB's eat wood, but I get a nice even heat and endless hot water.

I'm heatin 2 houses, hot water for both, and keeping a 30x70 garage at 45° unless I'm puttering out there. 16 full cord last season, take that blower off that stove laird :tongue2:

:msp_thumbdn: My shed is not full,but I think it should be enough for this season.I have about 4 cord of oak behind the barn that needs to be split and stacked,hoping to save that for next years cold stuff.

My year has been about the same as most,too wet,too hot,too busy... :msp_mad:

same boat here. Spring so wet couldn't cut because of all the rain. Have some to cut up from power line company widening their right of way. But it's going to be "going green" for me too. Strawberries came on, crops planted late, now what little yield needs to be harvested, won't be cutting 'til october. Full time job, running a produce stand, plus taking care of renters crops also. Can't wait 'til the wood is cut and winter to hit to get some rest!

About 2900 sq ft with another 900 for the garage and then hot water. OWB's eat wood, but I get a nice even heat and endless hot water.

Maybe OWB aren't all that! I heated my old 2 story farm house 2400 sq feet all last winter with a inside free standing wood stove and only burned about 7-8 cord.

My wood shed is full with wood I put in it early this spring that was seasoned for a year at my friends farm. I already have the following years wood split and stacked at the farm. I'm working on 2013-2014 wood this fall. All oak, locust, mulberry, and some ash. I'll be happy when I'm 3 years ahead.

Not even close to ready. I'm about 1/4 there. Too many honey do projects and if I work too much on the woodpile before they're done she'll string me up by the shorties and leave me for dead.

It'll get done, always does...just not the ideal situation.

Okay, I will dust your bonnet - The wood I'm working on now should be for 2013/14.

Go ahead, bash away, it's been along haul to get where I'm at. :)

Shari

Nah, I'm not bashing,its been a long row to hoe but I've got 1/2 of2013/2014 hauled home split and stacked plus 6 pickup loads to inlaws house and 6 loads sold. If all goes well,will have next seasons wood done by the time winter sets in. Scott

If all goes well,will have next seasons wood done by the time winter sets in. Scott

Me to, but it's this winters wood I'm not quite prepared for as far as seasoned wood. It was a very hot summer and I just can't take cutting and splitting in that heat and humidity. It has just finally started cooling down enough for me to work on my wood.

Sports

My year has gone about as good. We had a harsh winter here last year with thick ice that didn't melt, which made it almost impossible for me to get much cutting done this winter. Then as luck would have it as the ice started to go away and i broke my foot putting me on crutches and in a walking boot for 8 weeks. Then we had one of the wettest springs we have ever had here. I am a manager at a Factory and I have a wife and 4 kids. So between work and all the sports that the oldest three kids are in has made it pretty tough on me to get caught up. I still have managed to get about 2 cords of wood cut, split and stacked. I still have two and a half truck loads of splitting to do but I am hoping I can keep the furnace going until deer season is over because where i cut i cant cut until after season is over. So yea I know what you mean.

Sounds like you might need to get the three kids interested in the sport of helping out dad with the busted foot make sure they don't freeze this winter!

Work first..play later. ;)

Ya, it gets hot

summer here was brutally hot - no way I was cuttin in that. I'm all over it now though :)

Ya, sucks cutting and splitting when it is hot in the summer, but tell ya whut, if you do it, you can go out to your stacks and see it getting dryer by the day in that same heat.

I usually cut in the morning, then mow when the dew is burnt off and do other chores, then towards evening when I feed the dogs I split some. Not a huge amount, just some rounds. Do it every day, it adds up!

Maybe OWB aren't all that! I heated my old 2 story farm house 2400 sq feet all last winter with a inside free standing wood stove and only burned about 7-8 cord.
I gotta agree with ya', my old farmhouse is heated evenly with a small shrouded stove piped into the furnace duct-work, but it don't make hot water (yet). I was talking to guy about his OWB boiler just yesterday, he told me the worst part was he can't leave home for the weekend in the winter because if the fire goes out the water will freeze and bust crap... WTF! I didn't know that, I thought they used some sort of anti-freeze (maybe some do?). I suppose it's all in what you like... me, personally, I wouldn't like an OWB. I can walk downstairs in my grungy shorts and stoke the fire, never even get a chill... I wouldn't wanna' hafta' get dressed to go out in the winter air to fill the firebox... no-thanks.

I'm a little different 6 cords cut and stacked sitting pretty new wood doctor that I ordered in may not here???
They keep telling me they don't have a full truck load going east yet to send it. I'm not happy!

I should be set for this season and have some backup piles that are seasoned but not all stacked by the woodburner just in case. The goal is to be 3 years ahead. Once I get there then I only have to maintain a year at a time.

I was talking to guy about his OWB boiler just yesterday, he told me the worst part was he can't leave home for the weekend in the winter because if the fire goes out the water will freeze and bust crap... WTF! I didn't know that, I thought they used some sort of anti-freeze (maybe some do?). I suppose it's all in what you like... me, personally, I wouldn't like an OWB. I can walk downstairs in my grungy shorts and stoke the fire, never even get a chill... I wouldn't wanna' hafta' get dressed to go out in the winter air to fill the firebox... no-thanks.

Yeah, I was concerned with freezing my OWB in the beginning. But I went away for a weekend and came back to 100 degree water (usually run it at 150 degrees.) So it would have to be an extended period with very cold temperatures for me to be concerned. Keep in mind that the pump is continuously circulating the water through the heated house also. And I can always get the neighbor to come down the road and tend it once a day if needed. Like you said... it's all in what works for you. I like keeping the mess outside and not worrying about burning the house down if I do have to go away. I just have to put my grungy coat and boots on to fill the firebox.

I'm set for this winter, but my neighbor is another story...

Moved in this summer...standard "one-legged-man-in-a-butt-kickin'-contest" routine when you move...been hitting me up for where to get wood for the winter...I pointed to the 6 standing dead trees on his place (3 of em' locust)...offered to help him cut on my down day this week...he had to go fishin'...I'm not worried anymore.

I'm set for this winter, but my neighbor is another story...

Moved in this summer...standard "one-legged-man-in-a-butt-kickin'-contest" routine when you move...been hitting me up for where to get wood for the winter...I pointed to the 6 standing dead trees on his place (3 of em' locust)...offered to help him cut on my down day this week...he had to go fishin'...I'm not worried anymore.

To be nice, the neighbor is following the rule of cut away first, home last.

He probably knows that locust is safe for another 20yrs, so its best to find places away from home to cut whenever possible.

Last year I was a bit behind going into fall. Really sucked. A buddy with a bunch of standing dead (debarked) cherry saved my butt.

So this past year I cut in the snow in the winter for this year, spring in the rain, summer in the heat and still cutting this fall for next year.

what put me ahead was a huge score this spring of a massive red oak that had been on the ground and bucked for over a year! Thank you craigslist. Had that baby split and stacked by the first week in June.

It's been a very long haul but worth it because now I'm just about done splitting next years wood.

I have a lot of cutting options around here though. When it was too wet to get back in the woods, I cut for the local city, when it was too hot Id cut at about 6am and save the splitting for the evening. Winter there really wasn't much I could do but I like cutting in the winter.

I filled our LP last fall and we still have 65% of the tank left :) Bring it on winter

Got a buddy who is like the OP every year though. He's got a Hardy and he never really starts until this time of year. Why I don't know because he always gets super stressed out about it but whatever. Not my problem. I help him when I can still though.

To those of you in a real pinch, you might try contacting local tree removal companies. Occasionally you can get them to drop off trees or give you access to some. Might save you some time

Latest posts

Back